TALL TALES

Walt told Eddie he was so glad Millie had found love. He also thanked his good friend for the extra troops and weapons, but above all that he was back to defend their homes they had worked so hard to build. Both knew it was only a matter of time before a larger contingent of Redcoats would march onto their property once again and that this time they would be more prepared and greater armed '' to put down those pesky rebels''. The five landholders had devised a strategy that if one was unable to hold off the Redcoats they were to flee to the adjoining property with their remaining man power, arms and specially ammunition to boost its defense. If the other four fell before Lowell Plantation then everything that could be salvaged was to to be transferred to it as the last bastion against the British and which already had 100 Southern militia and French troops, plus 15 cannon, 35 mortar and sufficient ammunition to hold out a siege for at least 10 days...

Last edited:
The four Captains, three regular French and Captain George of the American Militia numbered 600 if at full strength. There had been casualties at the Neck.
Captain George's militia numbers, and the manors' had been bolstered by the 'Volunteers' mixed in all roles.

French Captain Ulysse spoke to Mr Lowell:
"I know they know the heart of our resistance is here at Lowell Manor mon amie Monsieur Lowell so I wish me and my weary company stay here with you, to defend yours and Eddie's manors. Your people love you and you have many Volunteers, Negros too obviously of their own volition. I will stand by you with your Captain George. My two comrade Captains Edouard and Leon with a Company each will help defend your neighbours' manors, small towns, roads, villages, whatever and your advice and stratagem are most welcome. They and I will adhere to it."

Last edited:
Corporals Bonaparte and Milli along with her Simon and 3 other Militia horsemen, and ten French Cavaliers rode fast around the local surrounds, villages, towns, ... and to alert all that the British were coming. They chased off some 5 English Calvary with their numbers firing a volley of pistols at them. A horse got hit in its rump, slowed down and the rider was captured and questioned ineptly in broken English by Cpr. Bonaparte.
Milli was more concerned about tending to the horse's wound.

Bonaparte ascertained from the captured Redcoat Sergeant that Charles Town was surely about to surrender with such superior numbers and force against them. All the American ships and warships had been destroyed or captured. Three huge British ships of the line were constantly bombarding Charlestown with huge long range cannons as were the British cannons just north on the Peninsula, now in control of the Neck.
"You might as well surrender now you silly little french frog" spat the Englisher.
Bonaparte pistol whipped him breaking teeth and lip at that insult and had him hog tied naked to his wounded horse. He and also Milli interrogated him then as to how these approaching Redcoats would be coming.

Milli's feather trick did the job to howls of laughter.
Bonaparte handed Milli the musket grease with good brandy poured on it.

There was at least four Redcoat companies coming north into South Carolina. Each Company had four platoons of 35 men and cavarly each. With auxiliaries 150 per company and two Companies were headed towards Lowell Manor. Three hundred men, 80 on horse. The other two companies were to subdue the other manors, small towns, villages, ... and to establish bases... , ouch, .. like Lowell manor.

Milli shouted"Back to Lowell manor all. Simon, you and your brother Hugo, ride back to Lowell manor full speed with the news. We bring the Ass on his Horse"

Last edited:
Back