Struggling early on

ZacDuggan

Struggling early on

I seem to be susceptable early on to pace bowling, and to a minor extent, spinners(if they are good). This often gets me low scores and demotion down the order below people who can barely hold the bat the right way. What can I do to solve this??

Re: Struggling early on

I cant pick up the pitch of the ball as well, and i have to put in a real effort to move my feet, once i've faced 20 odd balls i fell fine, its just getting there thats the problem. Ive talked to a couple of people and they just say play defensive and straight until you feel comfortable, but then i feel pressure to score.

Re: Struggling early on

The straight forward answer is to have a net/throwdowns before you go in. Try to get the feet moving and your eyes tuned into seeing the ball. This won't always be possible though, so you may have to tough it out in the middle.

Don't worry so much about smashing the ball all over the place when you first get in. Look to work the ball around, find gaps and use soft hands. Good calling and running will often find you 2/3 runs per over. By doing this you can take the pressure to score off yourself a little and get yourself in.

Remember that batting is a partnership as well as individual pursuit. Let the player already out there worry about keeping the run rate up. Concentrate on getting in and controlling the elements you can control. You're no good back in the shed after all.

Back