What makes a great bowling attack?

mas cambios

What makes a great bowling attack?

I saw this:

Every country knows you need an aggressive fast bowler, a swing bowler,and a spin bowler. All 3 need to be front-line bowlers and not batsmen who can turn their arms around.

and it got me thinking. Is this guy correct in his thinking or is he barking up the wrong tree.

Recently, you could argue that Australia have come closest to this, with Lee (fast), McGrath (swing (more offcut though) and Warne. Is this the secret to why they did so well for so long? In the Ashes, England had two out of the three (fast and swing) but lacked the quality spin option; if they had it would they have won 3 or 4 nil?

Thinking further back and the great West Indies attack of the late 70's and early 80's was a four man pace attack -would the side have dominated even more if they had added a swing bowler and a quality spinner? Again, though going further back and it could be argued that most teams stuck to the fast, swing and spin formula but with varying degrees of success.

Is cricket really that simple, that the secret of a good bowling attack can be broken down as suggested or is there more to it?

I'm intrigued by this and would love to hear what others think.

Re: What makes a great bowling attack?

For me:
1 out and out quicky who bowls 90mph+ consistently
A swinger- someone who can bowl consistent and varying swing
A line and length fast-medium- consisent, probing line and length, with abit of seam movement
A top quality spin bowler

I therefore think that Australia's attack of McGrath, Lee, Gillespie/Kasprowicz and Warne is one of the greatest attacks of all time. You've got the pace from Lee, consistency from McGrath, Swing and Pace from Dizzy and Kaspa and at the time the worlds best spinner in Shane Warne. Doesn't get much better than that tbh.

I would prefer:
2- fast bowlers,
1- Medium fast bowling All-rounder,
3- spinners(off,leg & left) preferably one of them a genuine All-rounder.

It's interesting to see that so far you've all gone for more than 3 'true' front line bowlers.

although the England 05 ashes attack was good, I would still go with either 2 fast and 1 swing/ 1 fast, 1 swing 1 line and length style bowler along with a good spinner and someone like Collingwood and KP for medium pacers and a back up spinner if you want to mix things up.

2 quickies (Jones/Anderson) 2 seamer's (Broad/Sidebottom) and 1 spinner (Monty), all backed up by 2/3 variety bowlers (Collingwood/KP or Vaughan) for a crisis. No room for Hoggy, Harmy or Freddie (out of form, favour or out of the game, you guys pick).

This is the future, all we need is the batsmen to fire....

Yeah, true stilll struggling at the higher level, when Broad has done so well. If you classed Colly as a true all-rounder (which he could be) you could drop Anderson and play another batsman (needed!!!).

Cook, Vaughan, Bell, KP, Colly, Shah, Ambrose, Broad, Sidebottom, Jones, Monty (would do a job).

I think one fast aggressive bowler like Lee and two swing bowlers and a spinner would make a good attack. But spinners are optional on most tracks so I would go for a medium pace bowler who can bowl reverse swing. I think during the 70's the people were more afraid of pace bowlers then they are now because of all protective gear thats why swing is more important than pace in today's game.

leggeb4 said:
Yeah, true stilll struggling at the higher level, when Broad has done so well. If you classed Colly as a true all-rounder (which he could be) you could drop Anderson and play another batsman (needed!!!).

Cook, Vaughan, Bell, KP, Colly, Shah, Ambrose, Broad, Sidebottom, Jones, Monty (would do a job).

If only we could get Jones back, fit and bowling well. He's only 29 so could go on for another 4 years at least, seeing as most of his body will be 'young' in terms of wear and tear (save for those knees).

Back