Spotlight On: Great Rotw Players

Caesar

In continuing my series on my favourite players from around the world, I thought I'd make a thread in this forum for players from a range of countries.

In some ways, for me personally I think this will be the most interesting and educational thread as my knowledge of countries outside of England, Australia and India is far more limited.

I would therefore like to start with one of my favourite players from a country that is perhaps a little left-field - Namibia:

Rudolph van Vuuren

_38846351_vuurenbod203.jpg

Whilst perhaps not strictly one of the great cricketers of the world, Rudie van Vuuren will always be remembered by his countrymen as one of the greats of the domestic game. But the thing that makes him most remarkable is that this is not by any stretch all that he will be remembered for.

An Afrikaaner by descent and native of Windhoek, where he has lived virtually all his life, van Vuuren grew up and trained as a medical doctor whilst also developing into a formidable allrounder and rugby flyhalf. The peak of his sporting achievements came in 2003 when he became the first person ever to represent his country at both Rugby and Cricket World Cups in the same year.

His cricketing career was brief but not without achievements, modest though they may appear to outsiders. Along with his Windhoek Wanderers teammate (and Namibia captain) Corne Powell, he formed the core of the national side at the 2003 WC. Despite conceding 28 runs off a single over to Darren Lehmann, he remains the only Namibian player ever to take a bag in an ODI - 5/43 against England in the same tournament.

In his life after sport, Rudie founded the Naankuse Wildlife Sanctuary with his wife Marlice (a noted conservationist). The sanctuary is a charity based in his native Windhoek dedicated to the care of endangered local wildlife, and incorporates a medical clinic and other outreach programs for the region's San Bushmen.

Whilst van Vuuren is perhaps not remarkable on the world stage as a player, he is remarkable as an example and reminder of enduring amateurism at the top level of our sport - long gone amongst Test nations, but still the lifeblood of cricket in Associate countries. Those who play for little more than the love of the game - and carry that love into other aspects of their endlessly-varied lives outside cricket - will always be the best ambassadors for the sport.

HTML:
Mat     Inns     NO     Runs     HS     Ave     BF     SR     100     50     4s     6s     Ct     St
ODIs     5     5     2     26     14     8.66     38     68.42     0     0     2     1     0     0
List A     21     16     9     60     14*     8.57     94     63.82     0     0             4     0

Back