The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

Re: The valleys and beyond - a season in Welsh cricket.

I do try to play as much as I can, you never know when you're going to get a game or 5 washed out. The only problem is feeling stiff for about 5 days a week!

As for the restricted run up, it's more about reducing the time it takes to bowl the over in those types of games rather than anything else, however, I was not the only one moaning about it.

Thanks Virender!

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant that a few steps of run up wouldn't make much difference to the time it takes when compared to the effect on the bowler.

Yeah, it makes very little difference at all. I think in this case the run up was no more than 6/7 paces, if that.

Not much to update lately thanks to the wonderful British weather. Despite the past two days being dry(ish) I woke up to dark clouds and rain again this morning, so cricket is looking doubtful once again.

If this week gets called off then we're down to only 2 games left and with football starting I can't really see either going ahead, even with decent weather.

I'm going to curse the weekend by posting this, but there is a slim chance that I may get some cricket!

now youve done it! we need a win to fight for the lat promotion place!

You'll be fine, I live too far west and we always seem to get the worst of the weather.

So do I, according to the breakdown it should be dry here until about 7ish, so we may get a game in. Looking at your general location, you should be pretty much ok for the day, should even get some decent sunshine.

well it looks to be a cracking day so far! will be leaving soon for the ground and there is not a cloud in the sky!

We got a game started but it got abandoned about 14 overs into our innings. The wicket was a tad brown in colour but played ok.

We played saturday, Fantastic Day (Except the loss) but weather was HOT!

Sunday started damp, we had cocktails at 11.00am lunch at two and started the declaration game at 2.00pm and played through without any problems!

You fared a lot better than we did then.

Just worked out that I'm averaging over 23 with the bat and 27 with the ball. Would like them the other way around but not too bad seeing as my ankle has been injured most of the year. Final league game on Saturday, so the aim is to get them both to 25 (34 runs and 2 wickets should do it).

Sounds Good, i'm averaging 25 with the bat, and 14 catches and 5 stumpings so far! in league games! got two to play!

Both of you guys would be top of my club's averages, or at least in the top few, with batting averages like that. I'm averaging around 5 with the bat but just over 16 with the ball.

I'm shocked at the bat average myself to be honest, although with the way things have been going I'm a little unhappy that I'm not closer to 30. If we hadn't missed the last few weeks I reckon it would have been nearer to that mark, and the bowling would be close to 20.

I made 19 on Saturday but that included five '2s' that on a normal outfield would have gone for 4 without a problem, the grass was a little long and very wet. Bowled ok, took 1 for 14 off 8 although I did put down a difficult return chance - not playing for 3 weeks hasn't helped my fielding. Wicket was a corker though, the kid thought it was going down leg but it swung back, pitched yorker length and took out middle peg. He was beaten all ends up, not playing a stroke and looking foolish!

The one that bugged me most was the ball that just did too much and missed the top of off by a whisker. I reckon that if it had clipped the stump, I'd have sent it cartwheeling - a real jaffa of a ball.

i'm a bit the same mas, had couple weeks of no cricket, but my last few innings have been No outs 4 i think including a 58* 30* and 17* and a 19* all of which bumped up my avaerage in the 1sts to 25 exactly. Sadly the Umpire on sunday was standing a country mile away from the crease to notice my stumping!

Last league game of the season tomorrow, nothing to play for except personal pride. A win would be nice but depends what type of team we have.

After having the captaincy given to me about 30 mins before the game last week, it'll be nice to go back to normal rank and file (albeit senior!) and just worry about my game and not everyone elses. I do enjoy being captain but do find it hard when bowling, especially as no-one else will step up and help. Nevermind though.

Weather should be nice, although I have an early start as the car needs its MOT and that means getting it across town and into the garage by 8. Just hope it passes.

I'm looking forward to captaining a side some day, but I'd definitely like to be reasonably happy with my own game first. Plus I don't think anyone would listen to me at the moment ;) I've my car test next monday morning, fingers crossed. Good luck with yours.

It passed, so thats good.

Captaincy can be very rewarding (especially when you win) but I do think that it's easier for a batsman then a bowler.

Back