Subbies Thread

Seems to me money has a lot to do with being successful. Our middle of the road club is putting out teams on field 11, 12 or 13 points against stacked teams this year. Our council is one of the most expensive apparently and they do not recruit heavily due to it, so i have heard.

You are absolutely right, money has a lot to do with having on-field success. The introduction of the points system helps somewhat to provide a level playing field, but a major weakness in it is that there is no limit to the amount a club can outlay. This means the monied clubs can outbid the less financial in order to obtain "the best of the best".

I was told CV is keen to get subbies to expand to take another 4 clubs, on top of the 4 that are coming in....in 5 years time to take it to a total of 36. There is concern that not enough young players are being developed in other comps (due to the fight to avoid relegation). 40% of new players that go to premier cricket come from subbies, followed by country teams at 20%.

I was told CV is keen to get subbies to expand to take another 4 clubs, on top of the 4 that are coming in....in 5 years time to take it to a total of 36. There is concern that not enough young players are being developed in other comps (due to the fight to avoid relegation). 40% of new players that go to premier cricket come from subbies, followed by country teams at 20%.

It is not just due to the fight to avoid relegation. The fact is over in the West there is only one Premier club. CV shelved plans to expand in the west and it my understanding both Footscray Edgewater and Geelong strongly opposed another club being established in the large gap between them.

In what feels like a never ending season it is finally grand final week. Kew and Ormond to be too good but I would like to see Werribee beat $Kew$. Ormond is riding a wave from 5th and hope they can keep it going! Sheridan and Baxter to be best for their respective sides.

In what feels like a never ending season it is finally grand final week. Kew and Ormond to be too good but I would like to see Werribee beat $Kew$. Ormond is riding a wave from 5th and hope they can keep it going! Sheridan and Baxter to be best for their respective sides.
I see John Craig will be in Hospital for the match hopefully Ormond can win it for him as he is the club for the amount work he does for them.

Great to see Werribee do what most thought impossible,once again the battlers from the much maligned west group stick it up the millionaires,all one point locals too!!

Fantastic effort to have the season they did. Sometimes you don't win the final game but can still have an incredible season and body of work.
Amazing how often it happens, wish I could have had a few coins on Werribee at the odds.

No doubt about it--in a final get them on the board if you win the toss. Often the case the team chasing falls behind the run rate and, even though wickets may be in hand, the pressure starts to build.

Back