List Of Drills For Leg Spin Bowling

CancelledUser2014

Account Cancelled by User
There are many, many drills that we (leg spinners) use to perfect our art. I'm trying to compile a list of all these drills. From the simplest to the most complicated. If you can think of any other drills please add them to the list:)
1) stand Start Drill
2) spinning a ball from hand to hand
3) spinning a ball against a wall
4) target practice
5) flight drill with a string
6) flight drill with a hula-hoop
7) flight drill with stumps in front of the target
8) Harry Shapiro balance and alignment drill
9) walk in drill
10) bowling over a short distance against a wall
11) bowling with the intention of getting maximum revs but not worrying about accuracy
I'm sure this is a very incomplete list and there are plenty more ideas, so add a few and lets keep leg spin going!

You missed out my personal favourite:-

12) Spinning a stress ball against the wall in the office instead of working

Sounds like fun:D
Personally I don't know how you spin a ball besides a cricket ball with the same wrist and finger flick. If I do it with a tennis ball I barely have any control. A stress ball is even lighter, so how do you have control over it? (When you try to give it a huge flick and get just as much revs as with a cricket ball)

I think I use a tighter grip with the stress ball, the fingers squeeze the ball a bit. But even without that I can do the wrist flick and unfurl the fingers to impart decent spin. A couple of weeks ago I practiced exclusively with the stress ball for about a fortnight, I can tell you that after that it was really hard going back to a 51/2 oz ball! Even two weeks weakened my wrist. But I wanted to give my spinning finger a rest after relentless practice for 18 months and it feels better for it.

So whilst I would recommend experimenting with other balls (and objects as recommended by Philpott = spin anything!), don't overdo it and pick up the 51/2 oz ball as well.

I have found doing round the loop with a stress ball incredibly useful, though. You really learn to appreciate the whip/karate chop action. It's definitely worth trying.

I think I use a tighter grip with the stress ball, the fingers squeeze the ball a bit. But even without that I can do the wrist flick and unfurl the fingers to impart decent spin. A couple of weeks ago I practiced exclusively with the stress ball for about a fortnight, I can tell you that after that it was really hard going back to a 51/2 oz ball! Even two weeks weakened my wrist. But I wanted to give my spinning finger a rest after relentless practice for 18 months and it feels better for it.

So whilst I would recommend experimenting with other balls (and objects as recommended by Philpott = spin anything!), don't overdo it and pick up the 51/2 oz ball as well.

I have found doing round the loop with a stress ball incredibly useful, though. You really learn to appreciate the whip/karate chop action. It's definitely worth trying.

Is spinning the ball from hand to hand very important? I do it regularly, but not as much as Philot suggests. Whenever I do it it feels like I'm not really practicing anything, only damaging the callus on my spinning finger. I do the round the loop drill too, but I don't really need it anymore, since I can already control my angle of spin perfectly. I use the hand ro hand drills mostly for getting used to different types of balls, in games to warm up, and if I haven't been bowling a lot.

In my view it's essential to do it almost daily, but it's probably more important for those of us in the Northern hemisphere as we can't get out and bowl so much in the wet and icy winters. I get a lot out of it. Strengthening fingers, wrist and the bowling arm and honing technique to get more revs. I've only been bowling leg spin for 18 months though so I'm still learning all of the time. It was really useful for learning the wrong un and I practice the flipper click a lot too to strengthen the thumb and gradually increase revs.

I just went out into the garden yesterday and saw how many times I could hit the stumps out of 6 balls.

Alternately, if you have stumps that fall over individually, you can see how many balls it takes to knock them all over.

It's the middle of summer in NZ and I haven't been able to bowl for 2 weeks due to the weather, spinning the ball hand to hand is pretty much all that is available.

hey I've just invented one, quite proud of it :)

Underarm Vertical Delivery

Bowl underarm sending the ball vertically with spin - and catch it as it comes down!

Imagine the cricket strip is behind you running vertically up towards the sky - so a ball that spins clockwise as viewed from above is the legbreak.

The idea is that you can generate good arm speed and get more of a sense for how the ball can spin from the pace-generating movements of the arm. With gravity fetching the ball for you.

can anyone please provide details or video of following drills...

4) target practice
5) flight drill with a string
6) flight drill with a hula-hoop
7) flight drill with stumps in front of the target
8) Harry Shapiro balance and alignment drill
9) walk in drill
10) bowling over a short distance against a wall
11) bowling with the intention of getting maximum revs but not worrying about accuracy

Harrry-Shaprio1.jpg

Can anyone think of any drills for using your front arm properly?
I have a few drills which I like to use for my front arm. First one is a standing start and one step drill. Really focus on using your front arm. The other one that I just started using and I found it works really well, is a kneeling down drill. You don't use your lower body so you can really feel how well you are using your front arm.

Here's a great drill to practice both line&length and turning the ball.
Turning the ball in:
Stand in the crease and place a pad upright where you'd be stretching forward to pad away an in-turning delivery. Keep it upright by placing a strong stick or whatever it is that you want to use so that when it gets hit it doesn't fall over. Now you should try to turn the ball around the pad and hit the stumps. You could also add a bat and make a "gate" through which you can try to turn the ball.
Turning the ball away:
Place a pad on leg stump and try to pitch the ball outside the leg stump, turning it across the pad and hitting off stump or missing it.

Back