Rate GCA turf grunds 1-25 (Rate on Surface, Facilities, Wicket etc)

1. Newtown
  2. Lara
  3. East Belmont
  4. Grovedale
  5. St Albans
  6. South Barwon
  7. Torquay
  8. North Geelong
  9. Geelong West
  10. St Joeys
  11. Leopold
  12. Newcomb
  13. City
  14. Guild
  15. BPH
  16. Thomson
  17. Highton
  18. AT
  19. Marshall
  20. Waurn Ponds
  21. North Shore
  22. Murgheboluc
  23. Manifold Heights
  24. St Peter's
  25. Corio
Am I far off the mark???

You are very close but I think you might have rated Guild far too high. Easily the worst shaped ground in Geelong and the wicket and facilities are not exactly of high standard.

You also left Bell Park out

wow.. you need to do some research.
1. AT (geelong falcons train on it and it always sublime)
2. East Belmont
3. South Barwon
4. St Joeys
5. Grovedale
6. Lara
7. Newcomb & District
8. Newtown.
9. West
10. Torquay
11. Murgheboluc
12. City
13. St Albans
14. Leopold
15. North Shore
16. Manifold Heights
17.Thomson
18. North Geelong
19. Highton
20. Corio
21. Marshall
22. BPH
23. Guild
24. St Peters
25 Waurn Ponds (no oval) renting Winter Res

Not going to do a comprehensive list but I will do a top 5 on wicket/ground, not fussed on facillities.

Newtown
Lara
East Belmont
Grovedale
South Barwon

Would have West Kardinia in front of those 5 though.

Rissole you only rate west kardinia because you won a flag on it, probably the only reason why i would personally rate Waurn Ponds ground otherwise it is a bit of a hole

wow.. you need to do some research.
1. AT (geelong falcons train on it and it always sublime)
2. East Belmont
3. South Barwon
4. St Joeys
5. Grovedale
6. Lara
7. Newcomb & District
8. Newtown.
9. West
10. Torquay
11. Murgheboluc
12. City
13. St Albans
14. Leopold
15. North Shore
16. Manifold Heights
17.Thomson
18. North Geelong
19. Highton
20. Corio
21. Marshall
22. BPH
23. Guild
24. St Peters
25 Waurn Ponds (no oval) renting Winter Res

i don't want to get into a slanging match but is this a joke? AT 1sts? You have very little idea, are you a hard wicket player?

And you're a bit bias towards your own club i think, hardly a ground players look forward to going too. But that's your say.

i dont play for A.T i cant stand them at all. ive played on most of turf grounds around geelong and it was easily the best id batted on. i didnt get the fuss about winter reserve the ball didnt bounce above waist height all day last time.

Not going to do a comprehensive list but I will do a top 5 on wicket/ground, not fussed on facillities.

Newtown
Lara
East Belmont
Grovedale
South Barwon

Would have West Kardinia in front of those 5 though.

If you rate the Santa Anna outfield grounds then the top 4 would be higher than South's natural kykuya. If you rate wicket squares then East, Grovedale and South (I am biased!) would be top 3. All upgraded santa-anna outfields are pretty good, and it is just the squares that differentiate them. I have not seen the St Alban's wicket this year so cannot comment but I have heard some good things about it.

Combination of South deck and, though I am biased, Torquay's outfield. Haven't seen anything to beat them.

South's deck is the best I played on in Oz apart from Carlton's VCA deck at Princes Park!

There you go, Dazzler, no keyboard banging this time.... And look after ma m8 Mark!

Obviously you blokes havn't seen the recent renovations getting done at Marshall.. Its had one of the best outfields for a few years now and the pitch has always been good to bat on after christmas.

Overall a pretty good set up considering its one of the smallest cricket clubs in Geelong with no footy club to share a ground with.

1. Grovedale - AAA+
2. Lara - AAA+
3. East Belmont – AAA
4. Newtown – AAA
5. At - AAA
6. Leopold -AA
7. Newcomb -AA
8. St. Albans -AA
9. Marshall -AA
10. Torquay -AA
11. Sth. Barwon -AA
12. Nth Geelong -AA
13. West Geelong -AA
14. St.Joey’s -AA
15. City -AA
16. Murgy -A
17. Highton- A
18. Thomson -A
19. BPH – B+
20. Guild –B+
21. St.Peters – B
22. Manifold Heights -B
23. Corio –B-
24. Nth Shore B-
25. Waurn Ponds –D
As you can see could not separate a lot of ground ratings, number 6 – 14 could be in any order, so come down to personal choice. We are very lucky in Geelong that we have some really great grounds and facilities overall. Yes some need to improve (grounds-no fault of their own because of weather, drought/rain) and would expect this to change over next few years.
My favourite ground to bat on is Thomson, always enjoyed it there. Worst is Guild due to wicket being sub standard and at times under prepared. (Not from a lack of effort from groundsman. Needs more help from others?)
Sth rates high with other lists, for me the wicket lets it down but facilities are on the way up with the upgrades.
One’s to watch and move up the list are Waurn Ponds due to work on ground (current no ground), Murgy & Thomson
Have to reassess my home ground Newcomb. Our square is shocking at the moment. couch grass has not grown becuase of weather conditions. It's going to take some work, so bring Newcomb down to 18. Outfield still in good nick.

I agree with you guys on Jarvis Oval based on the past few years but it will rocket up those ratings next season. The reno has come up really well and we should be playing it on now. Problem there is that the uni won't let us on until next season. Highton, for mine, is pretty average and AT, Thomson, St Peters and Guild are in the same boat. Thomson and St Peters need to be either cut or couched (is that a word?) and Guild's deck is ordinary at best. Having played on South Barwon last year and have played at East Belmont and Grovedale this year, I'd have Grovey narrowly in front of South and a bit ahead of East. The decks we've played on at East haven't had much life in them.

played on grovey, lara after xmas and seen souths last weekend and they are the best grounds in the the gca at this current time, and always found highton pretty good. guild is by far the worst of the 3 leagues, crap rooms, crap smoko, crap ground, its just a crap place to be, should put the ring road through there.

played on grovey, lara after xmas and seen souths last weekend and they are the best grounds in the the gca at this current time, and always found highton pretty good. guild is by far the worst of the 3 leagues, crap rooms, crap smoko, crap ground, its just a crap place to be, should put the ring road through there.
  1. Newtown
  2. Lara
  3. East Belmont
  4. Grovedale
  5. St Albans
  6. South Barwon
  7. Torquay
  8. North Geelong
  9. Geelong West
  10. St Joeys
  11. Leopold
  12. Newcomb
  13. City
  14. Guild
  15. BPH
  16. Thomson
  17. Highton
  18. AT
  19. Marshall
  20. Waurn Ponds
  21. North Shore
  22. Murgheboluc
  23. Manifold Heights
  24. St Peter's
  25. Corio
Am I far off the mark???

1. Newtown
  2. Lara
  3. East Belmont
  4. Grovedale
  5. St Albans
  6. South Barwon
  7. Torquay
  8. North Geelong
  9. Geelong West
  10. St Joeys
  11. Leopold
  12. Newcomb
  13. City
  14. Guild
  15. BPH
  16. Thomson
  17. Highton
  18. AT
  19. Marshall
  20. Waurn Ponds
  21. North Shore
  22. Murgheboluc
  23. Manifold Heights
  24. St Peter's
  25. Corio
Am I far off the mark???

Are u serious Wasiaroota?What happened to Billy Birmingham?Murghe 500,000$ clubroom extension based on the banks of the Barwon River,re-seeded whole ground with drought tolerant turf and fantastic turf square(no football).ONLY A YEAR OLD GIVE IT 1-2 YEARS will take some beating.And u list it behind, well enough said.

Back