Senior Seconds 09/10

Re: Senior Seconds 09/10

DizzyGillepsie;368842 said:
Thread created for Jacko....

Thanks Dizzy, you're too kind. If only you Spotty blokes would treat my bowling with the same degree of generosity!

I'm not sure that I'll spend too much time in the 2nds this year. We've picked up lots of young blokes who we will want to give a go. I might struggle to hold a place. Mozza has been appointed captain of the 2's, which is great for us. Jika will captain our 3's on Sundays and I may find myself a game with him I suspect. I'll try to get a few wickets and break into the 2's before we face you blokes.

Regardless, I'll be keeping an eye on this forum. Having regular contributors from Spotty, Youlden, Royal Park & CY's last year added some interest to the comp. Gave you blokes something to say when I batted in the semi I noticed. It would be great if a few more sides can join in this year.

I'm looking forward to another season, hopefully i have done enough to get a spot in the 2's again. I see CY's have recruited well and could possibly go in as favourite. i think royal park will still be strong even if blokes go up to cover their blokes that have gone to district. I can't really comment on some of the old senior north and senior south seconds teams from last year as I haven't played them but i'm looking forward to a nice cruise back from that way on a hot saturday evening with the windows down and the music pumping :p

Jacko, unlike us slow (but Wiley) old medium pacers, leg spinners get better with age!!!! Peter Taylor didn't debut for Australia until he was 55 or something like that. He at least looked it.

One piece of advise, please remain upright when bowling in the nets!!!!:D

Mozza;369146 said:
Jacko, unlike us slow (but Wiley) old medium pacers, leg spinners get better with age!!!! Peter Taylor didn't debut for Australia until he was 55 or something like that. He at least looked it.

You wont need him Mozza, with 40 overs a day already tied up. Jacko can debut as a hard hitting opener in the 3's, with a few overs of leggies to clean up late in the day

Mozza;369146 said:

Moz, you're old enough to remember Peter Taylor bowled offies. Bob Holland was the grey haired leggy.

Not sure I'll be playing anything this weekend thanks to my much publicised spill. At least I wasn't playing netball!

gday all & welcome to season 2009/2010!!

some interesting results from saturdays play: last seasons premiers royal park/brunswick an early wobble, old essendon grammarians & south caulfield cellar dwellers perhaps, williamstown cyms brave against airport west/st christophers but look to have improved, spotswood & yarraville club havent lost anything it seems.

we travelled to spotswood where its always a pleasure to play. we just couldnt get there in the end as spotswood batted beautifully to post 6cc/223 with bradley knocking up a chanceless 102*. we followed up with a respectable 7cc/182 with robertson contributing 73*.

it was a belter of a pitch to bat on (kudos to the curator) as i hurried to 27 in no time & was starting to enjoy myself when i faced dizzy who bowled me a "half track, piece of rubbish" ball that shouldve been another boundary & i managed to find the tallest player on the field in molan at backward point & offered him the simplest of catches!! walking off, dizzy & i looked at each other, smiled & shook our heads in unison.

the best to all teams & players for this season...

you know the old saying "shit gets wickets" :)

never really felt comfortable with the ball on saturday, so i have something to work on this week. good to see a few new faces in your line up, robertson did bat very well for his 70 odd. still early on in the season, so i can't really comment on who the strong teams are now that seconds have been merged into 1 division.

looking at other games i noticed most of RPB's lineup has changed. some of the central 2's premiership players have gone up to their 1's, but i was also surprised to see elleray has changed clubs and now plays for keilor. couple of changes at CY's and YC

fooey5for10;370185 said:
gday all & welcome to season 2009/2010!!

some interesting results from saturdays play: last seasons premiers royal park/brunswick an early wobble, old essendon grammarians & south caulfield cellar dwellers perhaps, williamstown cyms brave against airport west/st christophers but look to have improved, spotswood & yarraville club havent lost anything it seems.

we travelled to spotswood where its always a pleasure to play. we just couldnt get there in the end as spotswood batted beautifully to post 6cc/223 with bradley knocking up a chanceless 102*. we followed up with a respectable 7cc/182 with robertson contributing 73*.

it was a belter of a pitch to bat on (kudos to the curator) as i hurried to 27 in no time & was starting to enjoy myself when i faced dizzy who bowled me a "half track, piece of rubbish" ball that shouldve been another boundary & i managed to find the tallest player on the field in molan at backward point & offered him the simplest of catches!! walking off, dizzy & i looked at each other, smiled & shook our heads in unison.

the best to all teams & players for this season...

Gday Foo,

Sorry I could not stick around after the game. Was a great track, thats for sure. Robertson did bat well, did not look in trouble at all. Higher duties this week perhaps?? Craig Bradley's knock was very good. Another who did not look in any trouble at all. And Molo is our tallest so you picked out the wrong bloke there. I have seen many, many wickets fall to sh_t half track or full tosses over the years. Never ceases to amaze me how blokes can play and miss time and again and then get out to crapola????? Anyhow thats cricket.

Mozza, care to tell us anything about your game?

Too Old Body Broke;370514 said:
Gday Foo,

Sorry I could not stick around after the game. Was a great track, thats for sure. Robertson did bat well, did not look in trouble at all. Higher duties this week perhaps?? Craig Bradley's knock was very good. Another who did not look in any trouble at all. And Molo is our tallest so you picked out the wrong bloke there. I have seen many, many wickets fall to sh_t half track or full tosses over the years. Never ceases to amaze me how blokes can play and miss time and again and then get out to crapola????? Anyhow thats cricket.

Mozza, care to tell us anything about your game?

Mozza will still be sooking after coping some tap, so Ill give u an update. CY's batted and Ringo and Millar put on 115 in 18 overs for opening stand. Lost some quick wickets (including our own umpire giving a lbw when well forward and hitting it) and ended with 186 which was ok but not enough after the start. APWSC never looked in to much danger of not getting the target, with 1 bloke in particular getting about 90 batting very well, every ball on his pads went for 4 or 6. They got past 4 down and ended 5/207. Our blokes didn't bowl all that well under pressure, but like most sides we had 4 or 5 from the 1's and 2's unavailable so both should improve round 3. Jacko is back, straight in the 2's this week, as long as he has no more tripping accidents.

Is Craig Bradley, the ex Melbourne CC Craig Bradley

jika jika;370611 said:
Mozza will still be sooking after coping some tap, so Ill give u an update. CY's batted and Ringo and Millar put on 115 in 18 overs for opening stand. Lost some quick wickets (including our own umpire giving a lbw when well forward and hitting it) and ended with 186 which was ok but not enough after the start. APWSC never looked in to much danger of not getting the target, with 1 bloke in particular getting about 90 batting very well, every ball on his pads went for 4 or 6. They got past 4 down and ended 5/207. Our blokes didn't bowl all that well under pressure, but like most sides we had 4 or 5 from the 1's and 2's unavailable so both should improve round 3. Jacko is back, straight in the 2's this week, as long as he has no more tripping accidents.

Is Craig Bradley, the ex Melbourne CC Craig Bradley

115 in 18 overs and end up with 186 after 20? Pressure is the making or breaking of some blokes, thats for sure...

No, Craig has been around our club for many years. I bet he wishes he could be an ex district cricketer.

Where did you play last weekend? And this game??

Too Old Body Broke;370698 said:
115 in 18 overs and end up with 186 after 20? Pressure is the making or breaking of some blokes, thats for sure...

No, Craig has been around our club for many years. I bet he wishes he could be an ex district cricketer.

Where did you play last weekend? And this game??

Im a Sunday one day player this year , in the 3rds. Coaching my young fella's basketball which is 1.15 every Saturday, so options are limited. Gives me a chance to go watch the daughter play Sat arvo as well. But I keep telling the coach I'm available in March "if required" as 3rds finals are over by then. (7 team comp, 6 make finals, sorta like the old NBL)

Good to see Foo active on the forum and also to see Freddy rolling his arm over for another year. Some of us old blokes need a bit of company.

Spotty, CY's and YP are now well represented, how about some of you guys from other clubs getting involved?

I could only manage a game in the 3's this week, so can not offer too much comment about our boys going down to McKinnon. With our young offie taking 5, and Mozza bowling what might as well be spin, I may struggle to get back.

A few other interesting results and, on paper, some odd happenings. Freddy not bowling at YP, Rossy bowling 3rd change at Spotty (has he finally taken up spin?) and plenty of runs at Crofts. Any inside news?

jacko66;372188 said:
I could only manage a game in the 3's this week, so can not offer too much comment about our boys going down to McKinnon. With our young offie taking 5, and Mozza bowling what might as well be spin, I may struggle to get back.

A few other interesting results and, on paper, some odd happenings. Freddy not bowling at YP, Rossy bowling 3rd change at Spotty (has he finally taken up spin?) and plenty of runs at Crofts. Any inside news?

Jacko, sledging me is not going to help you play on a Saturday, can i suggest mowing my lawns and washing my car! And when you do get a game i will need you to clean and press my whites as well as make my arvo tea!

jacko66;372188 said:

3's Jacko??? How did you go? Aand dont tell me mozza has gone to the dark side?? Spin??? Surely not...

We didnt make enough, without sounding obvious:eek: Airport West bowled very well. Only used 4 bowlers and they all did the job. Track wasnt too bad... No umpire:mad: They look a pretty good side. Time will tell. They had a bloke bowling on Sat giving lip to our younger bats. Nothing said that doesnt normally come out but was interesting to see how the lads handled it. 16 year old opener batted for 23 overs for 18. Solid job, will be better for it and is more suited in 2 dayers... I hope. We have had 5 U17's in rd1 and 4 Sat which is great for the club. They will take some time to find their feet. A few not quite ready for 2's as most of them had only played a few games in the 4's last year. Anyhow, no excuses from me, just good to give them a taste. And some would say I have been bowling spin for years now.... Let me tell you 9 overs Sat feels like 89 today.. Wwhere is that ice bath??

Mozz, care to let us in on your game??

jacko66;372188 said:

Yeah lots of runs at Crofts. Pitch was flat as always, apart from the slope with the pitch being on the side of the square. Outfield was lightning. We batted first and made 189, we thought that was a pretty good total. Keilor started slowly but managed to get back in the game with some clever hitting ie. paddle sweeping. They needed 10 off the last over but only managed 5 off so we hanged on for another close win.

Back