(Vague) Plans announced for IPL style American league

MinuteWaltz

Lockerbie outlines plans for US-style IPL | USA Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Not sure if this is already up somewhere, but I thought I'd share it. I know there is talk of starting an "American Premier League" every couple of months, but this time the USACA is onboard, and so presumably will the ICC be.

As an American, I'm not sure what to think about this. I believe anytime you can get cultural cross-pollination it is a good thing, and so for that reason I hope this goes well. However, there seems to be no real market for this, and I get the feeling the USACA and the ICC are determined to force such a league, whether wanted or not, for the sake of some nebulus future US revenues that may never exist. Again, not sure what to think about this. I'd appreciate any outside perspectives.

Re: (Vague) Plans announced for IPL style American league

From what I gather this move is based on two things. One, the high amounts of subcontinent expats living in America which could lead to spectator numbers and two the intense need of the ICC to make cricket a global game..

I hate to be a negative person but this is just another money making venture for an elite few with permanent impact for the rest of the cricket world.

That's the thing though, there aren't that many such residents (at least in US terms).

-Asian Americans of any type (including Japanese Americans, Chinese Americans, and other Asian Americans from cultures that don't like cricket) total ~15,000,000 or about 5% of the US population. Asian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Indian Americans make up about 2,700,000 Americans or 0.9% of the population. Indian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Pakistani Americans make up ~500,000 Americans or 0.1% of the population. Pakistani American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Bangladeshi Americans make up ~150,000 Americans or 0.05% of the population. Bangladeshi American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And these values include individuals whose families have been in the US for generations and have long since lost their affinity for cricket. So this league is banking on the the support of perhaps 3.5 million South Asian Americans spread out over a country 3.8 million square miles (9.8 million square kilometers)?

Again I'd like it to succeed purely from a cultural diversification standpoint, but I just see the league as being a (futile) money grab.

dont like it. dont like it at all. if the americans dont like cricket then dont give it to them.

Lockerbie outlines plans for US-style IPL | USA Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Not sure if this is already up somewhere, but I thought I'd share it. I know there is talk of starting an "American Premier League" every couple of months, but this time the USACA is onboard, and so presumably will the ICC be.

As an American, I'm not sure what to think about this. I believe anytime you can get cultural cross-pollination it is a good thing, and so for that reason I hope this goes well. However, there seems to be no real market for this, and I get the feeling the USACA and the ICC are determined to force such a league, whether wanted or not, for the sake of some nebulus future US revenues that may never exist. Again, not sure what to think about this. I'd appreciate any outside perspectives.

Currently there are plans afoot for "Major League Cricket," slated to start in 2023. As an appetizer, the same folks ran "Minor League Cricket" in 2021, and have another season set for this year.

In 2004, there was a league (imaginatively entitled "Pro Cricket") that only ran for a year before shutting down. Canada had its Global T20 league, which ran for two seasons (and featured Steve Smith and David Warner during their suspensions), but appears to be defunct now.

Apparently, all of these leagues are relying on support from the immigrant Indian (and West Indian) communities. If early attempts at pro soccer in the U.S. are any indication (circa 1967-84), this is a bad idea. However, the DVR/streaming era has made live sports the most desirable advertising revenue on TV, so maybe MLC will get decent TV deals the way field lacrosse did.

Back