bowling and fielding tactics?

roxy09

bowling and fielding tactics?

Smallish and quick outfield ground. Opposition need another 100 runs with 20 overs and 7 wickets remaining in the grand final... any good fielding and bowling tactics?

Re: bowling and fielding tactics?

roxy09;337721 said:
Smallish and quick outfield ground. Opposition need another 100 runs with 20 overs and 7 wickets remaining in the grand final... any good fielding and bowling tactics?

have an attacking offside field, and make sure the bowlers bowl offside, coz if they slip down leg, there will be runs.

You are going to have to do something special. First question is what are your spinners like? Also, what are the scores of the batters at the wicket.

My first thoughts would be to attack, as you really could do with wickets. Even if you defend a decent batting line up should be able to rotate the strike and pick up 4/5 per over.

Spinners could be an option, take the pace off the ball and make the batsman hit out or try to force the ball.

We had them at 3-38, but now are 3-118 45* and 35*

I am the spinner in the team, but i got smacked around last week,

Like they said, attack. As the spinner attack. Being too defensive will let them smack you and in 2 overs it's game over.

roxy09;338169 said:
We had them at 3-38, but now are 3-118 45* and 35*

I am the spinner in the team, but i got smacked around last week,

The advantage you have is that they have to get themselves in again and set. It's vital that you attack and try to get one out cheap, in the hope that one wicket will bring 2/3/4 etc.

As for you, how were you bowling? Flighted? Pushing it through flat? On the stumps or wide? etc

If I had the choice I would go with 2 spinners. Ideally one flatter and one tossing it up. Change lines and lengths, use unusual fields and keep the close catchers in.

Look closely at the batsman's techniques and attack them in the areas they like to hit the ball. Cut off their favourite shots and tie them down.

The odds are in their favour but 100 runs is still quite a lot in 20 overs, they will feel pressure if you can tie them down enough. If they go for the big hits set the field back and challenge them to clear the rope. If they do it, say well done!

micoach;338260 said:
If I had the choice I would go with 2 spinners. Ideally one flatter and one tossing it up. Change lines and lengths, use unusual fields and keep the close catchers in.

Look closely at the batsman's techniques and attack them in the areas they like to hit the ball. Cut off their favourite shots and tie them down.

The odds are in their favour but 100 runs is still quite a lot in 20 overs, they will feel pressure if you can tie them down enough. If they go for the big hits set the field back and challenge them to clear the rope. If they do it, say well done!

That's interesting - so you're saying put the ball in the places where they (The Bat) want it and feel they can best deal with it and then set the field accordingly to capitalise on any errors that you can force as a bowler?

It's not an uncommen tactic in club cricket. Whilst you do get the good players who can work the ball around, a lot resort to trying to smash it into the next field as they can't (or believe they can't) score any other way.

It's simply a case of setting the trap and waiting for them to try it once too often and mishit, top edge or have the ball coming off anywhere else but the middle. Of course you need men on the boundary and they need to be able to catch the high ones (not something that everyone fancies). The key is get the deep fielders to wander in off the ropes from time to time, giving the batsman the illusion that it's worth the risk. Push them back, bring them up but keep on trying to bait the batting side into going for it.

I've played with sides where the last 6 or 7 wickets have meekly folded to some very average (normally supported by a very canny spinner who only picks up 1 or 2 wickets for their troubles) spinners using this tactic. Sure, you go for a few but in most league wickets equals points so it's worth a go.

Yeah tactics like this are an aspect of the game that I'm really poor on and I leave that down to my captain, but it's interesting to hear this stuff as it gives me an insight into what he's up to and his rationale. Unfortunately as you've alluded to a ball that's hit 150' up into the sky is rarely going to be caught by some bloke who's got to go to work on Monday and use his hands to earn his living! So yeah those kind of balls rarely get caught in the matches I play in, but I like the idea and we do have one or two blokes that are up for it and do take those kinds of catches.

It would probably help to know whether you're playing on grass or mats, as well. Also the quality of the bats.

Either way, a lot comes down to the the quality of your bowlers, and your ability to keep it tight. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit - 100 off 20 overs, regardless of the quickness of the outfield and size of the ground still puts you well ahead.

I think a lot of people look at this situation and believe that you either have to a) WIN the game, or b) DEFEND the game, rather than being able to do both. Personally, for yourself I would be setting an in-out field - this isn't a situation where you hope they'll simply go for it and mess it up, it's a situation where you need to attack their instinct to go for it. An in-out field, done right, will restrict them to 3-4 runs an over - something that will inevitably force a risk well before it's necessary. This is an ideal time to be clever with your changes of pace, as well.

Fields for the pace bowlers aren't all that different in this situation. You still need to find a balance between attack and defense - I would still have men in the slips, but would not be afraid to drop point out into a sweeping position. Depending on the batsman, I wouldn't be afraid to crowd them in front of the wicket either - two midwickets/ covers, a short cover backed by an extra cover+cover point, etc. When chasing 100 off of 20 overs, batsman want to be able to score with normal shots - crowding them or giving them a sense that good shots aren't being rewarded is a fantastic way of forcing mistakes or giving them a false sense of their standing in the game. If you can bowl econmically, and restrict them in the first 10 overs, it can definitely add to an incorrect idea of where they stand in the game - something that can force them to take undue risks.

I also wouldn't be against purposefully NOT taking certain wickets. If a batsman is struggling and not turning over the scoreboard and is subsequently adding perceived pressure to the blokes up the other end - why send him back to the sheds and give somebody else a chance to have a dip??

Oh, and I would let them know that they need 100 runs of 20 overs. And I would keep letting them know that. Every dot ball, every leave.

Back