Who takes the cheap wickets? Australia's bowling summary.

breeno

Who takes the cheap wickets? Australia's bowling summary.

Of our 5 main bowlers, I have done a bit of statistical work on who takes wickets of batsmen in the top 7, and who takes the tail end wickets.

To start, Nathan Hauritz:

26 of 41 wickets are top 7 batsmen, which is 63%.

Peter Siddle:

33 of 54 wickets are top 7 batsmen, which is 61%.

Mitchell Johnson:

97 of 137 wickets are top 7 batsmen, which is 71%

Doug Bollinger:

14 of 20 wickets are top 7 batsmen, which is 70%

Ben Hilfenhaus

28 of 34 wickets are top 7 batsmen, which is 82%.

_________________________________________-

Make of it what you will.

Re: Who takes the cheap wickets? Australia's bowling summary.

Interesting, but probably too small a data set to draw any meaningful conclusion from, given that 4 of the 5 bowlers have less than 60 career wickets. At a guess there would be roughly half a dozen top-order wickets separating Siddle's 61% from Johnson's 71%. I guess Hilfenhaus' figures would suggest that he is at his most dangerous with a swinging new ball.

What would be good, if you had the time, was to do the same thing for a few retired bowlers (Warne and McGrath would be a good start) to see how the new breed stacks up. If I was to have a guess, I would say McGrath's would be up around the mid 70's, while Warne may fall into the 65%-70% bracket, given the spinner's natural propensity for sucking in tail-enders, as well as being more likely to have the ball at the end of an innings.

a for effort;382586 said:
Interesting, but probably too small a data set to draw any meaningful conclusion from, given that 4 of the 5 bowlers have less than 60 career wickets. At a guess there would be roughly half a dozen top-order wickets separating Siddle's 61% from Johnson's 71%. I guess Hilfenhaus' figures would suggest that he is at his most dangerous with a swinging new ball.

What would be good, if you had the time, was to do the same thing for a few retired bowlers (Warne and McGrath would be a good start) to see how the new breed stacks up. If I was to have a guess, I would say McGrath's would be up around the mid 70's, while Warne may fall into the 65%-70% bracket, given the spinner's natural propensity for sucking in tail-enders, as well as being more likely to have the ball at the end of an innings.

I did one on Brett Lee to dispell the myth that he takes tail end wickets. His was very high with 233 of his 310 wickets being top 7 batsmen, 75% IIRC.

Due to being on holidays I might give it a shot after the new year, although the larger the data set the more time it takes (it took me an hour to do Lee's).

Just looked at some of my favourite players and came up with some high percentage takers of top order wickets.

Gillespie took at 75.4%

Clark 79.3%

Watson 79%

Bracken 83%

Symonds (just for fun) 83%

Hussey 50% (he has two wickets) :D

Just some names that came to my head.

I've only been taking stats from the Test arena tough...

breeno;382604 said:
Haha, now you tell me!
:D :D

Usually you can find almost anything across the different stats sites for international cricket, I actually wasnt sure if they would have it but lucky they did, I only usually use howstat for what position a batsman scores his runs in if they have batted a few different positions

Now if only there was some really good domestic ones

There is no such thing as cheap wickets these days IMO, just about everyone from 1-11 can hold a bat and stick around.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;382650 said:
There is no such thing as cheap wickets these days IMO, just about everyone from 1-11 can hold a bat and stick around.

Chris Martin would suggest otherwise :p

The Ox;382989 said:
I love the quotes on his wikipedia page

Martin Crowe, dubbed him 'the worst batsman ever to play the game' and 'the worst batsman in the history of cricket'.

There's more on his article about his batting than there is on his bowling. One of only two players to score less runs than wickets with 30 matches for qualification. Absolutely brilliant!

Back