Field setting

akkers

Field setting

I have a youngster who is setting out to be captain. He is keen to learn on how to set the field and how to vary it. Unfortunately I have no experience of that so cant help him.

Is there any help out there or any textbooks etc.

Re: Field setting

I would've thought just speaking to the more experienced captains and learning through experience would be the way to do it. I don't think it's the kind of thing you can learn with a textbook.

I'd say JB is right in that I suppose you can't learn all the tricks with a book. There's no harm having a resource that can teach you the basics like the names of the fielding positions and what certain positions are used for. The picture of the field placings in the wikipedia article linked above was hugely useful for me learning the proper names for the positions.

David also had an interesting idea on his site, about ways to start breaking players in as potential captains. As well as a good few posts about field-placing theory:
http://www.pitchvision.com/setting-the-field-–-theory-and-practice
http://www.pitchvision.com/category/captaincy

Get a good reference book and swot up on different positions. Some will seem more attacking than others, some will be defensive and it'll be clear from how they look.

When out in the field, encoruage him to ask questions, to move people and basically learn from his mistakes and successes. If you have older captains in the team then get them to help out/talk to the lad, it will all help.

Get him playing in friendlies as vice captain where he can offer his input without it costing too much, the best way to learn in this instance is by doing.

Having him talk to older and more experienced captains is the best way. Get him to watch some good quality cricket and see if he can spot what the captain is doing and why.

Might be worth reading the Mike Brealy book as well - the art of captaincy.

my dad (rip) made me up some sheets with basic fields on, like for pace,spin, defensive and attacking

maybe you or someone on here cud do that? i found it really helpful and it made things a little easier

i agree with the bloke with the weird name and the 79 after it. u right out peices of paper for your different bowlers on what they bowl whether it's swing or movement off the pitch whatever. I'm a seam bowler and i just bowl for mis timed shots mainly on the offside. You cant set fields on your own it's a team game so work it out with your bowler they know what they bowl ask the keeper they are always seeing what the ball is doing

Back