Tim Paine

Kram81

Tim Paine

Impressive century last night but how good is it to watch a quality wicket keeper this series?

Re: Tim Paine

If he continues to bat like that then there is no spot for Haddin as far as I am concerned.

Manou showed more promise in the one test he had as well, I do not see the fascination with Haddin, the moment he is no longer making runs at test level....goodbye.

Haddin was being groomed to be Gilchrist's successor for years, so he's going to be in the team for a while, deservedly so or not.

The true test will be what he does in a year/18 months time. Many players make an impact in their first series or two but then get worked out. He seems to be solid behind the stumps but it's too early to tell with regards to his batting.

Good maiden ton though!

I agree but I think the one issue I have is that he struggles to get the ball of the square. His century was a nice one but he builds pressure for his opening partners which can be an issue.

I must admit Australia have three pretty solid keepers - Haddin, Paine and Manou a very good situation. I can not say that South Africa is in that position.

im pretty sure all the keepers playing for a domestic team in australia would be able to make a positive impact on the australian side if they play. its just a matter of how much.
thats a good position being able to have the choice of limitless keepers.

haddin isnt the best keeper ever, but he doesnt grass every second chace, more maybe one in fifteen. he is also a good vice-captain. i think haddin just out does paine for now. just has to keep scoring runs.

Despite being a NSWman, I really, really like the look of Paine, and I reckon Haddin could be in trouble. I'd still have Haddin ahead of him for the moment, but if Paine can accumulate a bit more experience, perhaps add some extra dimensions to his batting game, I reckon he might force Haddin out. I'm not saying become a slogger, the reason he's playing for Australia is because he knows his game, but if he knew he COULD up the tempo when needed, it would be very handy.

So we've got Haddin, Paine, Hartley, Manou, Ronchi.

While Haddin is stll scoring Test runs- he's a lock in- but once his form goes, his keeping is not good enough to keep him in the side, and Paine could slot in, providing he keeps his current form.

Its a shame that Ronchi seems to have disappeared off the radar as well, to keep these guys honest.

Why is Haddin's spot even being questioned? He averaged 46 with the bat in the Ashes, and his keeping was solid. Took just about every catch that came his way. Sure, let few some byes but Paine also has let through some byes in the matchs I have watched.

Lets not make Paine out to be the messiah, gee, you guys would get a bit of eye contact from a girl and think she's keen on you, even if it was just a passing glance.

Talk about going over the top.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;365932 said:
Lets not make Paine out to be the messiah, gee, you guys would get a bit of eye contact from a girl and think she's keen on you, even if it was just a passing glance.

Talk about going over the top.

Tim Paine is not the messiah, Callum Ferguson is

a for effort;365936 said:
Tim Paine is not the messiah, Callum Ferguson is

if thats not going over the top then i dont know what is... :p

im with LtD on this, i like paine and think he has done well, but its the same as happens all the time.

if every time a player is injured and the fill in player does very well, and then the original player is dropped, the team would be filled with half hearted performers and the team would be constantly changing with no consistency to win matches.

thats a problem lately with teams being switched and changed unnecessarily because a young up and comer looks alright.

this reason is why, for example, hayden and langer were a good opening pair. they stuck with two players for that long together through good and bad times and form and it won endless games for australia. that is how cricket is played.

schwab2clarkson;366342 said:
He's doing really well as a replacement for Haddin.

and thats his role.

people should thank him for fulfilling it so well and move on.
he should go back to domestic sides and play his pants off and try and force his way into the team.

I can't see any other position for him, he is a very classical looking player. In ODI cricket there really isn't any place of those type of players anywhere else but the top of the order. Their classical technique means that they are very capable against the moving new ball, and they there orthodox shots are rewarded because the field is up inside the circle.

I don't know what role he normally plays when he opens at Tasmania. Is he a hitter or a player to bat through the entire innings.

I really want to see some explosive batting in the first 15 overs when we bat.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;366750 said:
I can't see any other position for him, he is a very classical looking player. In ODI cricket there really isn't any place of those type of players anywhere else but the top of the order. Their classical technique means that they are very capable against the moving new ball, and they there orthodox shots are rewarded because the field is up inside the circle.

I don't know what role he normally plays when he opens at Tasmania. Is he a hitter or a player to bat through the entire innings.

I really want to see some explosive batting in the first 15 overs when we bat.

well thats fair enough on the position then. i dont watch much of other states but queensland so i dont know.

the explosive batting requires people that can do that though. hayden and gilly, yes, others may not.

Looks like a good player but when haddin is right should make way. Has to keep getting runs at first class level & hope for haddin to struggle.
I'd be looking at Paine more for test cricket rather than ODI and T20.

Haddin has just come off a great Ashes series, at times his batting their was truly masterful. Has a great ability to counter-attack, which is a quality I value very highly in any batsmen, the best I have ever seen at it is Ricky Ponting.

How many times have we lost an early wicket, and Ponting comes in and in no times has blasted a few fours and we have gone from 1/5 to 1/50 in no time. It makes a massive difference.

It's why I don't yet rate Clarke as an elite batsmen, to me he is a bit one paced and he needs to be batting with a great player in Ponting before he is capable of riding on the coat-tails of a Ponting counter-attack.

Haddin coming in at 7 allows us more attacking options, for example, in a test match we might be 5/240 on Day 1 with an hour to go, Haddin comes in, and we can go from 5/240 to 5/300 by the end of stumps, then the day is ours.

Lets not get carried away by Paine's pretty boy looks and smooth shot making, Haddin is a more accomplished player and shouldn't be under any pressure what so ever.

Back