Season 14/15 Rumours And Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a discussion with a few players around the twilight game and the light, and we ended up doing a bit of research into the times of day light during summer.

Turns out, that the start of December you get the most light for the longest period of time, later in the day. So the comments around it being better in Jan/Feb are not accurate and the DVCA have picked the perfect game for the twilight match.

Obviously pending weather.

Just noticed we have a twilight match...bring your night vision, especially if we are still using that Platypus thing that kinda resembles a cricket ball. Surely running it in Jan/Feb is a better option if they want to do that. Even last season in the GF light was an issue at the end of the day and I know because I was at the crease on the end of day 1!

People always have a better options of how to run things, especially sitting on the outside. Sometimes it would be nice to hear someone actually just say 'Good idea'.
It is a trial, if it doesn't work, it will be looked at and tinkered with.
It is a way to get all lower grades back to the senior grounds to watch the 1st XI teams play.
Let's cross our fingers and hope for good weather for 2 Saturdays.

People always have a better options of how to run things, especially sitting on the outside. Sometimes it would be nice to hear someone actually just say 'Good idea'.
It is a trial, if it doesn't work, it will be looked at and tinkered with.
It is a way to get all lower grades back to the senior grounds to watch the 1st XI teams play.
Let's cross our fingers and hope for good weather for 2 Saturdays.

With that in mind, should they kick the lower grades off half hour- an hour earlier that game?

With that in mind, should they kick the lower grades off half hour- an hour earlier that game?
With juniors being played on some secondary grounds on Saturday mornings, this may not be an option. But could be thought of.
A lot of blokes down the grades work on Saturday mornings as well.

With juniors being played on some secondary grounds on Saturday mornings, this may not be an option. But could be thought of.
A lot of blokes down the grades work on Saturday mornings as well.
True. My 2 cents for what its worth is that if they're going through the effort of having a twilight game they should kick the other games off earlier. They can coordinate this with the juniors. Even a half hour would make a difference. Increase the incentive for guys to get down and watch some cricket.

I've always though the lower grades should start whenever they are ready (before 1pm that is). It's not like teams in the lower grades do 1st XI hour long warm ups and from what I've seen, it's a can of coke a ciggie and lets go.

Great idea of the twilight fixture --totally F...s us though as we already have a private functions and a club one booked on those dates which cannot be amended.
Going to have to kick people out of the rooms prior to stumps on day 1 :-(
Day 2 if we are true to form will be done by about 5 anyway...

Anyway enough about the fixture, it's a snooze fest reading about it. How about some early season predictions of which teams could jump and which might slide...
Plenty seem to be assembling a reasonably formidable lineup. Additions of S.Villani, Rosbrook, Zull, Hubber with pressure taken off Johnson to focus solely on making runs. They could be my bolter. As far as teams to slide, how are Riverside placed? Any additions who will make a difference? Can't see them improving at all and could be under the pump...

When you finish second last and avoid relegation by 1 game, you probably shouldn't be pencilling in wins.

Typical Monty, have to live on past achievements because yet again, they got into another Final and choked. Its a common theme across all sports at that club, hey!

With only two weeks until round 1 and clubs settled in with new signings etc, i think its about time we get some predictions going?? And why
I'll start:

Barclay- (Not familiar with Barclay clubs, hence comments on few clubs)

Creek
Lower Eltham
Rosanna
Macleod
Plenty
Research/Eltham
Bundoora
Riverside
St Francis/OP
Epping
Bundoora United
North Eltham

-Creek and LE always solid sides, cant see them changing much
-Rosanna did well accustoming to new competitors, should see them improve on last year
-Plenty picking up quality bolwers with rossy and cocking
-Bundoora United, not sure if the bats will be able to chase down 300+ every week on that ground, or set large enough total for their lack of bowling to defend. Lost key bowlers without barclay standard signings (although were premiers, were not strong contenders for majority of the season)

Money Shield-
Lalor Stars
Greensborough

Mernda
Eltham
Heidelberg
Lower Plenty
Monty
Camrea
Hurstbridge
North Eltham
Banyule
Mill Park

-Lalor, if scott plays season then are real dangers with their strong batting line up
-Greensborough always seem to be strong contenders along with stars. Home and away season is always strong with their quality young players, though everyone knows how it all changes come finals. Have lost quality players but apparently have recruited well in the experience department.
-Eltham, always going to be up there when a bloke can bat 80 overs every week, have good young talent, should improve on last year with increased experience and picking up gutterson as bowling stocks let them down throughout last season.
-Mernda, were relegated but rumoured to have recruited well. May relish at the drop in standards of Money vs Barclay
-Heidelberg, good quality side with young talent lead by club greats, though young talent seems to falter when it counts, hence in and out of the top 4.
-Lower, babies of the money shield, lead very well last year by bowers and kelsey, showing promising signs for the future and have knocked off greensborough past 2 seasons.
Monty, rumoured to have recruited well, if potter doesnt bowl ever week, they should improve on last season.

Hearing nothing out of the rest of the clubs, tbh not much to write about, unfortunately they seem to just fill in the gaps at the end of the day

-Bundoora United, not sure if the bats will be able to chase down 300+ every week on that ground, or set large enough total for their lack of bowling to defend. Lost key bowlers without barclay standard signings (although were premiers, were not strong contenders for majority of the season)

300+ every week at the kennel huh? LOL, ok, just remember it's only hubris if you fail. Research Park is about the same size and how many times is 300 scored there? As for that last statement, if going undefeated since the end of November doesn't make a side a strong contender, then what the hell does? I guess you can take us off the list of clubs you are apparently familiar with.

I appologise if my comments offend you, though they shouldn't if you believe in the boys down there. At the end of the that is only my humble opinion, no point jibber jabbering about the matter as it's each to their own. Stats will speak for themselves either way come march, I'll be happy to eat my own words then and tip my hat to the likes of Barnett and Cunningham.

300+ every week at the kennel huh? LOL, ok, just remember it's only hubris if you fail. Research Park is about the same size and how many times is 300 scored there? As for that last statement, if going undefeated since the end of November doesn't make a side a strong contender, then what the hell does? I guess you can take us off the list of clubs you are apparently familiar with.

Whilst I may not agree with every one of his points, at least he put in the time and effort to do a write up. Why don't you give us your very insightful two cents worth on one of the grades and see how accurate you are?

Whilst I may not agree with every one of his points, at least he put in the time and effort to do a write up. Why don't you give us your very insightful two cents worth on one of the grades and see how accurate you are?
Too right Tongs, merely trying to get some decent chat going on within this forum... There will never be a day where everyone agrees on the same thing within such a topic, as everyone comes from different clubs/backgrounds therefore perspectives. Therefore best to cut the banter and put your efforts into your own write-ups where you have the opportunity to rebut any comments you may not agree with.

Far from offended, I'm rather amused and I don't know enough about the wider competition to put in a full write up, thus I can only rebut your comments on my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back