Bowling problem - video

akkers

Bowling problem - video

This young kid has problem pitching the ball up; he always bowls short and cannot get his line right.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wIDmAA7vmg"]YouTube - Bowling action[/ame]

Video has not been approved. Please bear with it for a while.

Re: Bowling problem - video

All is well until he takes his jump ;)

There is quite a lot that needs tweeking here but it might help if he actually looks where he wants to pitch the ball. At the moment, he might just as well be bowling blindfolded.

Get him to bowl with his head straight, not taking his eyes off the target.

When he can manage this, take another video and we'll see if it has made a difference in other areas.

Sorry the proper link to the video is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wIDmAA7vmg"]YouTube - Bowling action[/ame]

Obviously his head is dropping to the left. Also I am not too sure about landing. Should his both feet land before he goes into delivery?

Landing looks ok. Run up could be straighter, he looks a little all over the place in the approach, also, he needs to get the shoulders and hips a little more in line during the delivery phase.

There is a good basis to work from though.

Yeh he doesn't look too bad.

I'm not an expert buttttttttttt it looks as though...

He needs to over his shoulder, on the left hand side of his arm, not on the right side, considering that his back foot is pointing sideways.

Also I think his back foot is collapsing I dunno if it just looks bad because I saw it in slow mo but that might (maybe not) be why his head is falling away to the left.

They look ok, the front foot may be slightly closed on impact but not overly so. However, it seems that he is landing on the edge of a worn away bit of grass so that may explain it.

The biggest issue I have is that his lower body almost swerves towards the 'stumps' just before the jump. It looks very odd and he should ideally be coming straight, otherwise the body is out of line.

The bowling arm could be tighter to the body in the jump and right hip could be pushed through a bit more for pace.

I'd like to help but pace is not my strength.

I liked the video quality though, I can't get the slo-mo clear enough on mine. What are you using akkers and any tips?

fastbowler, I think he normally would follow through it's just that in the side-on video he didn't. In the front-on one he does.

Barney
You need a decent cam to start off with - preferebly a digital one. Then you need to set it in sports mode or Speed priority mode. This means that the cam will capture more steady frames.

I used to get good results from a mini-DV digital cam but I now have a HD cam which has shutter/spee priority mode. I used this to get solid frames.

Thanks Akkers. I have a digital mini DV cam and won't be upgrading for a while. But i semi suspected that i needed to make better use of the Sports mode rather than the automatic set up i've been using. Will play around and see if i can get clearer slo mo that way.

Hi,

I saw your video. You have a pretty good action, basically side on, your right foot is landing parallel to the crease. You have to get your non- bowling arm, ie, your left arm, as high as possible. If you are not able to hit the right length, its because
a) you are releasing the ball a tad too late. You should release the ball at the highest point.

b) bring your bowling arm close to your ears, it should brush your ears.

c) at the point of delivery you are looking away from the wicket, you should look at the wicket, look at where you are bowling.

These are few things I found in your action, which restricts you from bowling good line an length.

Back