South Africa's best XI and Neil Mckenzie.

breeno

South Africa's best XI and Neil Mckenzie.

Personally, this guy doesn't look up to standard. Maybe give him the Boxing day test but if he doesn't perform then, I think South Africa should look at dropping him, If Prince is fit.

I don't know how Mckenzie has gone this year, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but an average of 38 just isn't good enough for an opener at this level.

Does anyone know if Duminy would be any good as an opener? Even De Villiers?

I think South Africa's best XI would look like this.

1. G.Smith
2. De Villiers (Although he looks solid at 5)/Duminy
3. H.Amla
4. J.Kallis
5. A.Prince/De Villiers
6. JP Duminy/Prince
7. M.Boucher
8. M.Morkel
9. P.Harris
10. D.Steyn
11. M. Ntini

Thoughts on this lineup, I think maybe having De Villiers or Prince open would allow Duminy to come into the squad at 6.

Re: South Africa's best XI and Neil Mckenzie.

Completely agree mate.
If Prince is fit then i think Duminy should open up with Graeme Smith, with Prince at 5 n De Villiers at 6.

I like De Villiers at 5 or open (He used to open up).

This leaves Duminy at 6 and Prince at 5.

Although Duminy looks like he may be a good opener.

I like De Villiers in early as it gives him a chance to build a big innings like vs Australia.

True but,i think De Villiers is a guy that can work with the tail, he gets alot of singles and is very good working the ball around.

Also agree with you,Duminy i think would make a fine opener.give him the chance nd i think he wud make the most of it,althought he does have trouble with the short ball early in his innings.

Prince is the rock of South Africa,he stays in whiile (if) the rest crumble around him.

anwayz i'm off mate.gud chattin 2 ya.

Catch mate.

I think they have experimented with Prince opening aswell.

Might be worth giving Herschelle Gibbs another crack. He's coming over the one-dayers and if he can get into some form he might be a chance to break back into the test side.

Yes Gibbs is a great player, magnificent to watch when he's on song.

I would just like to see them play Duminy in the same side as Ashwell Prince as I believe this kid has immense talent and has the edge as he's only 24, 10 years younger than Gibbs.

yep.agree.
Duminy is a class act.
Gibbs is more suited to the One-Day format.don't think he'd do too well in the test arena.

MY RSA 1st XI
1.Graeme Smith
2.JP Duminy
3.Hashim Amla
4.Jacques Kallis
5.Ashwell Prince(if fit)
6.AB De Villiers
7.Mark Boucher
8.Morne Morkel
9.Paul Harris
10.Dale Steyn
11.Makhaya Ntini

I also want to see that Zondeki guy ball...apparently he can reach speeds of up to 153/154 km/h.

Yepp I've decided on my RSA XI.

Graeme Smith*
AB De Villiers
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
Ashwell Prince
Jean-Paul Duminy
Mark Boucher+
Morne Morkel
Paul Harris
Dale Steyn
Makhaya Ntini

If De Villiers doesn't want to open he can be swapped with Duminy.

breeno;298077 said:
Yepp I've decided on my RSA XI.

Graeme Smith*
AB De Villiers
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
Ashwell Prince
Jean-Paul Duminy
Mark Boucher+
Morne Morkel
Paul Harris
Dale Steyn
Makhaya Ntini

If De Villiers doesn't want to open he can be swapped with Duminy.

1. G.Smith
2. H.Gibbs
3. H.Amla
4. J.Kallis
5. A.Prince
6. AB De Villiers
7. M.Boucher
8. M.Morkel
9. P.Harris
10. D.Steyn
11. M.Ntini

Gibbs is a much better player that McKenzie. To answer your question from before McKenzie has had a good year but he must have cashed in against Bangladesh. He isn't up to stratch against the good sides. The rest of the line up should stay unchanged with Prince back in for the unlucky Duminy after his injury.

Mckenzie hasn't had a bad year with the bat. He has 1014 runs @ 53.36 which is pretty decent 4th best in the team statiscally. However I do think he is in a form slump which needs to be rectified so he can get back to playing some good cricket.

I don't think De Villiers should replace him because he has been tried and just dosen't look comfortable facing a new ball. I also like him at nuber six where he has hit 1054 runs @ 66.00 this year.

I think If Mckenzie dosen't improve at the MCG he should be temporarily replaced by Duminy who has opening experience. But I would give Duminy 3 or 4 matches in the position and if he does well keep him if he dosen't, then bring Mckenzie back in.

Herschelle Gibbs I like better as a one day opener because his agressive technique and stroke play is better suited there also becuase he is the man Mckenzie replaced to start with.

Young Willi Lad;298081 said:
Gibbs is a much better player that McKenzie. To answer your question from before McKenzie has had a good year but he must have cashed in against Bangladesh. He isn't up to stratch against the good sides. The rest of the line up should stay unchanged with Prince back in for the unlucky Duminy after his injury.

Mckenzie V The World 2008
V Bangladesh 4 matches 299 runs @ 59.80 (226 of these came in 1 innings)
V India 3 matches 341 runs @ 85.25 ( this included 1 100 and 1 50).
V England 4 matches 339 runs @ 48.42.

So most of his runs this year were brought up against India and England and played only one big innings against Bangladesh and nothing else. So he has proved himself against world class teams he just needs to hit some runs against australia.

breeno;298103 said:
Looks like a good lineup, is Gibbs really up to it though?

No I don't think so.

Statiscally Mckenzie has almost accomplished more in a season for RSA than Gibbs did in three years.

From 2005 - 2008 Gibbs:

29 matches - 51 innings - 1419 runs @ 29.56.

From 2008 - 2008 (start to end) Mckenzie:

14 matches - 21 innings - 1014 runs @ 53.36.
So no If Mckenzie dosen't lift his game and is dropped Gibbs should still remain in the odi team only. As he had 3 years and failed.

Yeah I knew Mckenzie had had a very good year, but he just looks very scratchy when opening.

breeno;299893 said:
Yeah I knew Mckenzie had had a very good year, but he just looks very scratchy when opening.

Yeah he is definitley in a form slump I never said He wasn't just poinitng out that he does have potential. Like I said If he dosen't perform in this match and Prince is fit Duminy should replace Mckenzie. This would be my 11:
1. G. Smith
2. J.P. Duminy
3. H. Amla
4. J. Kallis
5. A.Prince
6. A.B. De Villiers
7. M.Boucher
8. M.Morkel
9. P. Harris
10. D. Steyn
11. M. Ntini

Yeah, Duminy has good footwork, I like the way he plays, very Slater-like IIRC.

Back