Who should bat at number 6 in SA?

Who should be selected at number 6?

• Andrew McDonald

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kram81

Who should bat at number 6 in SA?

Who should get the first go at number 6, Andrew McDonald or Marcus North?

Re: Who should bat at number 6 in SA?

North. McDonald isn't a Test-standard player. Maybe North isn't either, but he's a better shot than Ronnie I reckon.

For me it depends on which spinner they play.
If McGain plays then McDonald should bat at 6.
If Hauritz plays then North to bat at 6.
This is because if Hauritz plays, he is going to need some help in the spin bowling department. But as i think McGain will play then i think McDonald will bat at 6 and add 10 overs an innings of handy medium pace.

Whilst I am a victorian, and love seeing Victorians play. i DO NOT rate McDonald as a player at all. He has been brilliant this year, but watching him play for Australia, his batting doesn't seem up to scratch, and he bowl's as quick as Kumble! No good!

Young Willi Lad;322517 said:
For me it depends on which spinner they play.
If McGain plays then McDonald should bat at 6.
If Hauritz plays then North to bat at 6.
This is because if Hauritz plays, he is going to need some help in the spin bowling department. But as i think McGain will play then i think McDonald will bat at 6 and add 10 overs an innings of handy medium pace.

Good point, but couldn't one argue that Clarke and Katich can help Hauritz and McDonald should play anyway?

McDonald may not bowl quick but geez he bowled some very tight spells in his debut test match.

IMO if you are an allrounder you should be good enough to pretty much get in the side either as bowler or batsman first and the other skill should be a bonus especially in the Test format.

That's why I would select North ahead of McDonald.

Mousey;322542 said:
Good point, but couldn't one argue that Clarke and Katich can help Hauritz and McDonald should play anyway?

Yeh your right.
Katich in my opinion is a far better wicket taking option that Michael Clarke but Ponting doesn't seem to agree.
Sure Clarke is handy in the one day format but as a wicket taking option he wouldn't threaten to many batsmen.

namdarb;322582 said:
McDonald may not bowl quick but geez he bowled some very tight spells in his debut test match.

He also batted appaulingly, and looked scared. If he is going to be picked as an allrounder he needs both sides of his game on song.

BabyBlues;322492 said:
North. McDonald isn't a Test-standard player. Maybe North isn't either, but he's a better shot than Ronnie I reckon.
My thoughts exactly. May have a role to play in the shorter forms but really does not look like a test match player, as well as the fact that you really shouldn't be picking an all-rounder in test cricket just for the sake of picking one.
North has been around for ages now and might have thought his chances of ever playing for Australia were getting slimmer and slimmer, but at his best he would be good enough to get a gong.

I believe it should be North but the selectors will probably go with McDonald just so they can have an all-rounder in the side. With Australia's batting looky shaky against South Africa in the recent test series, North would shore up the middle order but with McDonals at six it doesn't look as sturdy in my opinion.

Ljp86;325570 said:
I believe it should be North but the selectors will probably go with McDonald just so they can have an all-rounder in the side. With Australia's batting looky shaky against South Africa in the recent test series, North would shore up the middle order but with McDonals at six it doesn't look as sturdy in my opinion.

agreed. he looks scared. north much better bat, and thats what we really lacked in the last series imo.
the bowlers are the best we have at this point in time, if they're not going to get wickets noone is..

I'd pick North out of those two because of his batting.

However, another one to look forward to in the future is Callum Ferguson. After his impressive one day efforts, I could see him batting at 6 for us in the test team. ;)

el-capitano;327378 said:
I'd pick North out of those two because of his batting.

However, another one to look forward to in the future is Callum Ferguson. After his impressive one day efforts, I could see him batting at 6 for us in the test team. ;)

Hm, I'm not too sure how he would go in the test arena.
What are his Shield scores from this year?

Back