The Lounge 2

Yes, for evidence for a crash Thomas. Basically mostly that. Worst case would be a recording of a drunk or other stepping out in front on you. Also, I think, recording the actions of a crazed driver...
We too sadly have our fair share of those miscreants.

A reverse camera is useful. You miss it badly when driving a car that hasn't got it. In my present car it's linked to a rear cross-traffic alert system that stops the car automatically if someone is approaching from the side whom you didn't see. Much as I like most of those assistance systems, I sometimes feel patronised by them, e.g., when the car wouldn't allow me to, say, change a parking space on an empty car park if I don't wear the seat belt. Lane-keeping assistance may result in a constant beeping because there's a beep sound each time the car is not exactly mid-lane.
What do you think you'll need the dash cam for? As evidence in case of an accident?

Hi Thomas,

Car Technology and engineering is going very well I'd say. Cameras for sure to be safer, and for legal /traffic issues.

Yes, for evidence for a crash Thomas. Basically mostly that. Worst case would be a recording of a drunk or other stepping out in front on you. Also, I think, recording the actions of a crazed driver...
We too sadly have our fair share of those miscreants.
We have those people, too, but as far as I know dash cam recordings in private cars were not recognised as evidence by courts. Body cam recordings presented by police officers are. Just checked it out: now dash cam recordings - may - be recognised if the recording is short and to the point and doesn't infringe on the rights of a third-party.

Crikey Thomas, I must check if Aussie dash cams are ok for insurance and legal stuff for accidents... ? Fair enough being to the point.
A waste if not.

My desire for a back camera is more for the sake of backing over people, pets and most especially children. We've seen that happen now and again in Oz with Mum or Dad backing over and killing thier own children. The emotional pain of that would haunt one without end.

I actually backed over a pet cat we had about 40 years ago and it was horrible and my farmer's daughter's wife, insisted I put it out of its misery with just cause. It's back was broken and it was writhing in extreme pain.
I did it with the butt of a big axe and still feel rotten about it all. I could not live with myself if it was one of my children, or any child.

I am always hyper attentive now when reversing since killing my cat.
My wife killed another of our next cats by over feeding it with salty raw tuna. Death by kindness.

Last edited:
Crikey Thomas, I must check if Aussie dash cams are ok for insurance and legal stuff for accidents... ? Fair enough being to the point.
A waste if not.

My desire for a back camera is more for the sake of backing over people, pets and most especially children. We've seen that happen now and again in Oz with Mum or Dad backing over and killing thier own children. The emotional pain of that would haunt one without end.

I actually backed over a pet cat we had about 40 years ago and it was horrible and my farmer's daughter's wife, insisted I put it out of its misery with just cause. It's back was broken and it was writhing in extreme pain.
I did it with the butt of a big axe and still feel rotten about it all. I could not live with myself if it was one of my children, or any child.

I am always hyper attentive now when reversing since killing my cat.
My wife killed another of our next cats by over feeding it with salty raw tuna. Death by kindness.
You have a cat and a dog? Or did you have cats and have a dog now? 🤔
Yes, what you are describing is one of my nightmares, too. That's why I take care to always shut the garden gate behind which my dog is always waiting while I'm backing onto our parking space right behind it.
Sarigate.jpg
Worse still: The garage drive of our previous house opened up to a play street and a public playground. What a nightmare it was each time we had to back out of the garage.

Last edited:
Just a dog now for me Thomas but at my family's liveliest we had all sorts of animals and pets. A stubborn Goat, a Horse, a dumb Sheep, Mice, Budgies, Cockatiels, Finch, Galah, (the Galah chewed a hole through our best sofa) ...numerous cats (including a Colour point Siamese a neighbour enticed away from my noisy children), and several precious dogs most notably my retired stud Miniature Pinscher who lived to almost twenty. A little atomic dog not for the faint hearted, truly, but also a loving, loyal, intelligent, brave dog I loved to pieces. At 5 kg I have hilarious memories of him chasing two Rhodensian Ridgebacks about their own farm.
Living semi rural I also had a great lttle terrier snake dog called Benji who always went first on bush walks.

I've gone too far the other way now perhaps with an overly timid dog. A Chihuahua cross Kelpie Rescue dog who has issues with hoses, brooms, other dogs, children, ... a delicate dog I called "Denny".

Denny my wee dog is cuddled excessively by the Vets where I go with him. Kissed on his lips without consent even! A big practise too. They love him to bits and the head vet there once did a very cheap clean and scale on his fangs without any anesthetic.
So compliant it's easy. I do his ears and nails with rarely an issue. Even successfully tying off a couple of skin tags myself that dropped off within a fortnight. Easy.
And the once per season bath. He knows when I'm preping with his towels, ... and tries to hide. Ha!
It's funny with him excited afterwards and running about hither and thither.

Whilst at Uni back in the dark ages, I bought a Golden Labrador Retriever puppy I named Pippin. Sure enough, as my Dad predicted, my life was too busy to care properly for Pippin dog. My work was thousands of km away, but I came back home only now and then. Pippin seemed very happy with my Dad, ...

Eventually after getting my own life on an even keel I asked my father for Pippin back.
Dad rightly said "************ off son" , with him loving a very gentle and special dog. He was special. I buried him under the lemon tree he died under years later.
Both my girls met Pippin.

Last edited:
We have those people, too, but as far as I know dash cam recordings in private cars were not recognised as evidence by courts. Body cam recordings presented by police officers are. Just checked it out: now dash cam recordings - may - be recognised if the recording is short and to the point and doesn't infringe on the rights of a third-party.
Our police are always appealing for dashcam footage of any incidents that may have been recorded.

we had all sorts of animals and pets. A stubborn Goat, a Horse, a dumb Sheep, Mice, Budgies, Cockatiels, Finch, Galah, (the Galah chewed a hole through our best sofa) ...numerous cats (including a Colour point Siamese a neighbour enticed away from my noisy children), and several precious dogs most notably my retired stud Miniature Pinscher who lived to almost twenty.
That is some menagerie Terry.

Wow. That is well over 100 in human years. Cant be.

Hi Craig, 7 dog years per 1 human year is a very ruff guide. Smaller dogs do live longer and big dogs have shorter lives. Have a look at the table below for a better guide: Dog-Age-chart-to-human-years-infographic-800x1456.jpg
15 dog years for the first year, 9 dog years for the next year and then 4 dog years per calender year after that for 'Small' dogs.
Extrapolating the Small dog column we get
17 calendar years = 84 dog years,
18 calendar years= 88 dog years,
19 calendar years = 92 dog years, and
20 calendar years = 96 dog years.

I reckon my old Min Pin called Mack, got up to 95 dog years, less than a hundred though. He was a very healthy dog very well cared for by me. He was also a top shelf Stud dog before I bought him, then sterilised... having spread his blood line... in Queensland.

I wouldn't want a short lived big dog. It's too upsetting when they die early. I once had a gorgeous Golden Labrador Retriever called Pippin. He lived to 14 calendar years or 78 dog years. I loved him dearly and was greatly grieved on his passing.
I'm hoping my current Chihuahua cross Kelpie dog Denny will live to at least 16 calendar years or 80 dog years. More I hope and no expense spared to keep my little boy healthy. I've already spent thousands of dollars on his Vet bills, mostly for dental issues because of the meaty chunk bones I used to give him. His vet has now got me to put him on a diet with fortnightly weigh-ins.
Denny doesn't like dieting and blackmails me emotionally sitting next to his empty food bowl looking at me with his big soulful eyes. I even weigh his meals too. 40g × 2 wetfood/ day and 30g of dry kibble, which is good for his teeth. I brush his teeth too, ...
He likes his wet food lightly microwaved, with his joint meds mixed in as recommended again by his vet.

I wish you well Craig in finding another dog. Google breeds for sure.

If I can, I'd like one more dog before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I fancy a mid sized German Pinscher, smaller than the Doberman Pinscher and bigger than a Miniature Pinscher. Lovely very loyal and intelligent dogs I believe, and a fierce protector and guard dog.

I, like my daughters and Ex, am a great dog lover. My youghest daughter has a Golden Lab called Hugo who is a boisterous and destructive hound digging holes under her home's foundations, ... She has her Cats too. My Golden Lab had wonderful manners and easily toilet trained unlike my Mad Mack min pin.
My Current lad is 99% toilet safe and came with that as an innate behaviour.

My eldest daughter loves her birds and lizards and did a lot of Volunteer work in an animal Sanctuary caring for injured creatures. We've all got farming type backgrounds like my Irish Farmer cousins, pigs and strawberries 60 years ago. ... and my Ex's family with once 400acres of prime pasture Beef Cattle in the hills just above Perth. My girls loved our semi rural ways.

Me too and loved seeing heaps of Western Australia as a young Surveyor often sent bush.

Last edited:
Hi Craig, 7 dog years per 1 human year is a very ruff guide. Smaller dogs do live longer and big dogs have shorter lives. Have a look at the table below for a better guide:View attachment 2184
15 dog years for the first year, 9 dog years for the next year and then 4 dog years per calender year after that for 'Small' dogs.
Extrapolating the Small dog column we get
17 calendar years = 84 dog years,
18 calendar years= 88 dog years,
19 calendar years = 92 dog years, and
20 calendar years = 96 dog years.

I reckon my old Min Pin called Mack, got up to 95 dog years, less than a hundred though. He was a very healthy dog very well cared for by me. He was also a top shelf Stud dog before I bought him, then sterilised... having spread his blood line... in Queensland.

I wouldn't want a short lived big dog. It's too upsetting when they die early. I once had a gorgeous Golden Labrador Retriever called Pippin. He lived to 14 calendar years or 78 dog years. I loved him dearly and was greatly grieved on his passing.
I'm hoping my current Chihuahua cross Kelpie dog Denny will live to at least 16 calendar years or 80 dog years. More I hope and no expense spared to keep my little boy healthy. I've already spent thousands of dollars on his Vet bills, mostly for dental issues because of the meaty chunk bones I used to give him. His vet has now got me to put him on a diet with fortnightly weigh-ins.
Denny doesn't like dieting and blackmails me emotionally sitting next to his empty food bowl looking at me with his big soulful eyes. I even weigh his meals too. 40g × 2 wetfood/ day and 30g of dry kibble, which is good for his teeth. I brush his teeth too, ...
He likes his wet food lightly microwaved, with his joint meds mixed in as recommended again by his vet.

I wish you well Craig in finding another dog. Google breeds for sure.

If I can, I'd like one more dog before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I fancy a mid sized German Pinscher, smaller than the Doberman Pinscher and bigger than a Miniature Pinscher. Lovely very loyal and intelligent dogs I believe, and a fierce protector and guard dog.

I, like my daughters and Ex, am a great dog lover. My youghest daughter has a Golden Lab called Hugo who is a boisterous and destructive hound digging holes under her home's foundations, ... She has her Cats too. My Golden Lab had wonderful manners and easily toilet trained unlike my Mad Mack min pin.
My Current lad is 99% toilet safe and came with that as an innate behaviour.

My eldest daughter loves her birds and lizards and did a lot of Volunteer work in an animal Sanctuary caring for injured creatures. We've all got farming type backgrounds like my Irish Farmer cousins, pigs and strawberries 60 years ago. ... and my Ex's family with once 400acres of prime pasture Beef Cattle in the hills just above Perth. My girls loved our semi rural ways.

Me too and loved seeing heaps of Western Australia as a young Surveyor often sent bush.
Interesting. For a start, there seem to be slightly varying tables for determining a dog's age. Your table got my attention since I'd just checked my dog's age at the vet not long ago which shows her age as 72 while other tables say she's 68. She'll turn 13 years in November.
One of my neighbour's dog, a mixed-breed dog, also was 20 years old.

Last edited:
This old dog called Bobi is 30 years old:
eddb58d1c9f3f4e89cf4d97be9fb68ac.jpeg.jpg
Bobi broke the record for oldest dog ever at 30 years-old, is pictured at Conqueiros, in Leiria, Portugal, February 4, 2023. REUTERS/Catarina Demony

We are contemplating making our next a rescue dog too Terry. Prefferably around six months and definitely toilet trained as I recall not very fondly of the trials and tribulations of toilet training four puppies over the past 20 years. :confused:
When I had an elderly dog and a young dog, the young dog would follow the elderly dog out into the garden, she did her business there as she copied the elderly dog. Pretty amazing!

When I had an elderly dog and a young dog, the young dog would follow the elderly dog out into the garden, she did her business there as she copied the elderly dog. Pretty amazing!
Bubbles did same with Chloe and as she was a female who squat to pee Bubbles never once lifted his leg over his 16 years. Yes Jess dogs are pretty smart.

This old dog called Bobi is 30 years old:
View attachment 2189
Bobi broke the record for oldest dog ever at 30 years-old, is pictured at Conqueiros, in Leiria, Portugal, February 4, 2023. REUTERS/Catarina Demony

Amazing, all our dogs (family) should live this long. Is hearbreaking to say good bye to them about every 12 years.

Back