What's the rules regarding this.....

someblokecalleddave

What's the rules regarding this.....

The batsman hits the ball - mis-hits and the ball falls almost dead behind him and it's rolling towards his stumps - I saw some footage today from last years world cup and the batsman stopped the ball using his bat. What's the rules here - is that legitimate and could you use your foot instead? As it happens the ball looked as though it was moving so slow that it probably wouldn't have dislodged the stumps anyway. But can someone clarify the rules - could he have bent down and stopped the ball with his hand for instance?

Re: What's the rules regarding this.....

Stopping the ball with his hand is given OUT and known as "Handled the Ball"
For eg: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNbAwpngRiE"]YouTube - Steve Waugh handling the ball[/ame]
At the most batsmen kicks the ball.

Its legitimate to stop the ball using your foot as long as a fielder hasn't touched it. Using the hand or bat will result in batsman being declared out.

i thought the bat is allowed to be used, aslong it is not stoping the ball with in an agressive movement. if it is placed there in between ball and stump i thought it was allowed?????

Hitting the ball twice, as long as it is in play, is actually against the laws of cricket. I don't think any batsman has been dismissed in this fashion in international cricket, but it could be because, generally, the batsman's intention is to just return the ball rather than protecting his wicket or gaining extra runs. However, if they appeal, the umpire has to give it out.

But you are allowed to stop the ball with your bat if it's to protect your wicket. Thats the impression I've always been under. But your never allowed to brush the ball away or hit the ball twice with the intention of runs

Yeah, you are right. I got confused between it and handled the ball. I just checked the laws on MCC's website. According to them, you are allowed to use the bat to stop the ball from hitting the wicket as long as it hasn't touched any member of the opposing side. You can't hit it to prevent from being caught or scoring extra runs though. Its upto the umpire to decide what the batsman's intentions were.

Alright, but that 'hasn't touched the fielder' part is interesting. I never actually realised that, although it makes a lot of sense.

Wouldnt that be obstructing the field. I think Inzamam once hit the ball to block a fielders throw once and he got out obstructing the field.
I dont understand the difference between the three rules - handled the ball, hit the ball twice and obstructing the field. Shouldnt all of it be under obstructing the field. If you willfully obstruct the field with the bat or person you are out. Why cant it be as simple as that?

Inzy's dismissal is in this:- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsjbkOX7gUA"]YouTube - The Top Ten Weird Dismissals Of Cricket!![/ame]

It's a bit complicated alright. If you try reading these three rules on the MCC website they keep referencing each other - http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/laws-of-cricket/laws/

Regarding the original question - it is legal to strike the ball more than once with ANY part of the body:

3. Ball lawfully struck more than once
Solely in order to guard his wicket and before the ball has been touched by a fielder, the striker may lawfully strike the ball more than once with his bat or with any part of his person other than a hand not holding the bat.
Notwithstanding this provision, the striker may not prevent the ball from being caught by making more than one stroke in defence of his wicket.

If the the batsman has made contact with the ball once then he cannot touch the ball again whilst in play. If he does so to deflect the ball or to stop it hitting the stumps then it is 'hit ball twice' and out. In normal circumstances, if the bat has made contact with the ball and the ball is going towards stumps then the batsman can kick it away as he cannot be given lbw because bat has hit the ball first.

Just the other day I saw a young batsman who played the ball with his bat but the ball dropped and kept rolling towards stumps. It would probably would not have hit stumps or hit teh stumps hard enoug to dislodge teh bails. However, he bent down and used his hands to roll the ball away. He was given out for handling ball.

The batsman is allowed to hit the ball with his bat a secodn time to stop it hitting the stumps, as long as he doesn't hit it too aggressively.

akkers said:
Just the other day I saw a young batsman who played the ball with his bat but the ball dropped and kept rolling towards stumps. It would probably would not have hit stumps or hit teh stumps hard enoug to dislodge teh bails. However, he bent down and used his hands to roll the ball away. He was given out for handling ball.

That is so unfortunately. According to Law 34, the hand not holding the bat is the only part of the body you CANNOT hit the ball with a second time in defense of the wicket. Any other part of the body; head, knee, feet, elbow, shoulder, bat etc is fine :D

slightly off topic but i remember Atherton knocking his bails off once, no one noticed so he put it back on !

Stumped;26134 said:
slightly off topic but i remember Atherton knocking his bails off once, no one noticed so he put it back on !

At what stage did he knock them off though? You can only be out hit-wicket if you knock the bails off when attempting a shot. Any other time it's not out. I'd be surprised if no-one noticed he'd hit his own wicket while hitting the ball - it's the one time you can be guaranteed everyone's looking at him!

i think iirc the stepped back on them, but everyone else was ball watching!

A batter can be given out hitting the ball twice if the second strike is deliberate. There are two exceptions that allow a batsman to hit the ball on a second occasion:

protecting their wicket (ie: stopping the ball from rolling back on to the stumps).

returning the ball to the fielding team, with their permission

The batsman is not allowed to hit the ball a second time to prevent a catch - and he is also out if in hitting the ball a second time to protect his wicket, he prevents a catch.

Handling the ball going on to hit the stumps is out.

Back