Starting cricket at the 25.........but i dont believe in impossiblities.

Starting cricket at the 25.........but i dont believe in impossiblities.

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here.First a wanna congratulate people for taking such an initiative.

I m a 25 yr old guy, having height 183 cms, weight 79 kg.I used to play regular sports in my college days but for the last year so i have been completely cut off.Let me come to the point.It might sound a bit wierd for most of u here.......but dreams are dreams.And my only dream in life is to bowl 145 kmph.U people might b thinking that by my age players usually quit playing professionally and i m planning to start at 25. I have never played competative cricket till now.

Plz guide me a bit as there are lots of experts here.Is it possible to start cricket that late and achieving a target like 145 kmph.The only advantage with which i m starting is my will power.Rest its all on u people.

I m an advocate by profession and will find out 4 hrs a day for training and practise plus weekends for matches.Plz friends help me out.

I will be very grateful to u all.

Re: Starting cricket at the 25.........but i dont believe in impossiblities.

hello manee,

Ya i told u that i have not played professional cricket but ya i have played at college level but without professional coaching and training.At presnt my speed will not b more than 115 kmph.As i have been completely out of sports for almost an year now and i m quiet unfit.

I started today itself..........today i ran 5 kms in 30 mins.

I recommend buying [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Bowlers-Bible-Ian-Pont/dp/1861268513/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213360406&sr=8-1]The Fast Bowler's Bible[/ame]. This should help you biomechanically - if you wish more specific advice (ie. tailored for you) then get personalised video analysis (although it does cost some money), [ame=http://www.maverickscricket.com/coaching.htm#clip]here[/ame]. Having done it myself, I do recommend it to you as it is very helpful...

Harrowdrive's section on Cricket Fitness would be very useful for someone as determined as you. Specifically this is useful from a fitness point of view.

I believe that the target of 145kph is a slightly unrealistic one. It would likely be more efficient to set yourself smaller targets over a specific small time frame. E.g. To bowl 130kph in six months. By the way, have you ever been timed, or are you guessing your speed - people tend to overestimate their speeds as a general rule.

manee,

Thanx for interest in my post.

Can u plz tell me the procedure and cost (in indian currency i.e. ruppee) to get fast bowler bible.Also tell me the cost of getting video analysis.Initially i prefer taking the book only if its not much costly.

Hey bro i dont want to be superman and bowl 145 kmph in a month or so.I have set a time limit of almost three years.Even i was planning to tkae it step by step and for the first year my target is 130 kmph.

nothing_is_impossible said:
Can u plz tell me the procedure and cost (in indian currency i.e. ruppee) to get fast bowler bible.Also tell me the cost of getting video analysis.Initially i prefer taking the book only if its not much costly.

Don't know at all about the procedure, but the costs are:
- Fast Bowlers Bible: 1,284.406 rupees
- Video Analysis: 4,895.377 rupees

I am also trying to reach new speed levels, to go professional, all i can say is work on core and other aspect to avoid injuries. you'll want to look at this http://www.harrowdrive.com/how-to-protect-your-shoulder-from-cricket-injury/ , and you will also want to look at http://www.harrowdrive.com/10-essential-cricket-strength-and-power-exercises/ and finally this http://www.harrowdrive.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/harrowdrive_turbulence_training_4-week_bww.pdf .
Also you will want to get a good action , so you dont practise the wrong action and then have to change it or become injured.

nothing_is_impossible - welcome to the board, I hope you find it useful in your quest!

I would say that you need to plan your regime carefully in order to be able to attain your goals.

1. Realistic Targets - you say you want to increase your pace by 45kph over 3 years. I would wager that you'll see the biggest increase in the first year, with a decline in years 2 and 3. Set yourself a target of something like a 20kph increase in year 1, 15kph in year 2 and 10kph in year 3. Of course these figures aren't set in stone and are for you to decide.

2. Fitness - you'll need to be fit for pace bowling. That means training for short, explosive bursts as well as the stamina to do so. A general level of fitness will help, but you'd be best to tailor it to cricket. You'll also need to work on your core strength and flexibility and movement (there is plenty of info in the links already provided).

3. Technique - this is very important, not least in minimising the risk for injury. Make sure your technique is sound and that it is optimised for pace. You may not be that bio-mechanically correct but at least try to understand what makes a good bowling action, as it'll help you to understand your own and what you're doing.

4. Practice - treat every practice seriously, no messing around or half measures. Try to introduce scenarios that replicate games and build pressure. Train at 85% intensity plus.

5. Enjoy it - without enjoyment, then your not going to get very fair. Remember that bad days will happen, as well as good and try to take something from each, no matter what. If you can walk off the pitch with a smile on your face and knowing that you gave 110%, then you've done as much as you can.

Welcome! some good points made by Mas there!

enjoy the board!

if you dont know and cant find it ask!

I think you'll have to buy it over the internet. You can buy it [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1861268513?&camp=2486&creative=10522&linkCode=waf&tag=simplycricket-21]here[/ame]. I'm not sure of the shipping charges.

You can order the Fast Bowler's Bible from here (Mavericks Cricket) for 1416.6 rupee including shipping to India.

Scroll a little down the page and you'll see the option to ship to the 'Rest of World' and the paypal button next to it. Click that and away you go.

Please don't forget guys - I do group work with clubs and also coach small groups anywhere. I can work with up to 4 bowlers (thus splitting the cost) at the same time in a 2-hour session - or bigger groups over 3 hours.

I wanted to say this as just because I work at International level doesn't mean I don't work with up-and-coming players, too. ::)

I was in Holland a month ago with a club (all day in 2 half days sessions) and up in Aberdeen earlier in the year. I'm off the the USA for a week's workshops on the same basis.

It is viable and worthwhile if you can get a group of like-minded guys (or gals) together, and you cannot afford one-to-one yourself. Ask Paula in my office at info@maverickscricket.com for details.

Hi Randeep,
Good to have advocate on board.
Which part of india u play?

Please read the post by MAS Cambios very carefully.Very useful tips.
Secondly;do order the book from mavericks cricket.It will be very helpful.
Best of luck and post a video of ur bowling.

Ponty said:
Please don't forget guys - I do group work with clubs and also coach small groups anywhere. I can work with up to 4 bowlers (thus splitting the cost) at the same time in a 2-hour session - or bigger groups over 3 hours.

I wanted to say this as just because I work at International level doesn't mean I don't work with up-and-coming players, too. ::)

I was in Holland a month ago with a club (all day in 2 half days sessions) and up in Aberdeen earlier in the year. I'm off the the USA for a week's workshops on the same basis.

It is viable and worthwhile if you can get a group of like-minded guys (or gals) together, and you cannot afford one-to-one yourself. Ask Paula in my office at info@maverickscricket.com for details.

Coming to Australia? :D

Back