Darwin & District Cricket - 2012

Gidday Barry, probably correct re Tahs, I don't think they have too many other options though do they? Best option would either be merge with Darwin or maybe re-locate to Palmerston or at least their junior base which is feasible and possible.

Back to Aldam, certainly helped the Crocs when no one else would and they played very good cricket. Tahs were battling and won them a flag and as a life member of the Tigers I know he has been back there a few years and on the committee doing a good job as he always said he would. I know a couple of the players at the club and on their committee, and are all rapt with his guidance and horse tips as well apparently. Fellas like him, King, Truemer and the younger one's like Ash Williams, Berry, Lavers and you can name others help this comp a lot.

Should be an interesting year all round I think!

well King cant captian for sidelines! he is only coach i just bumped into IAN yes Ian Redpath! would expect him to walk straight into the position if he plays!But theres no one else down there even capeable of doing it! or is there??? but King isnt doing it! Reagan for palmo maybe a thought???

So he is back from Bendigo? There was a rumour he was going to play last season that never eventuated, he'll be needed out there though.

Totally correct Barry, a new club or a club from inner Darwin to re-locate is badly required. I can't believe NT Cricket haven't been more proactive in promoting this and working on this, as leaving it too late if they aren't careful.

Hey 'I Am Legend', to answer a few of your questions. I have moved back down south and still involved with cricket at a district club.

Firstly Pints are situated where they are and good luck to them for this. You cannot blame them for where they are situated and if anything NT Cricket set the game plan with this.

NT Cricket did put 'feelers' out for a club to relocate and also to see if anyone was interested in developing a new club from scratch at Palmerston. In a small population base this is not an easy task and people don't want to do this. Only way I can see it happening is an established club relocate or possibly a junior based club starts, probably In2cricket and under 11's and go from there' over the next 5-6 years.

In regards to GA, I was at Tahs that year and played a handful of Sunday games before heading back to the big smoke. That bloke made us lower grade players feel far more welcome than any club I had been at and I am a hack, he spoke sense and knows his cricket inside out. Kym Lawrence that year did a good job getting Brett Gardiner and the committee had a good contact with NSW cricket hence Casson came along. If you can't say respectful things about people don't say anything and pot people. Certainly talk about the game and clubs but personal trashing is pathetic and childlish.

Let's talk about the clubs.........Anyway enough of that, I hear Darwin have picked up another couple of players last few days, anyone heard about this?

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree as he is a very hands on coach and one of the best communicators of cricket going around as far as I am concerned. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, also remember he spent 5 years assisting in Alice Springs and Westies won 4 flags in five years after not being in a final for 20 years before that, his record is top notch I Am Legend. Leave it at that and let's move on............

Interesting about Darwin, sound like they will go ok, I like Palmo and Pints at this stage. Obviously Tahs have plenty coming making them competitive and tipping the Tigers under their coaching structure to improve and to grab a late recruit to help Calkin out. TV I worry about with no coach and Kingy will do his best at the Crocs.

No worries!

"Good chat" Legend?

From all reports, Greg Aldam offers a free service for Nightcliff and I don't know the situation with the other clubs he has assisted coaching wise whether he has received payment or not but I assuming Waratah and Districts would have given him something. I've only experienced his coaching briefly as junior during spin clinics where Scott Moody, Ronnie Andrews and Shaun Williams were also involved, which was neither here nor there on a coaching scale.

Apparently Nightcliff are talking to a Pakistani former first class player who bowls leg spin Fawad Ahmed that played sub-district this season in Melbourne in the VTCA league, while he bowls okay I'd consult a couple of people first if I were them before forking out the cash he is after.

Waratah's recruitment list so far stands as Burt Cockley (quick bowler, Randwick Petersham, NSW), Richard Faust (batting allrounder, Northern Districts, NZ also played Dandenong District Cricket in VIC), Steve Taylor ( batting allrounder, Northecote, VIC) and Madura Weerasinghe (bowling allrounder, from Sri Lanka, brother of Udara Weerasinghe and played at Dalyellup, Bunbury WA). There should be at least another couple of Kiwi's and WA player to add to that.

Can confirm that we (Darwin) have Ash Doolan back as a player coach and Sam Brandon (Caloundra, QLD & was on Fox Cricket Superstars).

never knew that having perosnalized coaching can change a guy ability..... you have to have cattle on the track to make any team and I am not sure from what i hear that Nightcliff even have anyone who is a A grade cricketer in darwin

Wow, what a well informed, intelligent, broad minded blog!!!!

Problems generally can always be traced to the top decision makers in any organisation! ...going well beyond the current figure head whose wife tells him what colour sock to wear! and couldn’t make a decision in a single choice, multiple choice questionnaire!

Sport is political at all levels, and to coin a phrase from K-rudd, it’s the faceless men behind the scenes that are responsible for pulling the strings, in this case (inclusive of your precious DDCC, a village, borderline back yard competition played by beer swilling hicks, who thinks cricket is about how many beers an billies you can pull after the game!) its the NTC board, yes there is a board higer than a helium balloon and beyond sight. It does consist of more than just the Phantom Dr. The ghost who walks and pulls the strings, like a child bouncing an inflated balloon purely for kudos and personal gain, his passion and worth to cricket has well and truly expired.

It’s time the NT cricket community steps up and replaces these faceless men and woman that is the Board of cricket in the NT, and the sport becomes progressive again. What’s wrong with cricket you ask, examples are; the declining participant numbers across the board, women’s cricket failing in Darwin, no more international cricket (ever!), managements terrible relationships with key stakeholders (NTG, CA and any who has had the pleasure of working with NTC), massive turnover of NTC staff under current leadership, management of imports in DDCC comp, Marrara facility that should have been at Gardens, management of TIO nets and the inequity in facility development in Darwin and Alice springs, current staff knowledge and territory experience (lucky to be 10 years between them, with one staff member answering directly to CA)... the list goes on!

The revolution starts now! ...it’s time for a second opinion, give the phantom Dr and his disciples the boot, time for some new heads and fresh ideas! ...otherwise don’t complain about the consequences the death of cricket in the NT.

The future looks like this; Darwin becomes a training facility for anyone who will pay, there is a place for local cricketers as net bowlers for visiting teams, alice comp will fail (the ASCC pres is also the NTC board pres) and no one will want to live in Alice in 5 yrs anyway.

It won’t be easy as NTC are run by white collar pollies, Alice in Wonderland included, it will require a revolt and more than the two people (outside of NTC staff) to attend the AGM, the choice is yours.

Tom Moffat is back in town, apparently bringing Josh Dolman and Tom Brinsley back with him to go and play out at Southern Districts along with Ken Skewes.

Its quite a laugh to watch everyone scrambling for the scraps from Ramsays table. Want to slag him on a forum, quit riding the fence, man up and slag him to his face. And no I'm certaintly not a fan.

Too much cricket this year. Probably suit blokes with not much else on their plates or desperate to break 400 runs for a season.

All teams appear to be pretty strong at this stage but you'd never know with all the NT News coverage. One day we'll beat out wog ball, netball and darts and get a write up from blokes that never played the game.

A tiger boy through and through. Have palmo named their skipper yet? Surely they can't hand the keys to Bleakley yet - Bring back big bad terry bailey! Those cachopra blokes get shorter, fatter and uglier the more that come up here - can bat unfortunately. King playing coach this year? Did I read somewhere that skewes was coming back up...
Serious question how long do you reckon you have to be in Darwin/seasons played before you shed the import tag?

Udara Weerasinghe is definitely captain coach of Palmerston. Heard some rumblings that all is not well with the playing group out there again.

Tom Moffat is up here for work apparently, don't know about Skewes to be honest.

Richard Faust isn't playing for Tahs now and is going to the UK.

By the third season the import tag can probably be shed, though must people disregard it by their second. Depends namely on if they stay up here the off season.

Grey Morris is doing the ring around, should be a write up in this weekends paper or maybe late next week.

three and half days extra is too much cricket, you're on the biscuits aren't ya? i suppose you're a pint supporter as well, backing ol dangle berries, wins the ralph wiese on three t20's performances when half the comp didn't play.

when are the other clubs going to name their captains? i'll give ol bag of chips one thing, looks likely to be the only player in the comp to be a genuine skipper from darwin unless i'm mistaken about old gibby gibson where'd he pop his head up from? suppose like everyone is starting to realize, shit from down south is so much better than up here, the beagles just haven't clicked on to it yet. can't wait to see who the lyons pick to lead, is it going to be timmy paine via email until he gets here or sheep shagger 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7?

Gibson is not from NT I never played against him in jnr cricket. Also never played for the NT... though this was prob less about where he lived.......

Darwin's captain is a local player. It is more to do with everything with cricket club, who licks the presidents ass to who is captain. Unless there is a clear person or the president is not a complete moron.....

Udara Weerasinghe is definitely captain coach of Palmerston. Heard some rumblings that all is not well with the playing group out there again.

Tom Moffat is up here for work apparently, don't know about Skewes to be honest.

Richard Faust isn't playing for Tahs now and is going to the UK.

By the third season the import tag can probably be shed, though must people disregard it by their second. Depends namely on if they stay up here the off season.

Grey Morris is doing the ring around, should be a write up in this weekends paper or maybe late next week.

When can we expect your write up chips? Graham Manou coming back too is the whisper

For your gossip lads..........The Crocodiles have picked up a couple of lads. One from Tassie who is here already and another lad Matty Stopp I Think? Keeper that was here a couple of years ago, apparently Moffatt will come back for 6 weeks or so to have a hit later on and still talking with another fella who could be here for at least half the year, so they will be ok.

Haven't had any real time to put into this, just a the top four from last season so far and should have the bottom three done later this week. Probably missed a few things, feel free to point out and I'll edit them in.

Palmerston
Captain/Coach - Udara Weerasinghe
In: No confirmation but three NZers and two Victorians.
Out: Luke Doran, Alex Kemp, Kieran Toner (UK), Shane Chatto, Todd McCann (Retired)
Injured: Matt Hanna
Finished Last Year: Minor and Major Premiers, 4th Casuarina Cup
After a poor start to the limited overs matches, the Power were almost unstoppable come the two day format with three outrights in a row and four altogether. They were led well by Chatto but without him, there maybe a few difficulties. With rumours already floating around there is unrest in the camp regarding the leadership. Their bowling attack virtually gone from last season and the change in format means that a poor limited overs series could prove costly. Chatto may make an appearance mid-season along with some cameos from Williams and Short but it will be extremely tough for them to replicate last season. Bleakley, Weerasinghe and Carbone will have to step up each week for them to be any chance of making the finals in any of the formats.
Players to watch: Carbone, Bleakley
Prediction: T20: 1st OD: 2-3rd Two Day: 3-4th

Waratah
Captain: Brett Gardiner Coach: Rob Elliot
In: Steve Taylor (Northcote, VIC), Burt Cockley (Randwick Petersham, NSW) , Madura Weerasinghe (Sri Lanka), others TBC.
Out: Stephen Reid, Jonathon Wells, Trent Ovens, Richard Lane, Brad Schmulian, Ryan Green (retired), Kym Lawrence (retired), David Kidner, Michael Hill
Finished Last Year: Runners Up and 6th Casuarina Cup.
Waratah will be an unknown quantity as usual this season, having to heavily recruit with several players stepping down from A grade could mean that Tahs at some stage this season may field no Darwin players (two or more seasons). Gardiner will be looking to make amends for a quiet season last year and will have his work cut out in getting the group to gel. Making the most out of Cockley while he is here could see them strong finals contenders but could finish anywhere from premiers to spoon.
Players to watch: Gardiner, Taylor
Prediction: T20: 3-4th OD: 5-7th Two Day: 1-2nd

Tracy Village
Captain: Simon Keen Coach: Darren Treumer
In: Simon Keen (Carlton, VIC), Tim Paine and other imports TBC
Out: Stuart Johnstone (retired), Shane McDermott (year off), Craigh Cachopa, Ben Cooper, Sean Solia, Jason McKay, Chris Hartley (PINT), Jeremy Smith,
Finished Last Year: Knocked out in semi-final & 3rd Casuarina Cup
Speculation over what Tracy Village will give this year in terms of quality and if anything will be home grown talent. Vowles is rumoured to be taking the gloves, while Crowe and Lycett aren’t expected to play many games. With no upper to middle order and their bowling will be light on, it’ll be anyone’s guess to see where they go. Without Darren Treumer putting on the whites and leading the side can’t see them finishing any better than last season.
Players to watch: Vowles,
Prediction: T20: 2nd OD: 3-4TH Two Day: 3-4th

PINT
Captain: Nick Berry (TBC) Coach: TBC (John Robins?)
In: Christ Hartley (TV), Grant Bell (Southern Districts), Graham Manou (rumoured), Mark Cosgrove (rumoured),
Out: Phil Adams, Cullen Bailey, Martin Brown,
Finished Last Year: Knocked out in semi-final & Runners Up Casuarina Cup
PINT recruited well in picking up Bell from Districts and may have a couple of very good first class players for a brief period which make their batting hard to beat. They may lose Hodgson and Mitchell for a couple weeks mid-year, otherwise they should be a good all-round team again with young spinner Joel Logan looking for higher honours.
Players to watch: Logan, Bell
Prediction: T20: 5th OD: 3-4TH Two Day: 1-2nd

Good call 'Ohmygodthechips''. I think Pints look really solid, Palmo if they can pull everyone together will be there. Waratahs if it all falls into place could be very good, however easier said than done to bring a group of strangers together. Tracy have lost plenty of experience, no doubt they will desperately recruit but can't see them winning it? I am hearing Darwin are quietly confident and have a nucleus of local lads, the Crocs and Tigers may find things pretty tough this year.

Back