Ricky Ponting

ants14

Ricky Ponting

Another innings another millionaire pull shot, and another Ponting dismissal. The amount of times I have watched this man bat in recent times, and he has gone out caught to that pull shot is disgusting, especially early in his innings when his side needs to consolidate after losing a wicket. You hear people bag every other player when they play a bad shot to go out, but it seems as though Ponting is a protected species because of all the things he has done in the past. Now, I take nothing away from what he has done, but seriously, I think it's about time he started valuing his wicket, and the position his team is in alot more, like a true captain should.
Discuss...

Re: Ricky Ponting

ants14;382898 said:
Another innings another millionaire pull shot, and another Ponting dismissal. The amount of times I have watched this man bat in recent times, and he has gone out caught to that pull shot is disgusting, especially early in his innings when his side needs to consolidate after losing a wicket. You hear people bag every other player when they play a bad shot to go out, but it seems as though Ponting is a protected species because of all the things he has done in the past. Now, I take nothing away from what he has done, but seriously, I think it's about time he started valuing his wicket, and the position his team is in alot more, like a true captain should.
Discuss...

So you think that someone who averages 55 with the bat doesn't value his wicket?

water_boy;382905 said:
So you think that someone who averages 55 with the bat doesn't value his wicket?

you read everything i said, and maybe you might understand where i'm coming from.

Should Watson get punished in the similar way for getting out LBW a lot? Should Katich get similar recognition as he gets caught behind square a lot? Should Hussey be not liked because he gets caught behind a lot?

But when you think about it, Watson is great off the pads. Katich is great at those late cuts. Hussey is great at all the drives that cause him to edge the ball.

The reason Ponting gets out there more often than others is because he plays more of that shot. For example Katich gets out caught at point or similar because he goes slashing outside off because 9 times out of 10 it goes for a stunning four.

A lot of other batsmen would duck if they saw a bouncer, or knock it down for a single. Ponting, every time anything is short, goes for it. This is because he is arguably in the top ten pull and hookers of all time. Only one in twenty times will he fail, and they are generally in groups when he isn't in the best of form. And when you have bad form you can't tuck your shot selection away, you have to keep playing them till you get them right. And lately it might have something to do with his elbow.

You can see if an opposition employ short stuff as a tactic against Ponting he can often get off to a blazing start and he gets a 50 even if he can't get his eye in.

Boris;382940 said:
Should Watson get punished in the similar way for getting out LBW a lot? Should Katich get similar recognition as he gets caught behind square a lot? Should Hussey be not liked because he gets caught behind a lot?

But when you think about it, Watson is great off the pads. Katich is great at those late cuts. Hussey is great at all the drives that cause him to edge the ball.

The reason Ponting gets out there more often than others is because he plays more of that shot. For example Katich gets out caught at point or similar because he goes slashing outside off because 9 times out of 10 it goes for a stunning four.

A lot of other batsmen would duck if they saw a bouncer, or knock it down for a single. Ponting, every time anything is short, goes for it. This is because he is arguably in the top ten pull and hookers of all time. Only one in twenty times will he fail, and they are generally in groups when he isn't in the best of form. And when you have bad form you can't tuck your shot selection away, you have to keep playing them till you get them right. And lately it might have something to do with his elbow.

You can see if an opposition employ short stuff as a tactic against Ponting he can often get off to a blazing start and he gets a 50 even if he can't get his eye in.

well reasoned, at least you counteract my argument with points rather than abuse.

ants14;382967 said:
well reasoned, at least you counteract my argument with points rather than abuse.

You do have a very good argument though.

Ponting should really notice when a plan is going into action. There is a man 3/4 of the way to the boundary on the legside, one deep and one close to catch those mistimed shots. He's played 140 odd Tests, there is significant data to draw conclusions from.

Maybe he should consider selecting his shots a little more carefully, only going for things that are really there.

I just don't want him playing a game other than his own. For a guy that is averaging 58 over the past ten years, he has only just started to slow down ever the slightest, so I don't want him doing anything drastic.

Ordinary shot he played today, no argument from me.

I think calling it 'disgusting' is a bit strong, that is probably a bit harsh considering it's just a game.

Look, on one hand Ponting has scored an enormous amount of runs from the shot so every now and then he will get out to it. That's fine. Today though was strange because it was first ball, the pull shot is an instinct shot, against really quick bowlers (145+) it can sometimes be hard to hold yourself back from playing the shot because the extra pace has all our senses on alert.

It's one of the reasons why I feel Johnson gets a lot of wickets from crap balls, because with his extra pace the batsmens first thought is to get bat on ball.

There is no doubt Ponting isn't at 100% with his elbow, that has to be considered.

But it was a poor shot, no arguments there, and it really set us back.

But still, Ponting can't be the hero every time we go to bat.

Although it would be great if we was, I remember back post Ashes 2005 he was on fire, literally everytime he went to the wicket you thought his a better then even bet of scoring a ton today.

His ODI form after this years Ashes was electric as well, his injury is obviously inhibiting him somewhat otherwise he wouldn't be batting with an armguard.

He doesn't really seem to be out of nick, that innings in Melbourne was vintage Ponting, so I think a big score is just around the corner, hopefully.

water_boy;382905 said:
So you think that someone who averages 55 with the bat doesn't value his wicket? You are an idiot.

T.A Offspinner;382956 said:
do you not listen to anyone or are you just plain retarded, of course he's not going to be 100% he's coming off an elbow injury and some bad form that's all there is too it...

Really, can we just reply without the petty insults? They may be tolerated in club chat but not outside of that area. Carry on and yellow/red cards will be dished out.

As for Ponting, who knows. He's probably still feeling the elbow but then again maybe he shouldn't have gone for the shot he did. It happens though, it's called cricket.

I really miss having Langer, Hayden and Ponting. The three most influencial batsman ever in the game, statistically and in everyone's mind as well. Together, all 3 combinations of their batting broke partnership records and if you got the early wicket, you still had the other two to take care of.

Boris;383009 said:
I really miss having Langer, Hayden and Ponting. The three most influencial batsman ever in the game, statistically and in everyone's mind as well. Together, all 3 combinations of their batting broke partnership records and if you got the early wicket, you still had the other two to take care of.

Huge call. Elaborate on what you mean by 'influencial', because there's a hell of a lot more accomplished batsmen throughout history than Langer and Hayden.

I was hoping that this thread was about Pontings lack of imagination and tactical nouse on the field.
For example his field placements today are simply astounding.

But no, it is bitch fest about one of the finest batsmen of the modern era making a mistake.:rolleyes:

Choosing to bowl first on a greentop in overcast conditions because "we prefer batting first" suggests a lack of imagination and tactical nous to me?

a for effort;383032 said:
Choosing to bowl first on a greentop in overcast conditions because "we prefer batting first" suggests a lack of imagination and tactical nous to me?

Is it just me and my hangover? Or does this make no sense?

“Just remember, when you win the toss , nine times out of ten you bat first… on the tenth time you think about putting the opposition in , but you still bat first” (“Chappelli speaks out”)

At least someone thinks Ponting got it right.

Good or bad decision there were some horrible shots, Hussey's was bad but Haddin's was reprehensible.

a for effort;383037 said:
I thought the 'mistake' you were referring to was Ponting's decision to bat, not his terrible shot.

With you now mate.:)

I was referring to the bagging of his shot selection though.

Back