Retirements/club Changes 2013/14

Matty James what a ripping bloke, one of the gutsiest openers i have played against. Always gets in behind the ball no matter how quick they are bowling and always lets the bowler know he is up for it. I watched him take a shit load of punishment a few years ago when Plenty CC had Rossie, Salva and Hubber throwing everything at him and he took plenty on the body and gave as much lip back. Eventually given out to a howler and let the umpires know too, vintage MJ.

seems like your old boys are well liked serge...how important are they to your group? and are they going around for sure this year?
experience is so often underated and most ageing players seem to be written off too quickly.

seems like your old boys are well liked serge...how important are they to your group? and are they going around for sure this year?
experience is so often underated and most ageing players seem to be written off too quickly.
Yeah, both Duper and Lanky are important to the group. Both have steady heads and can teach a few things to the likes of Brett Wilding who can be a bit hit or miss when it comes to opening the batting. Glen Rigg has fully recovered from shoulder op as well so hoping to get a full season out of him. The group has remained the same I am led to believe, and hopefully there are no weddings to disrupt the season this year. lol

HB, GB, EL, BU, SM, Ban, Mont, LS, LP, NEW, Cam, HD
Does anyone really care where (if at all) he plays this season? Or do you have some inside info. I like his pot stirring on this forum.
Back to the real stuff. To have a crack at the ladder this season

GB
HD
LS
BU
HB
EL
MONT
Ban
SM
Cam
LP
NEW

I think the scrap for 3rd and 4th will be for anyone between LS-Mont I think there's a fair drop off after that. Rumours are that Camrea have picked up W.G Grace and Fred Spofforth... apparently a couple of the guys down in the 1s there used coach them in high school. Handy cricketers in there day, they won't be the oldest blokes running around in the side.

LP - Dunno what to expect. No Barnett, Gunn, Scanlon or Potter at the least. Would be surprised to see Smith's name on the team sheets. Still, should be better than NEW's 2s.

EL - everyone thinks they'll make it at the start of the year, they've got the best bat in the comp and a bloke who's been up amongst the best few cricketers in the comp in the last 10 years. Thing is, with there bowling attack.. 2 of those 120-130 all out days a season and they'll miss finals. Iron that out and they should make it.

LS - Best batting line up in Money shield. Still, its hard to see what the future is for LS. Can bat there way to a flag... but to what end? will they give Barclay a better crack second time around? I wouldn't have thought so.

HD - I think they'll be the big improvers, had a good mix of players last year. Ad a couple and they'll be there abouts. Little bit worried about the sort of form Peter Cashen brings over from FDCC.

HB - Had some good imports last year. Will they all make the trip out this year? If not, might slide down the ladder and potentially miss finals.

GB - See above.

Mont - I think they'll improve this year and again be there abouts.

SM - Don't know really. When Smith doesn't play there attack is very very average.

BU - In: Gunn, Barnett, Meredith, Curtin, Import Out: Probably the best bowler in the Money.
Lots of ins, a home final up there would be bringing the comp into disrepute. Should be interesting, lots of ins, but the balance of the side will be interesting. Curtin isn't coming off a huge last couple of years. Will definitely improve. Bowling still suspect. But enough good players in there to give it a tilt.

Ban - probably the worst bowling attack in the comp last year when I watched them. Coming from a long way back. Can chase, and will need to.

NEW - Dunno, but I would expect them to struggle. Credit for having a crack though.

HB, GB, EL, BU, SM, Ban, Mont, LS, LP, NEW, Cam, HD
Does anyone really care where (if at all) he plays this season? Or do you have some inside info. I like his pot stirring on this forum.
Back to the real stuff. To have a crack at the ladder this season

GB
HD
LS
BU
HB
EL
MONT
Ban
SM
Cam
LP
NEW

I think the scrap for 3rd and 4th will be for anyone between LS-Mont I think there's a fair drop off after that. Rumours are that Camrea have picked up W.G Grace and Fred Spofforth... apparently a couple of the guys down in the 1s there used coach them in high school. Handy cricketers in there day, they won't be the oldest blokes running around in the side.

LP - Dunno what to expect. No Barnett, Gunn, Scanlon or Potter at the least. Would be surprised to see Smith's name on the team sheets. Still, should be better than NEW's 2s.

EL - everyone thinks they'll make it at the start of the year, they've got the best bat in the comp and a bloke who's been up amongst the best few cricketers in the comp in the last 10 years. Thing is, with there bowling attack.. 2 of those 120-130 all out days a season and they'll miss finals. Iron that out and they should make it.

LS - Best batting line up in Money shield. Still, its hard to see what the future is for LS. Can bat there way to a flag... but to what end? will they give Barclay a better crack second time around? I wouldn't have thought so.

HD - I think they'll be the big improvers, had a good mix of players last year. Ad a couple and they'll be there abouts. Little bit worried about the sort of form Peter Cashen brings over from FDCC.

HB - Had some good imports last year. Will they all make the trip out this year? If not, might slide down the ladder and potentially miss finals.

GB - See above.

Mont - I think they'll improve this year and again be there abouts.

SM - Don't know really. When Smith doesn't play there attack is very very average.

BU - In: Gunn, Barnett, Meredith, Curtin, Import Out: Probably the best bowler in the Money.
Lots of ins, a home final up there would be bringing the comp into disrepute. Should be interesting, lots of ins, but the balance of the side will be interesting. Curtin isn't coming off a huge last couple of years. Will definitely improve. Bowling still suspect. But enough good players in there to give it a tilt.

Ban - probably the worst bowling attack in the comp last year when I watched them. Coming from a long way back. Can chase, and will need to.

NEW - Dunno, but I would expect them to struggle. Credit for having a crack though.

Add Niall Smith to BU from LP too

[quotheard plhortnwide, post: 557368, member: 13482"]Wow, LP must be spewing. Will be interesting to see how many players they manage to fit into BU's first XI.[/quote]
Have heard plenty about departures at LP anybody know who they have signed? Plenty of rumors but any confirmed?

[quotheard plhortnwide, post: 557368, member: 13482"]Wow, LP must be spewing. Will be interesting to see how many players they manage to fit into BU's first XI.
Have heard plenty about departures at LP anybody know who they have signed? Plenty of rumors but any confirmed?[/quote]

LP added Mitch Smith -camrae, Rapp -Lower eltham and Ray Kelsey -n.e.w. Plus Brent Ryan returning

Have heard plenty about departures at LP anybody know who they have signed? Plenty of rumors but any confirmed?

LP added Mitch Smith -camrae, Rapp -Lower eltham and Ray Kelsey -n.e.w. Plus Brent Ryan returning[/quote]Brent Zarafa? heard he is playing the whole year this year, only played 1 game last year. Can you confirm?

Add Niall Smith to BU from LP too
I think young Niall might have a few problems getting cleared from what I hear. And I would imagine it will be quite a fierce contest when BU and LP play each other if Zaf has anything to do with it. You can include the Monty game as one to watch out for too as there is no love lost between Zaf and Potter, and Bowers and the rat pack.

LP added Mitch Smith -camrae, Rapp -Lower eltham and Ray Kelsey -n.e.w. Plus Brent Ryan returning
Brent Zarafa? heard he is playing the whole year this year, only played 1 game last year. Can you confirm?[/quote]Confirm Zarafa playing whole year and doing the full pre season

Sounds like it was a shit fest down there. You want to see them do well because they do give a genuine stuff about developing there young cricketers, with what they've picked up and the import + a full season from Zarafa perhaps they won't slide as much as first thought.

Sorry bingalee. Could you rewrite your post where you were talking about departures and arrivals at le, new etc? Couldnt understand. For what its worth eltham must play finals or tongs will neck himself. Gibbs will bring 350 but he will learn quickly the deficiencies he has in the field and have better rotations and set better fields to restrict big scores being scored. Over a season that could be worth 20-25 runs a game

Where do people think Dick Emery sits in this Lower Plenty walkout? I have heard he came in, told them how it was and clearly it's easy to see the names who didn't like what they were told. I also heard that more than a few players didn't like certain team rules and game plans in place. For example, forcing bowlers to bowl wide of off stump with 9-2 fields. And penalizing the team with sprints for every over short of 80 overs they couldn't bat. Sounds a bit old fashioned to me, either way, big call by the committee to back their coach over most of their senior team.

9-2 field, I don't think I have ever seen one of them! And so you bat only 70 overs, whats that 10 sprints. I don't know what club you play for but at my club we do a heap more running than that. Sounds like Dick has pretty much covered the loses with the recruits that have come in.

Back