The Lounge 2

BettyBoo

Also known as Jessica.
Hi to all of you,:)

Life has been pretty hectic recently.
Had a car breakdown, the first one in my life. Luckily, the weather was fine, we found a safe place to wait for the towing service which arrived an hour later. We took a taxi home then. It'll take ten week before we get the refund of the costs. The car was taken to our repair shop and we could pick it up two days later. One week before the breakdown we'd had the car serviced for $500 and now we had to pay another $400 for the clutch cable.
That's the one that let me down:

Then I fell down while jogging and bruised myself on the face and body but didn't fracture anything.

Yesterday when I was taking Sari for a walk with her being without leash, all of a sudden a buffalo was rushing towards us only stopping at a fence which I thought was a joke anyway. Too late for Sari, though, who bolted and couldn't be stopped. She ran all the way back to our home which must have been two miles. When we finally arrived home she was sitting in front of the gate barking to be let in. Stupid because we could never have been faster than her because we spent time on that spot calling her name hoping she'd show up before we finally went back home but tell that to a dog.
The biggest miracle and relief was that she didn't cause an accident with all those speeding cyclists, inline skaters on that narrow trail, and also cars nearer our home. I don't want to imagine what could have happened. People might have ended up in a wheel-chair because of her with us having to pay for them for the rest of their life. I do thank my lucky stars.
That's the one that almost caused us a lot of real trouble scaring us all to death. Just look at the fence. It really is beyond me why it can make him stop but it did.

We are enjoying some lovely days of Indian Summer that is setting in. I love that season. Do you?
Please meet my wife Katy. We went to the beach today.
A buffalo 😦
Who does it belong to?

Glad you aren't too badly injured 🤗
Your wife looks nice, reckon she dipped her tootsies into that water straight after having her pic taken 😆

looker-on

aka Thomas
A buffalo 😦
Who does it belong to?

Glad you aren't too badly injured 🤗
Your wife looks nice, reckon she dipped her tootsies into that water straight after having her pic taken 😆
The buffaloes (there are several) tell you something about where I live which is on the outskirts of a larger town by a lake. Around the lake there are several preserves for deer, buffaloes, musk oxen, and sheep. I don't know who they belong to, actually. I've seen the shepherds attending to the sheep but no one else.

Can't do any jogging yet. 😞 Have to take the bike instead.
Thanks, Jessica. I can't remember why she had taken off her sandals. She might have literally tested the water before it was taken. She goes bathing far more often than I do.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Australia will spend $A50m. on the building of a lunar rover in a new deal struck with NASA for a future mission to the Moon.
The semi-autonomous rover will collect lunar soil that contains oxides, and using separate equipment, NASA will aim to extract oxygen from the soil. The Australian Government says its Trailblazer Space Program is a key step towards establishing a sustainable human presence on the Moon and even supporting future missions to Mars.
1634081678105.png

An artist impression of the Australian-made lunar rover.

This came as a bit of a shock I must admit.
I figured Australia was only a tiny fish in the 'space race' pond.

Last edited:

BettyBoo

Also known as Jessica.
Australia will spend $A50m. on the building of a lunar rover in a new deal struck with NASA for a future mission to the Moon.
The semi-autonomous rover will collect lunar soil that contains oxides, and using separate equipment, NASA will aim to extract oxygen from the soil. The Australian Government says its Trailblazer Space Program is a key step towards establishing a sustainable human presence on the Moon and even supporting future missions to Mars.
View attachment 1281

I figured Australia was only a small fish in the 'space race'.
Sounds interesting. I've always been interested in planets and outer space.
William Shatner went up to space recently, only to be criticised by Prince William with his 'save the planet' speech, yet he flies on planes as often as I book a coach trip 😆

looker-on

aka Thomas
View attachment 1281

I figured Australia was only a small fish in the 'space race'.
Quite an ambitious project. Germany is more low-key and rightly so, methinks, but it did supply the main cameras for the Perseverance Mars Mission.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Sounds interesting. I've always been interested in planets and outer space.
William Shatner went up to space recently, only to be criticised by Prince William with his 'save the planet' speech, yet he flies on planes as often as I book a coach trip 😆
A touch of irony with Shatner going into space.. he being the actor that played the universe explorer in Star Trek. The guy is 90. Holds up pretty well for a man of such an advanced age.

looker-on

aka Thomas
Also remember him from Star Treck which was known as "Spaceship Enterprise" over here and which I watched as a boy. Thought it was pretty boring, though, and the studio-like setting was looking artificial to me even back then.
If William cut down on those, he'd have a point. That kind of space tourism is superflous and damages the earth further even though Bezos said they'd be using the most environmentally- friendly fuel available. Shatner's argument that they were going to generate energy in space and bring it back to earth is just a supterfuge. I share William's view that the earth ought not to be given up in favour of looking for new habitats elsewhere. All the energy and money should be used to save our planet.

baggygreen man

also known as Richie
Staff member
Thomas recently I posted about a massive solar project Australia had in the pipeline. Well I am now hearing that the big force behind the $30b project is Atlassian co founder Mike Cannon-Brookes. He believes he and his project can make Australia a renewable energy superpower with pipelines carrying his energy to not only Singapore but many other Asian countries and beyond over the next decade. This clever Aussie tech guru may be a visionary but he has a reputation in the business world for getting things done and fast. He says he will have the first stage of the pipeline to Darwin in 2024 then Singapore in 2026.

Last edited:

looker-on

aka Thomas
Thomas recently I posted about a massive solar project Australia had in the pipeline. Well I am now hearing that the big force behind the $30b project is Atlassian co founder Mike Cannon-Brookes. He believes he and his project can make Australia a renewable energy superpower with pipelines carrying his energy to not only Singapore but many other Asian countries and beyond over the next decade. This clever Aussie tech guru may be a visionary but he has a reputation in the business world for getting things done and fast. He says he will have the first stage of the pipeline to Darwin in 2024 then Singapore in 2026.
Mankind needs people like him and not the Bransons, Bezos, and Musks who keep investing in dated technologies and in the end do more harm than good. Inventions that can help get mankind out of the present and future mess are often less spectacular and seldom include any kind of fun factor as those old boys seem to be needing.

Last edited by a moderator: