United States Youth Champions

The first ever Women's Youth Internationals for Team USA results in a tightly fought 4 match series won by a 3-1 margin over Windward Islands Women's Under 19s

Take note of the photos in the tweet--Team USA are all first-generation children

No problems there--soccer survived on a similar talent pool for decades

Hopefully successes like this will bring the sport to a wider audience, both with fans and participants

Brilliant. So cricket certainly is taking off in the US for men and women. First generation girls of what looks like mostly sub continental stock. Are there any home grown Caucasians playing the sport, boys too.

I look at European sides and almost all are either Indian, Sri lankan or Pakistani. For cricket to be a truly global sport there needs to be a push for the home grown native to be playing and in fact leading the way.

My main sport here was soccer, and I also spent a lot of time writing about its history here and such

For generations, it, too, was a sport dominated by first-generation immigrants…indeed, even today has a national team featuring Mexican-Americans (or the children of servicemen overseas), with fewer “all American boy” types than you would expect after all this time…even as the professional game here is more popular than ever

What will it take to make cricket mainstream here, as opposed to mostly the sport of our growing Indian community? Too early to say; hopefully, exposure to T20 (which goes by faster and with more excitement than your typical baseball game these days) via Major League Cricket will help. Just as hopefully, that league will manage to bring over some Aussie, NZ and England stars so it looks like something more than a city Sunday league

Mind you, this isn’t an anti-Indian/Pakistani (or anti-Windie) stance; rather, if we’ve learned anything from the tortured history of pro soccer here, it’s that you can’t just throw a foreign game out there, load it up with foreign players, and expect the immigrant community to come out in droves just because it’s “their” game played by “their” people. They’ll stay home and watch the teams they grew up supporting on telly instead

Not sure how you address that, though. Sign some moderately well-known baseball players for publicity value and hope they can cut it? I don’t know

Me? I’ll be supporting MLC either way.

T20? Yes if they were able to lure some international players from those countries you named that can only be good for growing the game there.
Canada had Global T20 in 2018 and 2019. 2018 included David Warner (Winnipeg) and Steve Smith (Toronto), who needed someplace to play while suspended, I suppose. But the league was primarily Sub-Continental and West Indian (the latter’s B-team competed in the league), and fans were not impressed

Wisden’s was pretty critical about the non-Canadian involvement, as noted in the pic

Attachments

• 34678352-15CA-44D6-AFC1-297AE4C298F8.jpeg
    34678352-15CA-44D6-AFC1-297AE4C298F8.jpeg
    595.2 KB · Views: 1
Awesome, here's hoping this win will help USA cricket move forward, particularly with women's cricket too. :thumbsu:

Back