WRITE A STORY

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is bizarre Richard said to his shocked wife. What have we gotten ourselves in for buying this god forsaken home. I blame myself for not investigating initially if the home had a history. The chanting, the sprinkling of holy water and the glowing magic key all continued with greater intensity. Then suddenly...

Last edited:
Buster, Mrs Grier's dog, started howling in unison with the chanting.
Then, as suddenly, the chanting and howling stopped and a stream of many hues of light flowed from Jessica's glowing key to the picture of the Lady in White old Mrs Grier was holding aloft.
The picture glowed and from out of it flowed the ethereal visage of the ghost of The Lady in White, Alison Penhalligon. Smiling at old Mrs Grier, she signalled all to follow.

Terry and all else were dumbstruct momentarily except for Buster the generic dog, who barked at all to waken their wits, and then pounded after the drifting ghostly figure of Alison Penhalligon, through seldom used tracks to the NW back area of Richie and Jessica's land. Buster led the chase with Terry and Richard bashing through the undergrowth with nettles and brambles beneath old Oaks. Buster kept barking and deftly ducking through the undergrowth.
"Wait for me." cried old Mrs Grier.
Neither Terry nor his older brother-in-law Richie could keep up with Buster and the ghostly apparition

Last edited:
Franticly the four plus a yapping Buster followed the apparition into a copse of trees where it stopped and pointed to the ground. Suddenly Richard knew precisely why Alison had appeared to him, to show the Swansons where Daeved Penhalligon had buried his strangled wife all those years ago and why she was lost in that black void between life and death. Needing some digging gear, Richard raced back to the Swanson home and minutes later returned with a shovel and pick. It only took he and his brother in law a short time to find the skeletal remains of Alison Penhalligon. Immediately there was a howl and the apparition vanished.......

Last edited:
It all started to make sense now, the key, the picture, everything slotted into place just like a jigsaw puzzle.
Richard and Terry went into the house and returned with digging tools, Jessica had a sweeping brush and gardening gloves for everyone. The men started to dig, very gently as it was after all an unmarked grave. Buster was sniffing around and Mrs Grier was watching closely as the hole in the ground got bigger and deeper, then the spades hit upon wood, could it be the coffin with the orphan maids body inside.....

Sweating away digging the hole Terry panted "I thought this was where Daeved Penhalligon had buried the body of Alison his wife who he had murdered. I'm not sure but didn't he put the body of the also murdered orphan maid into the coffin made for his wife?
A DNA test could confirm it Perhaps?
This wood here is well rotted and just 3 planks, up they come.
Oh, it's a very decomposed body from over a hundred years ago.
Female from the remnants of clothing, and some jewelry.
I think it might be time to phone the police?"

Mrs Grier said "Poor Alison, she was my great Aunt which is why I have this picture of her. What a tragic way to die."

The smell from the decomposed body made Jessica wretch, she threw her hand over her mouth and nose and peered through her squinted eyes, Terry, she shouted to her brother, there's maggots on the corpse, Terry stepped back and Richard dropped his spade, the corpse was infested with maggots.

Mrs Grier went inside and put the kettle on, after we all washed our hands and had a hot sweet cup of tea each for the shock, it was decided that we should inform the police.....

Terry now please dont accuse me of being controlling but this is becoming confusing. Who then is in Alisons coffin if not the orphan maid? Terry correct me if wrong but a 100 year old corpse in a wooden box would not be still decomposing, it is a skeleton. The fate of Penhalligon is still unknown. Has he too been murdered and buried in the same plot?

"If the body is my great Aunt Alison's" said Mrs Grier "my DNA should match her's. Likewise, Old Jim behind you is a distant relative to the murdered maid. Another DNA match would confirm that. The key I gave you Alison will open the back gate to Jim's land."

Terry said "I'd still like to find where Daeved Penhalligon is buried and to see Alison buried in consecrated ground."

Shortly after an unmarked car drew up and out stepped two men in raincoats. The shorter one introduced himself as Detective Inspector Snow and the taller man as Detective Sergeant Dolan. They showed their badges and Snow said, "I hear you've dug up a body. Please explain how this came to be and show me the grave."
On seeing the old decayed corpse later Snow called in the Forensic team.

Terry now please dont accuse me of being controlling but this is becoming confusing. Who then is in Alisons coffin if not the orphan maid? Terry correct me if wrong but a 100 year old corpse in a wooden box would not be still decomposing, it is a skeleton. The fate of Penhalligon is still unknown. Has he too been murdered and buried in the same plot?
Terence here.
I agree the body would mainly be a skeleton Richie, and from earlier on you wrote the maid's body went into Alison's coffin and Alison was buried in a makeshift grave (here) after her husband killed her. Seems Alison's body was covered just by soil, planks and more soil.
The soil could have preserved some of the body and clothes, and certainly the skeleton would be intact.
Priest Terry would like to find Daevad P's grave to complete the ritual of setting Alison's spirit free. It'll be on record somewhere.

It's a tangled plot alright but I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Inspector I am Richard Swanson my wife Jessica and I own the property. This body was shown to us by an apparition that has been haunting our home. Now before you recommend I be certified, these people will verify that. Plus her vision has been captured on a video camera. We think, well are almost positive that this is the body of Alison Penhalligon the wife of the man who built our home early last century. If our theory is correct another person was buried in Alison's coffin. We believe it is that of an orphaned servant girl that came to work for the Penhalligons......

Last edited:
Jessica was pleased to see the police, all this was mentally exhausting and taking her away from starting her new catering business. She knew though that her husband and brother would help her once this was over, and Terry may decide to stay on with us and help with the catering, thought Jessica.

Jessicas mind came back to the present, officer, shouted Jessica, is it possible for you to request that we have a priest present, the officer agreed, so Jessica was pleased that at least with a priest they could say a few words of comfort to the deceased bodies, however many they may come across......

Terry reminded Jess quietly that even though he didn't have his own Parish, he was still an ordained Priest himself and would happily say a few words at any exhumation. 'Requiescet in pace'.🙏👼

Jessica felt embarrassed that she'd forgotten about her brother being a priest, she put it down to all the upset with the new house 😇
Officer cancel the priest please as my brother Terry will take on a small service, said Jessica.

Detective Inspector Snow aided by the best at his disposal got things running at a lightning pace. He was very kind and did not dismiss Richard and his wife Jessica Swanson's story of the tormented Ghost of Alison Penhalligon. He seemed open to ideas like ghosts and even allowed Terry, Jessica and Richard to accompany him at times where Terry led appropriate prayers at the exhumations of Alison and 'Mary' the murdered and orphaned maid.
"That key of yours dear sister Jessica, it has power and a gift to you. I feel it giving you a protective shield, and other powers beyond my sight. Guard it well.
Within a week Maid Mary's DNA matched her ancestor Jim Hodgkin's still living behind the old Penhalligon place. He even had his own key to that old three-way gate, never used. Another story.
Teams of Police Special forces soon unraveled the mystery of Alison Penhalligon's sad demise.

Three bodies were exhumed:
#Alison's on the Swanson's grounds ,
#Mary Hodgkin the Maid's in Alison's supposed polished Oak coffin with ornate brass handles.
# and Daeved Penhallion's from digitised old records. He was somehow buried with 40lbs of pure gold! In an old Graveyard in Southampton.
'Not my problem that money' said Snow, 'but old Mrs Grier here might have some claim to that? It'll be stored and here's chit I signed for you Mrs Grier, see that number on it, don't lose it.'

With DNA and forensic tests done on all corpses along with Mrs Grier and old Jim Hodgkin.
Buster the Jenaric hound was heard howling at times, even running back to Mrs Grier's, tail between his legs.

Unseen except for DI Snow, Fr Terry took some earth from Daeved's grave. The grave was quickly found by Snow's team. Daeved died on 1st April 1934 from a very painful Brain cancer.
His last days were spent screaming in a lunatic asylum.

Last edited:
Good finale Terry. Jessica told me she was fine for an end to the story. She said she had an enjoyable time and cant wait for the next one, which I may leave to one of you two to plot. Ideas?
A murder mystery in the vein of Agatha Christie perhaps.

Good finale Terry. Jessica told me she was fine for an end to the story. She said she had an enjoyable time and cant wait for the next one, which I may leave to one of you two to plot. Ideas?
A murder mystery in the vein of Agatha Christie perhaps.
Sounds good to me! 😃 I actually started to visualise what each character would look like, especially the ghost in her white dress!
I'll go along with whatever we choose, takes my mind off work and the state my country is in 😆

Yes the UK is in turmoil. Jess Is Rishi Sunak better than Boris.
I think Mrs Grier would be better than Boris! 😆

Seriously though I'm hoping Rishi will sort out the mess we're in. I wanted to book train journeys recently but with the train strikes I didn't bother. I'm still waiting for my energy rebate too, most people I know have had theirs 😡

I get a good feeling of competence about Rishi Sunak.
I hope he guides the UK well through these turbulent times.

Mrs Grier was offered the job but turned it down like Boris. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back