Waqar Younis the new man in charge of Pakistan Cricket

D.K

Waqar Younis the new man in charge of Pakistan Cricket

Article is here from CricInfo

4th coach in close to 3 years. He has signed on till 2011 which really means nothing over there, the PCB want results and wants them quick. You can't deliver then your out.

Thoughts on the appointment?

Re: Waqar Younis the new man in charge of Pakistan Cricket

Good appointment. If one of Pakistan's greatest cricketing heroes can't turn around their serious culture problems then nobody can. A proper captain to go alongside him and Pakistan will have the base to become a successful team once again.

Waqar Younis appointed coach of Pakistan (and for 21 months!!!)

Waqar Younis has been appointed as pakistan’s latest cricket coach. Why latest? Because he became the fourth person in the last three years to assume the mantle, clearly showing the lack of direction within the Pakistani ranks.

Younis has replaced Intikhab Alam as the coach. No problems with that, given that Alam looked to be going nowhere with his strategy and was more of a father-figure to the side, than a shrewd tactician or master motivator. Else, the team wouldn’t have gone down so tamely in australia; 9-0.

The funny bit is that the joke by the name of the Waqar Younis contract runs till the end of December 2011. That is a good 21 month long sign-up! In a country where coaches have fell by the wayside after every bad series or two, the 21- month long contract is almost eternity.

How many months does Waqar last is a question that would be on everyone’s l i p s, but when you have countrymen like Javed Miandad who were very candid in saying that Younis is the wrong choice as the coach of the side! Not that Miandad has too many fond memories of any foreign coach either, which makes it possible that he was gunning for the position himself!

a for effort;391060 said:
Good appointment. If one of Pakistan's greatest cricketing heroes can't turn around their serious culture problems then nobody can. A proper captain to go alongside him and Pakistan will have the base to become a successful team once again.

Probably should throw in a new board while your at it.

The cricket team is a shambles at the moment, hoping to see a turn around but know it will be a slow process

I must be honest, this is a political move from the Board and nothing else. He has no experience but has the younger players in awe of him. At least Ijaz Ahmed has dealt with the U19s during the world cup.

Look the cannot get worse but the Board remains a massive issue, I have not read anything about the $10 million missing from the board. I think that they should really consider getting a panel to help him if he is the chosen one. Ramiz Raja, Javed Miandad, Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail all are doing cricket related jobs ie. Media, ICC and they can help. The most intresting thing is that Wasim Akram must have crossed over the Indian side and was not mentioned at all.. He is a consultant to the Kolkota Knight Riders and wants the India Bowling coach job.

I still think that for Pakistan cricket to make big progress they need an outsider and support from the board and the senior players. I dont think that this was the right call made by the PCB.

good choice, they need as much help as they can get, maybe now the can rebuild there team to become successful

Incredible.

Rana, Malik get one-year bans, Younis and Yousuf axed from teams | Pakistan Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

The PCB has struck against its players with a venom unseen in recent memory, carrying out the deepest cull of a senior cricket team in many years and banning and fining seven of its top players after the side's disastrous, winless tour of Australia. It has banned Younis Khan and Mohammad Yousuf, from playing for Pakistan in any format for an indefinite period, while handing out one-year bans to Shoaib Malik and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan. Shahid Afridi and the Akmal brothers were fined Rs2-3 million [$24,000-35,000] for various misdemeanours and put on six-month probations.

Crazy, crazy, crazy. The team needed a rocket up them and some serious culture change, but this seems overly extreme. You never know though; it could work out.

Mas I think his personality might be a reason for all the madness. He is on the backfoot now more than ever.

Back