Should Ricky Ponting be Sacked

Timed Out

Should Ricky Ponting be Sacked

Somebody, probably a preschool teacher, needs to explain simply to Ricky Ponting about the damage that has been caused by his team during the Sydney Test. While India burns and fumes over issues ranging from race to umpiring and sportsmanship, Ponting continues to believe his team has done nothing wrong.

It is extraordinary that he doesn't understand the significance of India's threat to boycott the tour or Australia's direct and indirect roles in the lead-up to it. He is as temporarily blind as some of the officials were at the SCG.

On a day when there was a call for Ponting, Australia's most successful captain, to be sacked, his only concession was that he would sit down with Anil Kumble and talk about the situation "if Anil thinks that is necessary". "But I'd be really surprised if he thought it was."

If it's necessary? At the time Ponting was speaking to the Australian the entire tour was in doubt. A day earlier Kumble had accused Australia of not playing in the spirit of the game, an insult that should be even more damaging than "monkey" or "**************" to any self-respecting cricketer. Obviously it's not to Ponting, who remains convinced the match was played hard, fairly and properly.

READ THE REST Here http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/329708.html

A very good article that highlights alot of ways ponting seems to work. Its a good read and well worth the time. It brings me to the point, Should Ricky Ponting be sacked? If so who should take over?

Re: Should Ricky Ponting be Sacked

Whoever wrote that article is an idiot, sorry. Ricky Ponting is our most successful captain, a great cricketer and, until this incident, was a great ambassador for the game. Sure he handled this issue badly, but how many other countless issues with what richie would call the X-Factor?

Maybe not sacked but he should certainly stand up and be counted.

Maybe time for a no sledging pact with the other test captains?

the only problem with the no sledging policy is that different countries have different opinions of what sledging truely is. but if the ICC can actualy do something good for the game of cricket and make a universal law about what sledging encompasses, and all the captains agree to it, then it will be a step in the right direction, and one step closer to removing racism from the game of cricket

no he shouldnt be sacked
u indians are just sore losers
why sack him??
what a stupid idea bloody numbnuts!

To lose one elite umpire could be considered unfortunate, but two in the space of sixteen months smacks of extreme carelessness. First there was Darrell Hair, banished from the top table following his bust-up with Pakistan at The Oval in 2006. Now it's the turn of the most experienced man of the lot, Steve Bucknor, who's paid the price for an error-strewn showing at Sydney.

Rest of the article is here.

Suppose it makes the fair point that if these kind of situations continue it will be harder to find good umpires willing to stand at the top level.

jimmy33 said:
the only problem with the no sledging policy is that different countries have different opinions of what sledging truely is. but if the ICC can actualy do something good for the game of cricket and make a universal law about what sledging encompasses, and all the captains agree to it, then it will be a step in the right direction, and one step closer to removing racism from the game of cricket

The main problem with a no sledging pact would be cultural. As we've seen over the past week, what can be inflammatory in one country is seen as a term of endearment in others.

I would also hate to lose the 'mental' aspect of the game but there is a need to reign in the mindless banter.

The talk to sack Ricky Ponting was originated from the Australian Media.Couple of newspaper's articles have been harsh on him and called for his sacking.
In India;the outcry is more on the Umpires for their poor decisions;We have read and seen in our news channels as well.
Last night on CNN;I saw even the news reporter's discussing the same and had shown the poll results supporting India and the Sports Minister,Foreign Minster and Prime Minister of Australia have also issued statement's to reslove the issue asap.
Sacking Ponting would not be good for him and for the team.But the board officials will definitely have strong briefing with him.As the image of Australian Cricket Team and country is at risk.

kizza said:
no he shouldnt be sacked
u indians are just sore losers
why sack him??
what a stupid idea bloody numbnuts!
why are indians sore losers??? we are not calling for ponting to be sacked. we could hardly care who captains your international team. the article is written by peter english who i can gurantee is not an indian. get your facts straight.
i dont care whether he is the captain or not but i am not happy with his attitude. for eg when he took the catch of dhoni he grassed the ball but he threatened a journalist when he was asked about it. i know he might have thought that he didnt grass it but he should have a look at the replay where the ball is clearly touching the ground. though im not sure if the australian channels will show that replay. it was stated on cricinfo's commentary as well.

deer said:
the article is written by peter english who i can gurantee is not an indian.
The surname kind of gives it away doesnt it :laugh:

But seriously the Australian media doesnt know what they are talking about. Sacking the captain after he won a test, ableit in controversial circumstances, is just ludacris, completely ludarcis

Back