South Division 2012/13

Funny how you don't get the feel of a team from looking at the ladder 6 months after the season. I stand by what I said, think they had a season that could have gone the other way, lost to Parkdale by a wicket in the second round, and just didn't get going, I felt if they had of sneaked that one they were away. I played in a Mordi team in Senior A as it was where we lost 4-5 matches by under 20 runs or 2 wickets and didn't get a win after winning the SouthA flag undefeated the season before. That's cricket I guess.

Funny how you don't get the feel of a team from looking at the ladder 6 months after the season. I stand by what I said, think they had a season that could have gone the other way, lost to Parkdale by a wicket in the second round, and just didn't get going, I felt if they had of sneaked that one they were away. I played in a Mordi team in Senior A as it was where we lost 4-5 matches by under 20 runs or 2 wickets and didn't get a win after winning the SouthA flag undefeated the season before. That's cricket I guess.
We finished last so probably deserved to go down I suppose. But as DalesHack said we were close a few times (inclduing a 10 run loss to the premiers, and a one wicket loss to Parkdale). But near enoguh isnt good enough unless you are throwing hand grenades or horseshoes. Our request was primarily based on other factors - we were without proper training facilties for most of the season amongst them - so we thought we would see how we could go. But no good - South A it will be
As for our 2nd ground being not up to standard for 1s and 2s. Well given it is a second ground were you expecting Lord's? But having said that, i reckon it has more than a few first grounds covered for quality of pitch, ground and facilties. But we are looking forward to Boss James this season - should be a cracker!!

Obviously wasnt expecting Lords but if a whole season of 1s & 2s Cricket only produces 3 innings that go past 200 runs I'd suggest the proof is in the pudding. Slow wicket that crumbles and a rough slow outfield is not my idea of attractive cricket. Ive been past the main oval recently which looks fantastic and should be condusive to some quality cricket.
Does anyone know of other recruits that havnt been posted? Port look good again, brought in a few and kept there list together.

'Slow wicket that crumbles" that probably describes 75% of wickets in Sth div. the lack of runs was probably due to lack of talent rather than the pitch & ground. Talking of crumbling decks, Parkdale, dendy park and Mentone were shockers, need to head into glen eira council to find decent decks and grounds these days.

Daleshack, anyones whos played a decent grade of Cricket would agree Parkdale is very average. Not sure what part of my comment you think is silly?

Daleshack, anyones whos played a decent grade of Cricket would agree Parkdale is very average. Not sure what part of my comment you think is silly?

On one aspect, having seen some very good batsmen play some good knocks at Gerry Green:
Daykin 200+ innings for Port, last season Stewart a great knock of 70 odd chasing down an outright, for Parkdale Bott making a 100 not out I think and other good knocks in there as well.
On the aspect of recruitment a few decent bats have chosen to play for Parkdale in recent seasons being Bott, Galloway and Ferguson as recruits with overseas players Morton and last season Walling having moderately successful seasons .
I think at least 4, possibly 5, Parkdale players had averages over 25 for the season.
The run tallies for and against at seasons end aren't out of whack with other teams in the top 6 in VTCA South last season, (other than Port Melbourne who have one player outstripping all other batsman by 300 runs for the season). The hardest job at Parkdale is dealing with a lush outfield, and having the ability to bat time for runs.
In addition, Parkdale have a young curator who is nearly finished his trade at a metropolitan course, and is learning to transfer those skills in his first season as a cricket pitch curator, and will be better for the experience this season.
Now I apologise if you found yourself challenged on a sub-par wicket, and I hope you get an opportunity to put a decent knock together next opportunity at Gerry Green, but if good players (who have played a relatively decent standard of cricket) can find a way to make runs I'm sure your experience at Premier/Subbies will hold you in equally good stead.
Ergo, silly comment.

Ondrive i'm not sure which club you are involved with but i presume as you are very active in the conversation of the grounds that it is a current or at least was last year South Division club. I managed to see or have seen most of the grounds in the division and bar probably Murrenbena all have obvious down sides to them, be it wickets, outfields, bar/change facilities. Most do what they can on the short resources of helpers and financial offerings going about so i think its a bit rich having a go at some of the clubs. If you want great cricketers, top facilities and the like then i hear Junction Oval is pretty good. As for parkcricket i get the impression that he gets excited at the very thought of ground preperation and marking white lines....grass nerd.

Sorry us Kingston rate payers have to spend our parks money on the beaches you all use...at least I can walk to my beach!
I too wish Kingston council would help more with the wickets and grounds down here...super poorly managed by outside contractors...but we're always hopeful that it will get better. Bagging personal club curators is a bit like bagging umpires...if you don't shut up you'll be the one doing it!!! Can we move on and talk cricket please!?

Given Chelsea can't field a 2nd XI, should they be relegated to South A?
Given the team that wins the flag is automatically promoted, were they to win the flag in South, how would senior division clubs feel about their 2nds having a bye during the season?

There 2s will probably be playing on the Matts. I'm sure Yarraville Club and Hoppers wont mind making the trip over the Westgate to play on the carpet down at Bonbeach Tafe.

What the hell is happening down there?

There 2s will probably be playing on the Matts. I'm sure Yarraville Club and Hoppers wont mind making the trip over the Westgate to play on the carpet down at Bonbeach Tafe.

What the hell is happening down there?

I know last year they had 3rds as well which apparently were a lot better than there seconds but there all mates and don't want to play in the higher grade and I think from talking to a few of the boys after our game last year a lot of them don't like playing with the 2 brothers who pretty much ran that side last year

Interested to know how other "Kingston" clubs are faring regarding turf square renovations and timelines. Came across an interesting piece on cricket victoria's website thanks to the brains trust at the VTCA. Perhaps it should be put forward to local councils and joint tenant footy clubs before the transition period so everyone knows where they stand? Is this happening in other councils? I ask coz Parkdale have been told 13 Sep the earliest Council will be able to start turf renovation.
http://www.cricketvictoria.com.au/f...mination_re_division_of_seasons_2010-2013.pdf
Gives a pretty clear direction as to the changeover and preparation of the sqaure prior to the 01 October Changeover, and also the 01 April Changeover.

Back