Stutter in Run-up

phil2oo8

Stutter in Run-up

Hi, as the title suggests i stutter in my run-up quite alot. I don't know why i do it but its infuriating as i beleive it's why i put so much effort in my bowling action release but is only med-fast (60ish mph at 15). Does anyone know any drills that can stop this?

Also i believe i lack pack as i skip into the crease instead of jump, Doe's anyone think this is related to stuttering?

thanks phil

Re: Stutter in Run-up

Stuttering is normally caused by your run up being wrong. You're trying to adjust your stride pattern before moving into your delivery action, so that hit the right spot.

Try increasing your run up by a little bit (I use paces, so would say increase it by a pace at a time) and that should sort it.

If you can try it in practice. I've used the same run up for ever, but if I don't mark it out correctly then I'll stutter every so often, as I'm striving to hit the right point on the crease.

It'll take a bit of fine tuning but you should be able to stop it happening.

i dont have this problem of 5 paces!

one of our guys has a stutter ! but having said that if he doesnt stutter he wont bowl properly.

Definitely sounds like your run up isn't correct. A good exercise to determine your natural run up is as follows.

1. Find some clear open space. Mark your staring point. Have someone stand about 10 metres away from you.

2. Close your eyes and start your run up. Keep building pace and finally release the ball. Get the other person to mark the spot where your front foot landed.

3. Repeat 3 times to get a consistent result.

4. Now measure the total run up with normal paces and voila!!

I read this in an article which i can't seem to find, it was by Dennis Lillee i think. It worked wonders for me and a few others in my team

That is a pretty decent way to get a rough idea of your run up. It'll still need to be grooved and tweaked but it's a pretty good way of getting a starting point.

Found it, explained a little better :)

The run-up is established simply by practising it. The best practise is to start on an empty field and to run in with your eyes closed until it feels right to bowl. Be sure you start with the same foot and from the same mark every time and keep doing it until it feels great. The most important thing is the feel so don’t settle for anything other than the’ feel great’ run-up. The feel of the run-up is everything as the feel is what bowlers refer to as rhythm. When a Bowler says his rhythm was good he actually means everything felt great. So practice running in until your run-up feels great. When it feels great and is consistently the same distance then measure the run-up from the exact starting point to where your front and backfoot have landed. Have someone there with you to mark ideally both your front and backfoot as this will give you the exact length of your delivery stride. The delivery stride length is very helpful information in the prevention of no balls. Some bowlers’ step out their run-up from the back foot and some from the front – really it is irrelevant as long as the distance is accurate to the starting mark.

Back