Power blast

phil2oo8

Power blast

hi, i remember reading somewhere on here ( i think in ian pont section) that fast bowlers in the pro-side of things have a "blast" at the end of the action which gives them the extra pace. but i've been going through video after video and i can't see what they mean by blast, the best example of what i though blast meant was by matty hoogard or gough but neither are extremley pacey. So what does it mean and how can we fuse it intp our actions

thnks phil

Re: last blast

Power blast is cause by bringing the back side of the hip toward the front knee - powering you off your feet. It is not evident from the conventional TV view.

Re: last blast

This is a starting point, taken from a piece on Ian Pont at cricinfo:

But the lure of the speed-gun still intrigues. A friend of a friend once faced Paul Collingwood and conceded he didn't see a thing, which begs the question, just how much of a trundler am I really? So up I lolloped for six sighter deliveries, most of which passed pleasingly close to the top of off stump, if a touch sluggishly.

"Do you know what your fundamental problem is?" asked Pont, as he called us over to run through the issues he had noted. "You're doing what is known in the trade as 'bowling round your arse'."

At least I wasn't bowling a pile of arse, I figured, but on inspection, he was entirely accurate. Pont instructed me to drop the cricket ball and walk through the final stages of my action. Up I stepped to the crease, stretching into my delivery stride, whereupon I realised that my left hip was stuck facing the batsman, and my body weight was being forced to pivot uncomfortably at the base of my back.

"Power derives from the hips," explained Pont, making as if to push over a wall. His logic was flawless and devastatingly simple - and it explained why, when I'd tried to crank the pace up as a 17-year-old, I had suffered an agonising back strain that wrote me off for the best part of the season. I've been wary of bending my back ever since, but now, with my hips facing straight down the pitch, all I was doing was a high-speed bow - and with a modicum of flexibility there's no danger in that.

The late blast (at least in my mind) is the act of bringing the right side hip (if you're right handed) in line with the left side. It acts as a whip almost to help you get pace.

Back