Senior Division 10/11

re: Senior Division 10/11

Kev Davis;377873 said:
Having worked at the city of glen eira and knowing the management well, the decision would have been a last resort and made in the best interest of the home clubs.

if only bayside council put as much thought and care into their grounds, hampton migth be a decent ground to field on.

Kev, I agree that Glen Eira do a good job (generally) when it comes to grounds, but I also happen to know that they did not consulate one VTCA Club within their municipality about the status of their ground. I can confirm that all VTCA Clubs within Glen Eira had a well prepared wicket, with one Club (McKinnon) laying covers all week to ensure a game was played. The Council did not even have the courtsey to let the Clubs know - only informing the VTCA who were forced to text all Clubs at the last minute.

How is it fair that sub district played? Have Ormond and Caulfield got a roof over their grounds?? Not the last time I looked!!! This is certainly the "one rule for them" and "one rule for us" scenario.

I know that at least one Club has reached out to their local council member asking him to look into it.

What are Clubs paying for if not to play cricket? How can a ground not more than 1 km from another be fit to play on but the other not be?

Glen Eira curators are slack and are taking Clubs for a ride.

If what Northern says is right, in that the Clubs are meeting with the VTCA, I hope they get right into Council and the Parks department.

I have also heard on the grapevine that the reason Council called off the round is cause they "thought" the VTCA were going to call it off. Last I checked, it's not Councils decision to call of a round of cricket - is it?? Council should have let what any reasonable person would do, and let clubs report to ground and make the decision for themselves. Clubs would not jepordise a win / loss or risk ruining their wicket if they thought the wicket was unplayable.

So in response to your comment about Glen Eira would have only done what was in the best interest of the Clubs, I respond by saying PIGS AR_E!! They did what was in the best interest of them and their precious parks department!!! What would have been in the best interest of Clubs would have been to let them play - lets remember, we are here to play cricket!! I think that they have forgotten that.

Oh and they might do well to remember that those clubs who were forced not to play, have over 1000 members amongst them - many of whom I imagine live in the Glen Eira municipality. If I was a Councillor, I would be doing all I could to get answers from those who made this stupid decision, so it didn't cost me my job!!!

Agree with alot of that ,but two or three pitches were not prepared at all that being North Caulfield, South Caulfield and Bentleigh, so how you can say well prepared i don't know. Drove past Mckinnon on Thursday and Friday and there were NO covers down.

southern sledge;378422 said:
Agree with alot of that ,but two or three pitches were not prepared at all that being North Caulfield, South Caulfield and Bentleigh, so how you can say well prepared i don't know. Drove past Mckinnon on Thursday and Friday and there were NO covers down.

Southern, what you say is partly correct, in that two or three pitches were not prepared at all - but not prepared by Council. I know that one club were able to prepare a wicket themselves on the Friday afternoon and from all accounts it was one of the best wickets they have seen all season. Having prepared it themselves and with no help from the council curator even those inspecting it from Council agreed it was a good wicket - go figure!!!

I also drove past McKinnon (obviously at a different time) and saw covers on Thursday.

Anyway, not to split hairs, the issue here I believe is the Council got it wrong and have ended up with egg on their face. They should not have been allowed to call only the VTCA and MCA games off - it's hypocritical of them and I hope someone gets a big kick in the bum for it!

lifemember;378424 said:
Southern, what you say is partly correct, in that two or three pitches were not prepared at all - but not prepared by Council. I know that one club were able to prepare a wicket themselves on the Friday afternoon and from all accounts it was one of the best wickets they have seen all season. Having prepared it themselves and with no help from the council curator even those inspecting it from Council agreed it was a good wicket - go figure!!!

I also drove past McKinnon (obviously at a different time) and saw covers on Thursday.

Anyway, not to split hairs, the issue here I believe is the Council got it wrong and have ended up with egg on their face. They should not have been allowed to call only the VTCA and MCA games off - it's hypocritical of them and I hope someone gets a big kick in the bum for it!

There are some circumstances where clubs are not allowed to touch the wicket in regards to preparation. At Spotty, we are lucky (in some ways) that we have a council appointed curator. He does a great job, but as I said, no one else is allowed to even operate the roller. As I have mentioned in another post, we are also extremely lucky to have Len Robbins assist with our centre table and also manage our turf practice wickets. Len has come from the Melb Uni club and for those who have played on wickets he has prepared over many years at district cricket will tell you he is right up there with his knowledge and thus quality wickets. But, because we have a council curator, he is not allowed to prepare the match wicket unless the curator says he can. Well, there's my 2 bobs worth...

lifemember;378424 said:

Those 3 are prepared by council curators and not very well. Bentleigh started to make their own pitch on the Friday and thats when the shit hit the fan.
Len Robbins was one of thr great curators in this country and did Toorak Park for many years before going to Uni.

lifemember;378416 said:
Kev, I agree that Glen Eira do a good job (generally) when it comes to grounds, but I also happen to know that they did not consulate one VTCA Club within their municipality about the status of their ground. I can confirm that all VTCA Clubs within Glen Eira had a well prepared wicket, with one Club (McKinnon) laying covers all week to ensure a game was played. The Council did not even have the courtsey to let the Clubs know - only informing the VTCA who were forced to text all Clubs at the last minute.

How is it fair that sub district played? Have Ormond and Caulfield got a roof over their grounds?? Not the last time I looked!!! This is certainly the "one rule for them" and "one rule for us" scenario.

I know that at least one Club has reached out to their local council member asking him to look into it.

What are Clubs paying for if not to play cricket? How can a ground not more than 1 km from another be fit to play on but the other not be?

Glen Eira curators are slack and are taking Clubs for a ride.

If what Northern says is right, in that the Clubs are meeting with the VTCA, I hope they get right into Council and the Parks department.

I have also heard on the grapevine that the reason Council called off the round is cause they "thought" the VTCA were going to call it off. Last I checked, it's not Councils decision to call of a round of cricket - is it?? Council should have let what any reasonable person would do, and let clubs report to ground and make the decision for themselves. Clubs would not jepordise a win / loss or risk ruining their wicket if they thought the wicket was unplayable.

So in response to your comment about Glen Eira would have only done what was in the best interest of the Clubs, I respond by saying PIGS AR_E!! They did what was in the best interest of them and their precious parks department!!! What would have been in the best interest of Clubs would have been to let them play - lets remember, we are here to play cricket!! I think that they have forgotten that.

Oh and they might do well to remember that those clubs who were forced not to play, have over 1000 members amongst them - many of whom I imagine live in the Glen Eira municipality. If I was a Councillor, I would be doing all I could to get answers from those who made this stupid decision, so it didn't cost me my job!!!

i understand it's frustrating, but look at it this way, would clubs rather play on a wet and dangerous wicket and stuff that wicket up fir the remainder of the season(with most clubs only having 4 wicket blocks, wouldn't be good) or miss a week and have half decent facilities until the end of the season?

also take into consideration a player is severely injured on a dodgy wicket on saturday due a ball lifting off a length and decides they need compensating for their injuries, who does it come back to haunt? not the bowler, not the league, but the curator who handed the ground over to umpires prior to the game.

at the end of the day not everyone will be kept happy, and players and clubs are always quick to criticise curators and councils for crap wickets or not getting away, but very rarely do you hear of praise when they do what is in the best interest of everyone.

if you want to be guaranteed a game of cricket each weekend, plenty of concrete cowboy clubs out there, join them or buy a ps2 and cricket 09.

we were lucky enough to have vossy bust his arse off on friday and saturday whilst on holidays from work to get a pitch up and it played pretty well, all credit to him! but we never expected to play as on turf pitches, games are never certain to start.

Kev, seeing you work for Glen Eira i think your comments are a little biased and nqr.
Most 1st X1 grounds in GE have at least 5 strips and they were not dangerous last week, the trouble is curators who get paid crap and show no pride in what their doing as a result they don't need to bust their arse for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon, instead of sitting in their car or their shed.

southern sledge;378486 said:
Kev, seeing you work for Glen Eira i think your comments are a little biased and nqr.
Most 1st X1 grounds in GE have at least 5 strips and they were not dangerous last week, the trouble is curators who get paid crap and show no pride in what their doing as a result they don't need to bust their arse for a couple of hours on Friday afternoon, instead of sitting in their car or their shed.

mate no bias here, havent worked at glen eira for the last 8 months.
everybody needs to lay of the curators and start worry living out whats happeneing in their perfect world.

give the curators a break, if it wasn't for them we'd all be concrete cowboys.

maybe a suggestion is for the VTCA to employ all curators next season and pay a wealthy wage to them so that these issues can be managed to their expectations.

i've done my fair share of whinging on here, but i have never heard so much whinging about an issue which is absolute crap.

when you have close to an inch of rain in one arvo play is going to be unlikely to get away.

should i mention our ones didnt get away at port melb vut no-one is slagging them off.

if you want reason why the councils decision was good, look at the pardale united game on the weekend, parkdale all out 39 and nth caulfield 25. tell me that is the sort of cricket people want to play?

How can a ground not more than 1 km from another be fit to play on but the other not be?

A few years back we played at Bentleigh, lost the toss and bowled. They made about 165 in 58 overs. We ended the first day 4/40. All our top order gone. Turn up the next week to a wet deck, but not wet enought to not play. I took a quick drive to McKinnon, which is not 1 km away and strike me pink, an absolute road!!!!! Not sure hopw this can happen, but we did end up passing them 9 down so we had the last laugh that day.:D

Kev, you know those curators pretty well and deep down you know they are crap, they don't have the heart for it, for christs sake i'm told they won't even touch the covers and the clubs are expected to send someone down on a Friday morning. An inch of rain is crap.

southern sledge;378660 said:
Kev, you know those curators pretty well and deep down you know they are crap, they don't have the heart for it, for christs sake i'm told they won't even touch the covers and the clubs are expected to send someone down on a Friday morning. An inch of rain is crap.

maybe they dont have the heart, never once in this conversation did i say they were any good, i just said back of and let them be, they didnt make the decision, it was the supervisors who have the final say

your right an inch of rain is crap, it was infact 33mm of rainfall on thursday which is 1.2992125984266 inches!

there just seems to be alot of average cricketers expecting to rock up and play on decks of MCG standard.

as for the covers, every club i have been involved with as a player or curator is responsible for the removal and putting down of covers, so it won't hurt some of the clubs whos players were born with a silver spoon in their mouth to get of their backside and put some effort in around the place to earn their game of cricket instead of being served everything on a platter. FFS we are not all saurav ganguly and have offsiders paid to put our pads on!

The supervisors, bullshit those two curators just couldn't be bothered at 1pm last friday when the decks had dried out to go and put in and try and get them up . Sorry Kev you have lost the plot and you arnt in Glen Eira anymore so you don't know.

southern sledge;378693 said:
The supervisors, bullshit those two curators just couldn't be bothered at 1pm last friday when the decks had dried out to go and put in and try and get them up . Sorry Kev you have lost the plot and you arnt in Glen Eira anymore so you don't know.

Inappropriate language will not be tolerated on this forum, especially from a moderator who should be setting an example.

If your so worried about the condition of wickets and who is responsible for making the final decision on them, why dont you suggest that the vtca obtain a grounds manager who is well respected amongst the councils and who is regularly kept in the loop.

Kev Davis;378691 said:
maybe they dont have the heart, never once in this conversation did i say they were any good, i just said back of and let them be, they didnt make the decision, it was the supervisors who have the final say

your right an inch of rain is crap, it was infact 33mm of rainfall on thursday which is 1.2992125984266 inches!

there just seems to be alot of average cricketers expecting to rock up and play on decks of MCG standard.

as for the covers, every club i have been involved with as a player or curator is responsible for the removal and putting down of covers, so it won't hurt some of the clubs whos players were born with a silver spoon in their mouth to get of their backside and put some effort in around the place to earn their game of cricket instead of being served everything on a platter. FFS we are not all saurav ganguly and have offsiders paid to put our pads on![/QUOTE]

Couldnt have put it better myself Kev,well said..............;)

southern sledge;378815 said:
Mate you are from the Willy comp at this stage, what would you know about the Glen Eira council curators.

If you read the bold in Kevs post pal,it was about cricketers(like you)& covers in general..........What I know about Glen Eira council is the about same as you know about cricket.......sweet FA............:eek:

On another note for any Keilor and RPB boys out there.. S.Porter playing for North Melbourne against Ringwood. 242* of the best and C. Hillas 111.

wow..lots of huge scores in premier yesterday. No doubt Hillas and Porter are good players but to notch up those scores against the best bowling attack going around in premier cricket is pretty amazing.

DizzyGillepsie;379038 said:
wow..lots of huge scores in premier yesterday. No doubt Hillas and Porter are good players but to notch up those scores against the best bowling attack going around in premier cricket is pretty amazing.

Porter = Freak... He made 100 against Doutta a couple of years back, coming in to bat with 20 overs left
Agianst that side, It is ridiculous. 240, and got declared on so could have been possibly 260-70

Back