Wimbledon

I love tennis, I've been to Wimbledon a few times, I like to watch the doubles matches when the older players take to the court, they are so entertaining and have the crowds eating out of their hands.🎾

I have always enjoyed watching tennis from the early days when Australians dominated the sport.
I went to Wimbledon back in the early 80s with a bunch of other Aussies. An enjoyable life experience even tho we were only watching from an outside court.

My fave players have all retired now but I still enjoy watching tennis.
Steffi Graf is my all time favourite, also like Martina Hingis, Conchita Martinez, a few other Spanish players that I can't spell 😄. The Williams sisters are great players too, Serena seems so powerful.

Jessica If you wanna watch pure tennis see if you can find some footage (YT) of the past greats like Laver, Hoad, Sedgeman, Rosewall, Margaret Court or Roy Emerson. Americans Kramer,Trabert, Gonzalez or Ashe.

Last edited:
Here's a piece of history that goes way back - between 1910 and 1913 Kiwi Anthony Wilding won 4 Wimbledon singles titles in a row, also won 4 Wimbledon Doubles titles... was a member of the Australasian team that won the Davis Cup in 1907, 1908, 1909 and 1914.
Tragically he was killed in action during World War 1 1915.

wilding-tony-image.jpg remembering-anthony-wilding-the-kiwi-who-became-tenniss-first-true-star-but-was-killed-at-war-...jpg
Anthony Wilding is considered the world's first tennis superstar.

Last edited:
My hero was "Bang, bang Boris" Becker. Liked him more than Steffi Graf whose almost invariable sliced backhand always looked old-fashioned to me no matter how successful she was. Enjoyed Becker's style of playing serve and volley as well as his body language and poses when he was being disappointed and under pressure. He used to whine and quarrel with himself and sometimes he would go to the privacy screen and cry into them. Very amusing. Spent countless Sunday afternoons watching him. Great moments and great tennis.
Have never been to Wimbledon, though, although it was on my bucket list. Too late now. I really envy you, Jessie and Richie, for your experience. Can't even watch tennis anymore because I'd have to subscribe to those Pay-TV channels which I find ridiculous. Maybe I'm too spoiled from the time when tennis was televised free of charge by our public TV stations.

Last edited:
I don't subscribe to any TV channels either, it's enough to pay for a TV licence so can't really afford to pay for Sky.
The atmosphere at Wimbledon was awesome Thomas, I'd love to go again but with things the way they are then it could be a while.🎾

My hero was "Bang, bang Boris" Becker. Liked him more than Steffi Graf whose almost invariable sliced backhand always looked old-fashioned to me no matter how successful she was. Enjoyed Becker's style of playing serve and volley as well as his body language and poses when he was being disappointed and under pressure. He used to whine and quarrel with himself and sometimes he would go to the privacy screen and cry into them. Very amusing. Spent countless Sunday afternoons watching him. Great moments and great tennis.
Have never been to Wimbledon, though, although it was on my bucket list. Too late now. I really envy you, Jessie and Richie, for your experience. Can't even watch tennis anymore because I'd have to subscribe to those Pay-TV channels which I find ridiculous. Maybe I'm too spoiled from the time when tennis was televised free of charge by our public TV stations.
Aussie still has free to air tennis. We are able to get our sporting fix of tennis, cricket, rugby, rugby league, and soccer (football) live and free due to our sensible anti-syphoning laws that stop pay per view channels dominating sports coverage. That also includes the Olympics. Pretty cool eh.

I spent hours in my youth watching the great duals between Laver, Rosewall, Hoad, Sedgeman and Emerson and later Newcombe, Roache, Court etc. I never missed a Davis Cup in those days either. It is fair to say I was a tennis tragic until the modern baseliners spoilt it as a spectacle for me.

Aussie still has free to air tennis. We are able to get our sporting fix of tennis, cricket, rugby, rugby league, and soccer (football) live and free due to our sensible anti-syphoning laws that stop pay per view channels dominating sports coverage. That also includes the Olympics. Pretty cool eh.

I spent hours in my youth watching the great duals between Laver, Rosewall, Hoad, Sedgeman and Emerson and later Newcombe, Roache, Court etc. I never missed a Davis Cup in those days either. It is fair to say I was a tennis tragic until the modern baseliners spoilt it as a spectacle for me.
Yes, that's a very sensible thing to have because that's exactly what's happening over here: Pay-TV channels buy the rights for major events to the detriment of public TV which can't and mustn't compete 'cos they would be spending too much of TV-licence payers' money who would then complain. They do buy some rights, though, but predominantly for soccer events.
There's one silver lining, if you like, and that's the Gerry Weber Open lawn tennis tournament which used to be held prior to Wimbledon as a preparatory event and which was televised live by public stations and in which the top players participated. My brother attended it once. Gerry Weber went tits up, though, and I don't know if it's gonna take place this year. But the full TV-coverage, the ambience reminded me very much of Wimbledon, asymptotically, of course.🤗
I also recall that we were using the names Laver and Newcombe in awe as teenage players in my tennis club although their names were mostly mentioned in the results list only and we rarely saw some scenes from their matches in poor black and white quality.
----------------
PS: I just saw that this post had been "edited by a moderator".🤔 What's that supposed to mean? Can anyone help?

Last edited:
I don't subscribe to any TV channels either, it's enough to pay for a TV licence so can't really afford to pay for Sky.
The atmosphere at Wimbledon was awesome Thomas, I'd love to go again but with things the way they are then it could be a while.🎾
Could you try and find some words that would describe what was so special about the atmosphere, Jessie?

Last edited:
Yes, that's a very sensible thing to have because that's exactly what's happening over here: Pay-TV channels buy the rights for major events to the detriment of public TV which can't and mustn't compete 'cos they would be spending too much of TV-licence payers' money who would then complain. They do buy some rights, though, but predominantly for soccer events.
There's one silver lining, if you like, and that's the Gerry Weber Open lawn tennis tournament which used to be held prior to Wimbledon as a preparatory event and which was televised live by public stations and in which the top players participated. My brother attended it once. Gerry Weber went tits up, though, and I don't know if it's gonna take place this year. But the full TV-coverage, the ambience reminded me very much of Wimbledon, asymptotically, of course.🤗
I also recall that we were using the names Laver and Newcombe in awe as teenage players in my tennis club although their names were mostly mentioned in the results list only and we rarely saw some scenes from their matches in poor black and white quality.
----------------
PS: I just saw that this post had been "edited by a moderator".🤔 What's that supposed to mean? Can anyone help?
I did not edit it. Edited how mate. PM Chief the owner for an explanation.
I am going to change this thread title to its correct spelling tho.

Australians that have won the most Wimbledon titles.
Rod Laver (61,62, 68, 69)
John Newcombe (67,70,71)
Lew Hoad (56,57)
Roy Emerson ( 64,65)

Only players to have won more than Laver are.. Borg (5), Joker (5), Sampras (7)and Federer (8). Was Borg a base liner?

I did not edit it. Edited how mate. PM Chief the owner for an explanation.
I am going to change this thread title to its correct spelling tho.
I didn't check it in detail. It just said so on the bottom right that it had been edited by a moderator. The chief won't reply anyway. Just remember my bumpy start. Let sleeping dogs lie. Thanks for replying, Richie.

Last edited:
I'd say yes, he was.
So it is he we have to blame for boring the game for me. All those Aussies I listed were outstanding serve and volleyers. They also all played for nothing.. not the onscene pay packets that today turn players into spoilt brats. This all started with the abnoxious John McEnroe.

Back