The Lounge

Was in Colac (2 hours west of Melbourne) for the latest round of motorkhana. 2nd in both car class and Novice. Running 2nd in the standings in both. Still a chance to win novice, but it's not looking good. The bloke running 3rd tells me the guy leading spend a bit of money on his car and for practicing. Both of us don't have the means to spend similarly. Even in the lowest level of motorsport, money is making a difference. Spewing!

That's a pretty good effort, you must be having a great season so far.

Thanks Lj. It's been fun, once you realise what you're doing and accept the flaws of motorsport competition. It's not a competitive competition, at least the classes I'm eligible for. Being honest, the standings results have been boosted by competing in all the rounds so far, and lacking depth of committed competitors. Most guys aren't committed to compete in the whole competition. The guy running third hadn't competed in all meeting, and will miss the next one. Had he been there the whole season, it would be real tight for Novice.

In some ways, there's a similarity with playing for your cricket club. Guys winning batting/bowling averages because of eligibility, when they might not have been the best bat/bowler. Keeper winning the fielding trophy, in absence of the captain bothering to pay attention to the outfield during the season.

Either way. I'm in line to get TWO trophies at presentation night! Yes! :):cool:

Round 8 of Motorkhana. 900km round trip (Melbourne - Mt Gambier), just to get flogged by competitors who hadn't beaten me all year! Don't know what happened. My car doesn't like the bitumen as much as the grass/mud. But still collected those points. Apparently, the last round (10) may be cancelled. If that's the case, it's impossible to be beaten for 2nd in both my classes. If it's isn't, then it's almost impossible to get beat for 2nd. I want those two $10 trophies at presentation night!

Just spent the week in Perth at my sisters, I like to go back to do things but when you aren't used to it running around and traffic seriously gives us the shits. Merredin maybe ****ing boring but it's so much more of a relaxing way to live.

Geez. I reckon if I went to Perth. I'd find the traffic a breeze. It's all relative, I guess.

Whenever I've driven through the really small country towns, I've wondered what it's like living there at night. What would it have been like before the internet???

The bigger country towns have the better balance. Like Mt Gambier and Phillip Island, where I spent the weekend.

That is a 92 KH Laser 1.8l. I never see footage or phots of myself. But when I look at the angle of the car. No wonder I did poor at Mt Gambier. The others weren't doing that. It never felt that dramatic.

Got 16 pure breed eggs from a breeder in Perth to put under 3 of my chooks last weekend, anxious wait to see if they hatch in another 2 weeks time!

We await the outcome of the new chicks.

A couple of weeks ago, we had the 9th of 10 rounds of Motorkhana out at Laverton (SW suburbs of Melbourne). 2nd place in both Class C and Novice is confirmed. But also, unfortunately, there's no chance of winning Novice now :(

But as I said before, the guy who won has spent some money. We actually haven't spoken at all to each other, even though we talk to other competitors. Like there's some kind of silent competitive tension lol. As a result of not hanging out with each other, and being in different car class, I hadn't been able to have a look at what advantages this guy had bought. Bu there was a moment he was having to position his car for an upcoming run, while I stood aside waiting my turn which was a little while away. So I'm looking at what he's running with as he's doing a 3pt turn. He's using full on tarmac rally tyres! God Damn! As you can see from my pic, I'm definitely not using them!

I might have to buy some for next year though, along with a hydraulic brake kit. Possibly lower the car a little for better weight distribution/balance, if the cash is there. With a year of experience under my belt now. Go for the Class C standings overall, maybe see how I go in overall Handicap standings, and the Australian Championships, which will be in Bendigo next year.

I don't know.

lol I'm an idiot, recharged the battery on my old Corolla that I hadn't driven for about 6 months and got it going, after driving it around town and the bush all week get home and it cuts out dead. Lift the bonnet and realise I forgot the do up the hold bracket up properly and it's swung around and short circuited it.. A bit annoying having to buy a new one for a car I was only going to sell for about $400, but I guess at least it happened pulling up at home rather than on dirt track 4kms out of town or something..

What are you doing??? That bomb of a Corolla is perfect for motorkhana! Class A. If didn't buy the Laser (at my mechanic's suggestion), I was going to get a Corolla (Seca). They have motorkhana in WA. You can share a car with up to 5 people, so you and your friend can do it! If you have a trailer to tow it, you won't have to worry about paying it's yearly rego.

DO IT!

What are you doing??? That bomb of a Corolla is perfect for motorkhana! Class A. If didn't buy the Laser (at my mechanic's suggestion), I was going to get a Corolla (Seca). They have motorkhana in WA. You can share a car with up to 5 people, so you and your friend can do it! If you have a trailer to tow it, you won't have to worry about paying it's yearly rego.

DO IT!
lol, it's a 1990 and the engine seems to go ok as it still got up to 160km on the highway. There is something pretty wrong with it though in that particularly in second gear if you floor it it just really revs but only quite slowly accelerates, maybe the clutch or something? I seriously know stuff all about cars..

Not really something I'd be into enough to bother with but I reckon he would really like it, haven't talked to him for ages but I'll mention it to him next time.

If you're not into it, you're not into it. But it's that kind of situation you have with your car that other motorkhana competitors take advantage of to compete.

Back