Sri Lanka vs Australia - June/July 2022

The Lankan batsmen took advantage of a far more docile pitch than the last one.. to bat themselves back into the Second Test after a Steve Smith led 145* took Australian to 364 all out yesterday morning local time.

Well we've made some inroads at 4 for 293 but they should end up with a pretty handy lead now only 70 down.

Lyon has one solitary wicket from his 38 overs.. a poor strike rate.. and one he has shown more than occasionally over his long career. He seems to go missing in action, specially in first innings constantly. His Lankan counterpart Jayasuriya took regular wickets when he had the ball in his hand to keep our score under 450.

Third Day:
Too few wickets, missed chances and untidy fielding on day three now has the opposition driving this game.. even tho it is shaping as a draw which is all the BGs need to take the series. Lyon toiled manfully for 56 overs but he often fails to take a game by the throat like other top spinners do in the sub continent. 2-160 is testament to this. Swepson also made little impression in curbing a strong combined display by the Lankan batsmen. Led by the under rated Chandimal. Tho the hard working QLD leggie hurt his figures and his reputation when he spilled a return catch at a crucial time. Our quicks also lacked penetration.. with the skipper unrewarded for his 24 overs leaving the Jekyll and Hyde Mitchell Starc to be the pick with his two scalps over two days and the best economy of our attack. Cameron Green is still being under bowled.

Last edited:
Haven't watched much so far, missed the Aussie innings and its been a bit boring when I've switched on with a pretty tame bowling effort.

6 down with a lead of 46, gotta somehow keep it below triple figures or game over.
Not as pessimistic as you. This deck is less dangerous than the last one. Both teams have already shown if you get in you can make big runs. While chasing down a deficit before we start on setting the Lankans a target will hold us up.. it is far from impossible to win from here. Remember they have to bat last on what should be far trickier batting conditions than at present, plus we only need to draw the game. What is a must from here is to curb those risky sweep shots that we mostly got away with in first innings. Too much sweeping in front of our stumps is asking for trouble on a turning track.

Last edited:
Fourth Day:
Deficit is now looking around 150. Change in events in Galle as the quicks have taken all wickets to fall today. That is telling me that the surface is not breaking up to assist spin.

Wrong as Chandimal is dining out on some Starc and Cummins pies and has now taken the lead to 190 before Swepson finishes proceedings.. finally.
Australia is now facing serious scoreboard pressure for first time in the series.

Last edited:
The first test saw a very good win. The second test was going fine until we finished batting and even then we probably didn't score anywhere near as much as what we should have done.

Today was a total capitulation with the bat though, a very disappointing effort. Our bowling wasn't great either, the spinners were ineffective and Green was under bowled, not really sure why he only bowled six overs for the match.

The beginning of the end of this match for Australia was on day two when our late order bats and the bowlers failed to stay with Smudge who was left stranded on a chanceless 145*. At least 100 runs were left in the sheds which would have set up the game for us. We failed but Sri Lanka did not and the value of having some tail end staying power was emphasised when the under rated Dinesh Chandimal added 145 vital runs with only his bowlers for company.

Today was a total capitulation with the bat though, a very disappointing effort. Our bowling wasn't great either, the spinners were ineffective and Green was under bowled, not really sure why he only bowled six overs for the match.
That it was. Pathetic effort on a deck that the local bowlers managed to score on quite easily to help Chandimal to his massive double century and the nail in our coffin. Travis Head and Dave Warner have their necks on the chopping block for the upcoming India tour.. with a paltry 86 series runs between them. If sacked it opens the door for Peter Handscomb, Matt Renshaw, Henry Hunt and perhaps even Glenn Maxwell to replace them.

Why was this only 2 tests, lame.
Was wondering the same when it was first announced. Last tour they played three.
We have the Baggy Greens discussion thread if you wanna talk Aussie cricket between series. I think this thread should be closed now.

Was wondering the same when it was first announced. Last tour they played three.
We have the Baggy Greens discussion thread if you wanna talk Aussie cricket between series. I think this thread should be closed now.
Yep infuriating was all set up beautifully for a final decider.

Just a request not an order fellars. This discussion may be better in the 99.94 Club as it may well be lost to other members here on an obsolete thread. I too am considering Kayo as I dont watch anywhere near as much of the general Foxtel product as I used to.

Last edited:
Back