The Weather Thread

As for the actual weather, the temperature today was 28.9 degrees and sunny, 29 degrees forecast for tomorrow and then 27 degrees on Saturday with plenty of sun on both days. It'll be partly cloudy and sunny with temperatures in the mid 20's for the next few days after that before the rain returns on Wednesday next week.
Also Richie Richie
How much of a weather or climate difference is there between Perth and Sydney?

Also Richie Richie
How much of a weather or climate difference is there between Perth and Sydney?

There's some difference. Perth has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate which is characterised by long, hot and dry summers with mild, wet winters. Summer tends to go for four months from December to March which is generally hot with little rainfall, the heat tends to be very dry and temperatures over 40 degrees Celsius generally happen a few times per year with maximums of 35+ degrees quite common. Minimums above 20 degrees are common too. Winter spans from June to August and is mostly fairly mild while being generally wet with rainfall in Perth being highly seasonal.

Sydney on the other hand has a humid subtropical climate charactierised by mild, wet winters and warm but wet summers. Rainfall is fairly uniform throughout the year although it is most wet from February through to June and drier from August to October. Sydney is actually Australia's second wettest capital city behind Darwin, it is wetter than Brisbane even though Brisbane is much closer to the tropics. Sydney is also quite humid, particularly in summer where minimum temperatures are regularly over 20 degrees Celsius.

There's some difference. Perth has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate which is characterised by long, hot and dry summers with mild, wet winters. Summer tends to go for four months from December to March which is generally hot with little rainfall, the heat tends to be very dry and temperatures over 40 degrees Celsius generally happen a few times per year with maximums of 35+ degrees quite common. Minimums above 20 degrees are common too. Winter spans from June to August and is mostly fairly mild while being generally wet with rainfall in Perth being highly seasonal.

Sydney on the other hand has a humid subtropical climate charactierised by mild, wet winters and warm but wet summers. Rainfall is fairly uniform throughout the year although it is most wet from February through to June and drier from August to October. Sydney is actually Australia's second wettest capital city behind Darwin, it is wetter than Brisbane even though Brisbane is much closer to the tropics. Sydney is also quite humid, particularly in summer where minimum temperatures are regularly over 20 degrees Celsius.
Thanks. Ljp86 Ljp86 :thumbsu: That's a very lucid description. Mediterranean climate and a subtropical one tell me a lot.

Here in the UK the current weather and time of the year if you're a surfer (I was/am) is sublime. Having had all summer to heat the ocean up on the West coast (Atlantic) Cornwall the water temp is 17 centigrade of thereabouts. The air temp is very similar with the sun out at 18 degrees with off-shore wind and the passing distant hurricanes moving up the East coast of the USA, Cornwall at this time of year is sublime, with a 3mm wetsuit the water is warm and the air temp is warm and there's virtually no difference and the waves can be classic. Every year I dream of being there, but because of my job (Lecturer) I can't take holidays in this window of opportunity and it only lasts around 5 weeks and then the air temp drops.

Here in the UK the current weather and time of the year if you're a surfer (I was/am) is sublime. Having had all summer to heat the ocean up on the West coast (Atlantic) Cornwall the water temp is 17 centigrade of thereabouts. The air temp is very similar with the sun out at 18 degrees with off-shore wind and the passing distant hurricanes moving up the East coast of the USA, Cornwall at this time of year is sublime, with a 3mm wetsuit the water is warm and the air temp is warm and there's virtually no difference and the waves can be classic. Every year I dream of being there, but because of my job (Lecturer) I can't take holidays in this window of opportunity and it only lasts around 5 weeks and then the air temp drops.
It's a dream land for surfers Australia only real worry would be getting taken out by a shark hehe.

It's a dream land for surfers Australia only real worry would be getting taken out by a shark hehe.
Yeah a mate of mine who I used to surf with back in the day was an Aussie he came over for a couple of summers 86 and 87 and I've always wanted to visit him in Aus. He surfs around Sydney but often gets away to Indo and he tried to get me go this year, but he always goes when I'm teaching, so I've never been to Aus or Indo as a result and cost is always a factor too. Maybe one day?

Thanks. Ljp86 Ljp86 :thumbsu: That's a very lucid description. Mediterranean climate and a subtropical one tell me a lot.

No worries. Could also classify Perth as sub-tropical given the Mediterranean climate. Perth is also one of the windiest cities in the world too and one of the most isolated.

This has got the be the coldest start to October I've ever experienced. The pool opens in just over 2 weeks and I'm sitting here still with a hoodie and the heater on.

This has got the be the coldest start to October I've ever experienced. The pool opens in just over 2 weeks and I'm sitting here still with a hoodie and the heater on.

What has the temperature been there, Kram?

We've had a misty morning with temps around 7 degrees, I can almost hear all my Aussie friends here going brrrrrrr.....!!😆⛄

Back