Balance drills

akkers

Balance drills

Are there any drills there that I can use with a youngster? He tends to be very unstable when batting and keeping and keeps almost falling over.

Re: Balance drills

There is some debate in youth development circles that you can improve balance. The argument goes that you learn it as a toddler and are stuck with it until it starts to deteriorate as you get older.

First thing to check is medical condition. Is he feeling dizzy? If so, it's time for the doctor.

Second thing is has he recently gone through a growth spurt? Teenagers can get VERY unstable as their legs and arms suddenly grow overnight.

If neither of the above is true I would look at technique next, specifically head position. Where is his head in the crouch and playing shots? Is it causing him to fall over? Can you adjust his position to one of better balance?

The final aspect I would examine is to strengthen the muscles that go into balance. Specifically this can be done through single leg work like single leg squats (sometimes called pistols), walking lunges and single leg straight leg deadlifts. These should be done with bodyweight alone 2-3 times a week (perhaps as part of a warm up as they double nicely as mobility drills too).

He is 13 at the moment. He has been fairly unbalanced from a young age. His main problem his that he tries to do much and gets his feet/knees in a tangle and his head goes all over the place.

Though micoach has given you some food for thought, the idea I suggested is worth a try. It will help to make him more aware of where his head is and hopefully to keep it still and in a position where the eyes are level.

Of course, if at 13 there are balance problems it may be a hard slog as he is outside what is thought to be the key skill (balance, co-ordination etc) acquisition phase of around 6-11. He should still be able to improve but it won't be as quickly as during those years (although as micoach says, there is some debate).

It would also be an idea to keep things simple with him, go back to the basics and assess his stance, grip etc. Look at what movements he is making (go from head to toe) and try to understand fully what is going on.

It may help to chalk the normal foot movements on the floor so he can see what should be happening (do this for one shot at a time) and get him working of a static ball or drop feed as it makes it easier to see where the foot/feet should be rather than having the ball coming towards you. Build it up from there.

Of course, if the guy is successful with his current technique then you need to think carefully about messing with it, but I'm guessing by your request for help that he is having problems. By assessing him fully first, you should be able to make a few adjustments which will have a big impact very quickly though.

I agree, I would alos look to single leg training to improve body awareness, you have to be balanced to to a one leg squat!

Back