WP Cricket announce some changes

hattrick

WP Cricket announce some changes

The Western Province Cricket Association has made two significant appointments, with Nabeal Dien taking over as General Manager and former Test star Paul Adams slotting in as Head Coach of the Western Cape Cricket Academy.

This was in the news a couple of days ago and I wanted some time to ponder before posting something. For those a bit confused the Western Province Cricket (WPCA) administers cricket in Cape Town and in partnership with Boland cricket they form the Cape Cobras and in terms of development the Western Cape Cricket Academy.

My mood on the positions are very different. In Dien they have a serious administrator that needs to rebuild amateur cricket in the Cape. The youth and club cricket elements have had it tough in the last 5 years. Funding is difficult to get and personalities over rode certain key decisions. He will have a tough job as he needs to establish a system that will create talent that will lead to potential Cape Cobras. The big problem has been that the best Western Cape talent has been signed to other franchises and local players dont trust the development cycle.

The Academy coach is potentially one of the most important positions in Western Cape cricket as he nurtures talent from schools and clubs for a season (so 6 months) that has been identified as potential Cobras. I might be over critical but Paul Adams's appointment is a risk as he has little experience with regards to coaching. It is like giving a Ferrari to a learner driver and he can either crash it or show the necessary skill and drive the car. The one major positive is that he is a cricketer that is giving back to the game in a capacity that can help other cricketers. I hope he proves me wrong ....

Re: WP Cricket announce some changes

With regards to Adams, the big thing will be whether he is a coach or an administrator. If he is just left to coach then he should be ok, providing he has the right team around him. If he has to do more than just coach, that is where he might come unstuck.

Back