Tait Gets His Contract Back

Boris

Tait Gets His Contract Back

The Cricket Australia (CA) National Selection Panel (NSP) today advised that South Australian quick Shaun Tait would replace Queensland all-rounder Andrew Symonds on the 25-man CA player list to be offered contracts for the 2009-10 season.
Symonds was originally offered a CA contract for 2009-10, however that offer has been revoked after a breach of team rules in the lead-up to the ICC World Twenty20 being played in England this month.
NSP Chairman Andrew Hilditch said; “With Cricket Australia now withdrawing its previous contract offer to Andrew Symonds, Shaun Tait has moved into a position where he has been offered a CA contract offer for 2009-10 under the rankings system CA uses to offer contracts to players.
“Shaun at his best is an important part of our one-day international and Twenty20 make-up and I’m sure he will now seize the opportunity presented to him with this offer of a further Australian contract.”
Tait is currently in England and will return to Australia in early July to play for Australia A against Pakistan A in Queensland.

apart from being at symonds expense, i say good. he deserves a contract and is looking to play the SS again - he wants in on the longer form of the game as well. i like taits bowling, i think australia could do with a strike bowler where runs don't count.

Re: Tait Gets His Contract Back

Against this, not really a fan of Tait. Struggles to even bowl 4 decent overs in a 20/20, will never make it as a Test player IMO.

“Shaun at his best is an important part of our one-day international and Twenty20 make-up and I’m sure he will now seize the opportunity presented to him with this offer of a further Australian contract.”

Thankfully the selectors don't consider him for the Test XI and/or even the squad.

He should just stick with limited overs cricket, his body can't handle the longer of the game. It would be both beneficial to the Australian team and himself.

Tait has an outstanding ST for an ODI bowler which is why he should endeavor in that format. I certainly believe he has a spot in our ODI XI, injuries permitting.

He did well in the last World Cup in the Windies, so on form- he's a decent backup for the one dayers/ T20 matches.

i think australia is missing a strike bowler, like what lee used to be. lee has turned more sensible and over the past couple of seasons has been very economical and getting wickets on a regular basis. with johnson and bracken there as well, both of them the same sort of thing, and i dont think hauritz (i assume he will be the aussie ODI spinner from now) is either. there is no strike bowler, with siddle being nowhere near that, especially in ODIs.

a strike bowler is needed where he can bowl a few fiery overs at a time and get wickets without the need to worry about runs. he was a great bowler throughout the world cup in the windies as was said. he isnt that troubled by injuries either, about as much as anyone.

i dont really like him either, but i think australia needs a bowler like him to just be wild.
and you cant say your not entertained by 150+kph bouncers... even if for only a couple of overs.

el-capitano;353906 said:
He did well in the last World Cup in the Windies, so on form- he's a decent backup for the one dayers/ T20 matches.

Yeah that's a good point.

My concern for "The Wild Thing" is, although he's a very entertaining bowler to watch and one of my favourite players, his action (all back), is obviously going to put massive pressure on his body, and therefore his stamina is going to take a toll and it shouldn't be a wonder he struggles in the longer version.:(
It will probably come to a point where he is going to need to remodel his action for him to last long term in his career (ala Dennis Lillee).
It could very well be for his own good. Good luck to him, he's battled problems on and off the field (with depression, a horrible illness). Until then, I cannot wait to see him in the green and gold, he has got enormous talent and potential.

I agree with most of what has been said.

Is an asset for the ODI team where he can bowl in 3 or 4 over bursts. Lack of stamina means he probably won't play in the test side again.

after coming back from his break from cricket he has lost of lot of fitness and as such injured himself. now after that he struggles to keep his pace up for longer then 3 overs. IMO that in itself is handy because he would not let the openers to settle, and especially in T20s three overs is a lot of time. in ODIs he could and can get quick wickets in those couple of overs, even if he doesnt get anymore after that. they are very helpful because the openers are often two of the most destructive batsman you will bowl to, so if they are gone, and maybe the number 3 (their best batsman) your on your way to a win. obviously he cant do that every time but i like his chances.

i think you are wrong about his ability in the longer form of the game. before his break, which was caused from his and dizzy gillespie's being ignored despite being the best in form bowlers in the country at the time, he was bowling very very well in the SS. he kept the pace at about 145-150 all day long, with the start of spells being more. that is no easy feat, and shows his possible fitness levels. i watched him get a 6 wicket haul in the same game that gillespie got an 8 wicket haul the next innings and it was absolutley brilliant in how smart he was bowling, despite his dropping in pace as it was the end of the day. he was scaring batsman into walking away from his stumps by bowling quick inswingers, much like the fatal yorker the lee has and i think can still bowl.

the only problem is that there is no room in the ODI team for him. bracken and johnson are two of the finest bowlers in ODI cricket, both in the top ten for rankings world wide (4th and 6th respectively), so they are definite stayers. i dont think lee is finished and should be around for a while, especially considering his couple of good games in pakistan, his success in the IPL and his continuing success in the tour match against sussex being played at this moment. siddle and clark are both more suited to tests but they can definitely make their way in the OD form of the game and hauritz i think has proved himself in the OD arena with his fine pakistan tour. bollinger, harwood and a couple others are all their and waiting as well. he would have to show his new found skills off at first class level before he can push off some of these bowlers.

Don't want to seem like im just copying what has already been said, but i agree. I am more than happy to see Tait in the One day and T20 matches playing for Australia but i would never pick Tait as a test player, he is just too inconsistent.

Nathan_Jones;354408 said:
Don't want to seem like im just copying what has already been said, but i agree. I am more than happy to see Tait in the One day and T20 matches playing for Australia but i would never pick Tait as a test player, he is just too inconsistent.

yes, i think he should work towards being a test bowler through playing the SS as he is intending to do, but i dont think he will make it to tests unless he plays so well that he he cannot be ignored. theres a reason he was picked in tests in the first place, he can play at that level. its just a matter of him getting there now before he is too old.

Back