Sheffield Shield 2010

I'm questioning the same things as you. The end of last season was very promising, got to the final and put up a very good effort against the Vics with a few first season players and an overall inexperienced team. Now all of a sudden they fail to reach 100 in not one, but both innings. The bowling looked OK, kept NSW to a respectable score, but still. There was even an hat trick in the middle of it all.

I still don't think they'll be wooden spooners, but from here they have only up to go. Looks like the batting line up haven't trained at all for the entire off season.

Just had a look at stats/records of current team and cannot believe the inexperience and ordinary figures. I must be honest and say I did not see much in the Futures League team also. I am not out to put down QLD cricket as I like the fact that they try and breed their own talent rather than buy players(SA TAS) but it appears that there is a serious lack of player talent/potential in the state. If this is true I ask why?

I would provide the comment that IMO the Sydney Grade Cricket is at its weakest for a long time with 5-6 teams that just shouldnt be in the competition and yet the state continues to pump out these class players with plenty on the way- Maddinson,Henriques,Okeefe,Copeland,Cameron etc. At the top it remains extremely competitive and of a high quality.

I would like someone to give me an unbiased comment on the standard of Brisbane grade cricket and whether there is an underlying problem here?

Interesting first day to the NSW-VIC match, plenty of Test players on show. Good to see Michael Hill make a decent score, should keep him in the First XI for a little while - I'm glad to see him finally getting a decent run this season.

Interesting first day to the NSW-VIC match, plenty of Test players on show. Good to see Michael Hill make a decent score, should keep him in the First XI for a little while - I'm glad to see him finally getting a decent run this season.

I hope there are more decent scores to come, as I am still a little worried about our top order. (What's going on with Chris Rogers?) His 2nd innings failure had disastrous consequences. Still, a good performance from the Vics against a near-full strength NSW (Aust XI) side. Disappointing that it seemed only one team out there was trying to win!!!

Hopes and Hartley hold up the Queensland line up. They are the only two that score and they are both doing it consistently. For Queensland's sake I hope Hopes doesn't get picked for the ODI squad, otherwise their scores are going to fall by about 70 runs every innings.

Hope and Hartley hold up the Queensland line up. They are the only two that score and they are both doing it consistently. For Queensland's sake I hope Hopes doesn't get picked for the ODI squad, otherwise their scores are going to fall by about 70 runs every innings.

Agree Boris but must say that since my last post I have been very impressed by Chris Lynne. He actually looked good against NSW, without a score(best of bad Bulls days by far) and has gone on from there. I really like the look of him.

Interested on your thoughts on Harris?

Agree Boris but must say that since my last post I have been very impressed by Chris Lynne. He actually looked good against NSW, without a score(best of bad Bulls days by far) and has gone on from there. I really like the look of him.

Interested on your thoughts on Harris?
Haven't been able to follow the SS lately, too much going on, so I can't really judge him.

Considering he's playing Tests now obviously not too bad :D. He's been outstanding the past couple of years (when he's been playing, anyway), a very economical bowler that just ties a batsman down till he makes a mistake. And if he doesn't, then at least very few runs are scored. I'm interested to know where the all rounder in him has gone. When he started out Harris was considered a bit more of a batsman than bowler, then a bowling all rounder and now just a bowler. I'm sure he can still do some decent things with the bat so I'm wondering why the Channel 9 commentators are calling him terrible, perhaps they should do some research?

And yes Lynne has been one of the best of a bad bunch. Going to need some more from him to keep the wooden spoon away. They've been scratching up some points from nowhere though, so that's good from their point of view.

And Tasmania take the Shield, second ever in their history. Katich's declaration I think was a touch early, it was a sporting and decisive declaration (gave the match a certain result), but I would have though to get the big hitters out there and really try and pack on the runs as fast as possible within the end of the day (there were two guys on 90 at the time, perfect chance) and some fast scorers down the order. Needed above 250 to be able to hold it on a pitch that brought about 5 centurions and/or 90 scores.

And just to prove a point I've been pushing for a while, how about James Hopes? Player of the season and for a very good reason. Why the hell isn't he on the subcontinent right now?

If the fielders had held their catches, Katich might have looked like a genius. Nice to see someone take a real risk as a skipper.

If the fielders had held their catches, Katich might have looked like a genius. Nice to see someone take a real risk as a skipper.
Yes, very true that. What was it, four catches going down? Probably more... didn't see much of the last day's play.

Good to see a very good game, though. Usually those finals are just one side attacking constantly and the other holding out for the draw, as that's all they need to take the title. Also good to see two of the bottom sides from last year now at the top.

I find it unfortunate that Clark is pushed out of the side whenever Katich is playing. Clark is a good captain and a spectacularly brilliant bowler, and has been very good all season in all three forms of the game. The only reason he plays, though, is because he's the eldest (if you call 33 old) and most experienced and hence in a mentoring type role as captain. Otherwise the young players are ahead of him, which is fair enough on a developmental point of view, but it is said to see such a talent thrown away so readily.

Yes, very true that. What was it, four catches going down? Probably more... didn't see much of the last day's play.

Good to see a very good game, though. Usually those finals are just one side attacking constantly and the other holding out for the draw, as that's all they need to take the title. Also good to see two of the bottom sides from last year now at the top.

I find it unfortunate that Clark is pushed out of the side whenever Katich is playing. Clark is a good captain and a spectacularly brilliant bowler, and has been very good all season in all three forms of the game. The only reason he plays, though, is because he's the eldest (if you call 33 old) and most experienced and hence in a mentoring type role as captain. Otherwise the young players are ahead of him, which is fair enough on a developmental point of view, but it is said to see such a talent thrown away so readily.
He wasn't kicked out of the side, they wouldn't have done that in a final for Coyte for god's sake, he's injured.

He wasn't kicked out of the side, they wouldn't have done that in a final for Coyte for god's sake, he's injured.
Was he? I swear I read an article about Katich taking the captaincy over instead. My mistake.

Either way it's good to see the big fella performing again. It's just Gillespie all over again, play for a few years after being dropped and just keep doing what he's doing.

Well done to Tasmania, they came home with a charge and were worthy winners of the shield for only the second time in their history.

Katich was always captain of NSW I thought, played the tests and would then come back for the last part of the season. I think the reason why Clark was captain was because Katich got injured and didn't return until their were a handful of games left.

Well done to Tasmania, they came home with a charge and were worthy winners of the shield for only the second time in their history.

Katich was always captain of NSW I thought, played the tests and would then come back for the last part of the season. I think the reason why Clark was captain was because Katich got injured and didn't return until their were a handful of games left.
Clark's been captain the whole season, and always would have been considering Katich would have played most of the season for Australia had he not been injured, in which case he wasn't at all. I've seen him play a couple of games this season without being captain.

That's pretty much the only reason he's in the side. They'd much prefer a younger bowler to come through but they recognise they can't drop Clark down to grade level so they made him captain. He does alright at it but they're are better choices. He's just a mentor these days, much like what they've done with Hopes.

Clark's been captain the whole season, and always would have been considering Katich would have played most of the season for Australia had he not been injured, in which case he wasn't at all. I've seen him play a couple of games this season without being captain.

That's pretty much the only reason he's in the side. They'd much prefer a younger bowler to come through but they recognise they can't drop Clark down to grade level so they made him captain. He does alright at it but they're are better choices. He's just a mentor these days, much like what they've done with Hopes.

Katich is listed as captain on wikipedia which has got its info from the NSW Cricket site. However, none of the players have been named as captain on that site's squad list.

Katich is listed as captain on wikipedia which has got its info from the NSW Cricket site. However, none of the players have been named as captain on that site's squad list.
Yes, Katich is the captain, just that Clark isn't just a "stand in captain", they are more equal in hierachy I would say after seeing what they've done this season. I know that when Clark and Katich were in the same team often they would have their little meetings with the other vice captain as well, it's not really a traditional set up they have going.

Back