The Lounge 2

Australia and India about to sign a major trade deal that will hopefully remove some of the pressure from our miners and farmers that Beijing's coersion and bullying has created.

As I write this I am listening to Rainbow Lorikeets fossicking for food in a nearby flowering tree.
Sounds like paradise and the birds look like it.

As for " Nothing like having strong allies in times of tension. " you can be more optimistic that the US aren't going to let you down since the Pacific region now is the new focus of the US security policy quite in contrast to Europe as I argued some time ago.

Sounds like paradise and the birds look like it.
There was a pic in our morning national of the outgoing Angela Merkel being 'attacked' kindly by a flock of Aussie Rainbow Parakeets at a northern Germany bird park.

Last edited:
you can be more optimistic that the US aren't going to let you down
I was always optimistic. Our strong alliance was forged in 1942 when the Australian Army with some late US Marines help kicked the Japanese out of New Guinea. Before that General MacArthur called our troops "cowards" . Our early troops were little trained and armed enlisted men thrust into a sudden war that threatened the Australian mainland. They were brave men. When the AA eventually stopped the Japanese advance at Kokoda, then decimated landing troops at Buna and Gona Mac apologized profusely to the Australian Commander.

Last edited:
I just explained they are housed in a special Bird Park in the north of your country. Not sure what you mean. I saw a pic of Merkel holding food pans for the Lorikeets. One was perched on her shoulder. She did have a look of not altogether liking the situation.

Scott Morrison copping plenty of praise for instigating AUKUS and being an integral member of the QUAD alliance between US, Japan, India and Australia.. the latter aimed at countering Chinese insidious "debt diplomacy" in the Indo/Pacific. Only sorry that Germany or other EU nations have not come on board either alliance.

Scott Morrison copping plenty of praise for instigating AUKUS and being an integral member of the QUAD alliance between US, Japan, India and Australia.. the latter aimed at countering Chinese insidious "debt diplomacy" in the Indo/Pacific. Only sorry that Germany or other EU nations have not come on board either alliance.
Hardly surprising, the EU is concernd about this move for it draws the attention of two NATO members away from Europe toward the Pacific region. As I said before, Germany and EU member states are in a cleft stick when having to decide in favour of either the US or China. We need both.

I just explained they are housed in a special Bird Park in the north of your country. Not sure what you mean. I saw a pic of Merkel holding food pans for the Lorikeets. One was perched on her shoulder. She did have a look of not altogether liking the situation.
If that pic doesn't have a symbolic meaning, it's just a photo then. She's not good with dogs, I know, because she was bitten once and is twice shy now. Probably didn't feel comfortable.
I'll sling my hook now and go to the polls.

B BettyBoo
Jessica, I came across reports saying that supermarket shelves at some places in the UK are not being stocked like normal due to a lack of (European) truck drivers as a result of the Brexit.
What's the situation like in Lancs.?
Yes it's true what you read Thomas.
Plus people are now panic buying petrol because we haven't enough HGV drivers to transport new supplies. If things don't improve soon then I can see food rationing an option, I think there's already a limit on how much petrol a person can buy.

Just a question to the two of you. I've heard on the news and then dug for some articles and videos cheering the return of the imperial measurement system to the UK including the crown stamp. Since Johnson calls it the "metrical martyrdom" and Frost referred to the "regulatory meat grinder" I was just wondering what you think of it? Are you enjoying the "ancient freedoms" again that you had been deprived of for so long as Johnson put it?
How did you cope with the metrical system considering that it was never consistent since distances were always given in miles, beer came in pint glasses. What do younger folks think of it?
Richie, what about your country? What system have you been using and how comfortable are you with it? Are there any similar changes in the pipeline?
I've not heard anything yet. I do like to use ounces and pounds myself and I drive in miles rather than km, but it won't really bother me if we change to another system. 😎

My eternal curse insomnia has plagued me ever since Bubbles injury as having to attend to his toilet runs at all hours has shot my sleep patterns and my body clock is now all over the place.

My eternal curse insomnia has plagued me ever since Bubbles injury as having to attend to his toilet runs at all hours has shot my sleep patterns and my body clock is now all over the place.
Sorry to hear that, Richie. Attending Bubbles' toilet runs would also shoot the sleep patterns of someone who has no sleeping problems, I guess. I didn't know you had to attend him that regularly. I'm glad that I just have to open the patio door to let Sari out. I see that dog owners often need to get dressed in the middle of a cold night.
My sleep is getting worse, too. At least one night a week or in a fortnight I spend at the PC 'cos I can't sleep. A luxury, though, if you don't need to go to work in the morning.

His tablet and heart medicine both affect his bladder. Be ok if he was able to manage the decking steps as we have a doggie door. Tho he now shows a willingness to try them which is a good sign.
You mean you sit up all nite playing on your PC mate. Not having to get up for work is good but prefer to sleep more soundly anyway.

Looks as tho Germany has voted in a left leaning pinko candidate. Hope you dont regret it. Gotta hand it to Angela Merkel.. 16 years as Chancellor. Europe's modern Iron Lady without a doubt..

You mean you sit up all nite playing on your PC mate. Not having to get up for work is good but prefer to sleep more soundly anyway.

Looks as tho Germany has voted in a left leaning pinko candidate. Hope you dont regret it. Gotta hand it to Angela Merkel.. 16 years as Chancellor. Europe's modern Iron Lady without a doubt..
Yes, I mean that.

Nothing pinko about the election winner Scholz. His most leftist plan is to try and increase the minimum wage. He's the current Finance Minister and knows the ropes. I guess it's gonna end up in a coalition of the social democrates, the greens, and the liberals. No problem with that. Merkel's party has had its chance for the last 16 years and looks jaded.

Yes, I mean that.

Nothing pinko about the election winner Scholz. His most leftist plan is to try and increase the minimum wage. He's the current Finance Minister and knows the ropes. I guess it's gonna end up in a coalition of the social democrates, the greens, and the liberals. No problem with that. Merkel's party has had its chance for the last 16 years and looks jaded.
:thumbsu: Wont they turn pink if they team up with the Greens tho?

Last edited:
Back