Test XI Selection Thread

I'd like either Watson or Khawaja at 4 and whoever isn't at 4 opening. Stick Clarke back down at 5. Actually I'd prefer Khawaja opening. Watson just can't bat long enough for my liking. He's reliable but can't convert so it seems silly to have him opening. He is an ODI opener opening the batting in test cricket and it shows.

Siddle has looked awful, you'd think Copeland would be in the team for the first test now.

No question Copeland is the future and needs to be in but then in for a good run so he can find his way at the top level.
Khwaja please don't tell me he won't get a run, are we building toward the next ashes or what. If we have a hope of rolling the POMS we need a surprise team they don't know that could ambush them. this will require some really intuitive decisions now not next summer in a panic. Get a young team now and get on with it.

Clarke is wavering between Marsh and Khawaja because it is no 6. He has mentioned what rubbish form Khawaja has been in as well in the past six months. I think Marsh's head is not up to test cricket but I'd understand if they chose him as he has played some important innings for them in ODI's so on those grounds he has a lot more international experience.

They could solve the issue by opening with Khawaja and Hughes and letting Watson go to 3, but there's fat chance of Punter being moved. He's already said he doesn't want to move in the order and I think Clarke will back him... for now.

Copeland just took a 5-for and Khawaja made 101 (retired) so both are looking good chances for the first test. Marsh was dismissed on 12, not so good for him.
Khawaja at 6, Hughes to open with Watto and Copeland into the bowling lineup. Thoughts?

Looks like Copeland locked himself in ahead of Siddle with contrasting performances in warm up game, Khawaja will bat 6 I reckon. Re. Copeland, don't care if he is not that quick, we desperately need someone with consistent movement (this gets wickets at test level), not straight up and down pace. The only time Johnson & Siddle have success is when conditions suit and they actually swing it. He'll get exposed every now and then on a flat deck but so did Lillee, Alderman, McDermott and anyone else you want to name. As for which spinner we pick, doesn't matter, neither really good enough and would be surprised to see them make much impact despite prepared turning pitches.

Think Khawaja will get the nod just. Scored a hundred and will definitely feature in Australia's future plans. Marsh I'm not sure about, he's capable but needs to get it together and start scoring some runs in the longer form of the game.

Shane Watson
Phillip Hughes
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke (capt)
Michael Hussey
Usman Khawaja
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Trent Copeland
Nathan Lyon
12th man: Michael Beer (beer to carry the drinks lol)

Once again there is an almost completely unproven spinner in the side. As with all of the others, he's been given a pretty good wrap by selectors, capt etc etc. Anyone have an actual idea how good he is? It's very hard to judge on his figures after only 5 FC games, but please share if you have actually seen him bowl.
Copeland on the other hand certainly has a bit more to his name. Close to 20 FC matches and approaching 100 wickets. Looks like he gets decent movement as well, something sadly lacking from the Australian team when the planets aren't alined from Mitch Johnson to have his one devastating spell a year. Looking forward to seeing how both these blokes go, but personally have higher hopes and expectations of Copeland.
On the batting front, looks pretty good apart from Hughes to open (hopefully he can prove me wrong). Ponting may have his mojo back having given away the (c).

Apart from the utter ridiculousness of doing this with spin bowlers, I'm not sure that it makes a great deal of difference to the team who they play. Lyon is very young and monumentally inexperienced in all formats but then we don't have decent slow bowlers so it's not like he's keeping a huge talent out.

I don't think O'Keefe is a huge talent though I can't understand how he's managed to not get a gig yet when all about him...

The problem with Hauritz is that he has already played a test for Australia and has more than 4 first class matches and 10 wickets under his belt. C'mon, I thought it would be obvious.

The team looks good and should be settled for the long haul. The bowling actually looks not to bad and yes Siddle looks done.
First day was a lack of concertation and Hughs really needs to nuckle down. 273 is not a disaster though and a good bowling effort can still see us through.

WOW what is that pitch? makes day one look a mighty effort. One would think they won't make that mistake for the second test pitch.

Back