Coaching swing

akkers

Coaching swing

Are there any methods to coach swing bowling to youngsters? I mean to break it own to individual coaching points and take it a step at a time.

The hardest part is the movement of the wrist. How do you teach this and get the kids to practice?

Re: Coaching swing

Break it down.

Get them to look at the grip first. Then let them have a go, just bowling/throwing between pairs. Explain about the smooth/rough side but keep it simple (depending on age).

Then move on to talk about the wrist - but don't go too heavy on it, at an early age the grip is more important. You can illustrate the part the wrist plays by talking about the seam being upright and not wobbling all over the place.

If you want to focus on the wrist then get them to simply simply throw the ball by getting them to snap the wrist, making sure that the the finger tips are the last thing to touch the ball.

That's all there is to it really, the bowling action should have already been covered so the key thing is the grip. If it's an older group being coached you can get more technical, talking about using the crease or subtle changes in action/grip etc.

scott,

During net practice i want the bowlers to practice line and length which practice is ideal and which stump- off stump or middle stump?

Virender

Ideally, you want to be hitting the top of off stump. I tend to find placing a small target, on top of this stump is a great guide.

If they can consistently hit this, then they'll take a lot wickets.

Thanks for the advice,Scott.

I will be trying the same with my bowlers and will bat to protect that off stump.

I will try to shoot couple of videos as well.

Virender

Look foward to them.

Of course, you could set different stumps for different practices, would help to improve their control.

Unfortuantely i dont think you can coach it, its just a natural thing due to a bowlers action

Ive been trying since august to get this bowler to move the ball in the air, if he did he would be a real handful in 1st 11, but he cant move it a bit, so hes got enough pace, but is easy to face due to the ball not moving a inch

good_shot_4_runs;312448 said:
Unfortuantely i dont think you can coach it, its just a natural thing due to a bowlers action

I agree with you to some extent but I also feel that there are things you can do to maximise the bowlers chance of getting it to swing.

Yeah but if there is a kid who cant swing it, even with the seam, wrist ,shoulder in the right places, im not saying give up but should be teaching them other variatons, eg slower ball, off/leg cutters etc, where as the ones who can swing it really get them to practise moving it there stock way eg outswinger/ inswinger, then have them develop a varition, wether that goes straight on, swings the other way, moves off the deck

Most people should be able to swing it, have you tried varying where the seam is pointing when he bowls? Move it so it's pointing at 2nd slip instead of first or have it more at the keeper etc. Also try with the thumb on the seam or if that has no effect with the thumb to the side of the seam.

Little things like that can have a big effect.

Again, I do agree with you and yes, it is important to have variation such as a cutter or slower ball but it's still worth giving the out swinger a go from time to time. So many factors can influence it that things can and do change, it may be that one day it clicks and and on others nothing at all.

The way i learned was hold the ball in position for a swing delivery, and throw the ball into a fence, keeping the wrist straight. now, i can swing the ball both ways, + reverse.

simple but effective

Back