Substitution for getting you knee down to the ball.

breeno

Substitution for getting you knee down to the ball.

It runs in my family that when squatting quickly or cramping our knees up quickly our knees lock up, hearing a massive crunch when in pain and having to straighten it for it to unlock.

My problem is that, you know in cricket how when you are fielding you're meant to put your knee down and get behind the ball?

Well I can't do that without my knee locking up. At the moment I've just been turning my feet sideways and putting my hands in between them to stop the ball.

Has anyone got any better substitutions? (I'm looking at you, Liz,MC or MiCoach:p) Na seriously, any suggestions would help.

Re: Substitution for getting you knee down to the ball.

1 or 2 handed pick up, although that's not ideal if the ball is coming towards you at pace.

One option would be to use the other knee but I'd be more interesting in finding out what is causing your knee to lock up. As you say, it may run in the family but it's worth getting your own individual problems looked at, if only to try to find out the cause.

mas cambios;311089 said:
1 or 2 handed pick up, although that's not ideal if the ball is coming towards you at pace.

One option would be to use the other knee but I'd be more interesting in finding out what is causing your knee to lock up. As you say, it may run in the family but it's worth getting your own individual problems looked at, if only to try to find out the cause.

It's both knees that lock up, thats why I'm unable to put any knee behind it.

My dad said that his went away after he saw the doctor, and the doctor pointed out it was a lack of muscle around the area to stengthen the joint, and after my dad took up bodybuilding many years ago, with went away with muscle building around that area, but has since come back when he stopped bodybuilding.

I'm waiting for the off season to start working on it, as I don't want to cause any problems with it during the season.

I'd get it checked out by a doctor before doing any weights etc, you want to make sure that it's helping the problem not making it worse.

mas cambios;311100 said:
I'd get it checked out by a doctor before doing any weights etc, you want to make sure that it's helping the problem not making it worse.

Will do@|

As far as I know the majority of my family (Including uncles) have this problem, although my fathers and mine has been the worst.

First thing to do is improve your catching, and become a slips fielder! Prolem solved! :):)

There will undoubtedly be a few things you can do to help the situation but someone like Liz is your best bet on that one.

As for the fielding, I think you're going to have to try to get used to going down with two hands and fielding the ball that way. It's no bad thing as it'll put you in a good place to attack the ball but you will have to bend the knees somewhat to get low enough.

Failing that, consider fielding at slip or gully as you'll be less likely to field the type of ball that normally requires a long barrier.

Tongs;311107 said:
First thing to do is improve your catching, and become a slips fielder! Prolem solved! :):)

Not always a slip in place unfortunately, and I rotate, Sometimes slip, sometimes gully, sometimes square leg, sometimes cover. I'm pretty decent at everything, and it's not bad enough that I miss the ball all the time, as I have a pretty clean pick up thanks to playing footy when I was younger, I'm just worried that one day I may miss a few.

Hi breeno,

mas is right; you really do need to get to the bottom of your knee, whether you decide to go the resistance route or not. There is a clear impingement here. This kind of knee locking can be caused by many factors and it will have a negative impact on your life if you do not get it sorted.

You really should ask your doctor to refer you for an x-ray and/or scan. These should show any abnormalities such as bone spur, fragments or meniscus disorders... there could be an issue with the synovial fluid. Although many in your family suffer similar symptoms, it does not necessarily mean it is hereditary, though quite likely :)

This is a really interesting case; the options open to you are greater than those open to your father when he was younger. Do go to your doctor and let us know how you get on.

Will do Liz, I've been a bit busy as of late, but I'll try and get there soon.

I'm not too sure whether it's the bones or (Im not sure what it's called) its like a long tendon thing running along the back and outside of my knee.

Either way, it's either the bones on the outside which click when I manage to unlock it or the tendon thing I was talking about.

The long tendon thing running along the back and outside of you knee is your lateral hamstring; the bicep femoris tendon.

The other thing is your lateral collateral ligament and this is where I think your issue lies.

If I am right [and I cannot be sure without a scan] this means your knee has stability issues in the side-to-side motion. If this is the case, there are a lot of exercises I can give you. However, if this is the case, you would probably be referred to a physio who will also help you.

On the fielding the ball side of things...

In all honesty, if I could change one skill that is taught to children from an early age, it is the knee-to-the-ground way of fielding balls. It is slow. It is defensive. It isn't particularly effective. The only time I would ever recommend getting down on one knee is if you were fielding in the outfield, the ball had been hit directly to you, and there was absolutely no chance of the batsman taking a second. The fact that you can't do it is a perfect reason just to give it the boot completely!

Watch how the international cricketers and any baseball team does it. Line yourself up with the ball, turn sideways, your back foot behind the line of the ball, your hands down, beside your front foot, ready to shovel the ball up, and into a throwing position. It is easy, it is fast, and it is attacking. Barring any bad bounces, the worst case sceneraio is that you knock the ball down in front of yourself. If your team is well drilled, and treats fielding with the respect that it deserves, then hell, even if you do stuff it up, somebody should be backing you up.

Attacking fielding is the best tool for run stopping and wicket taking there is.

Back