Subbies Thread

Grand Finals should always be played on neutral grounds !!!

I think it would be necessary for there to be geographical limitations. You could be forgiven for assuming that would be common-sense, but as you know the VTCA has a neutral ground policy, yet, last season saw fit to stage the final between SthCaulfield and Y'ville Club at Crofts Reserve, North Altona, despite SC finishing higher on the ladder. The Feb 2015 edition of Leading Edge says this decision was much to the ''chagrin'' of Sth Caulfield. This season, there were complaints from both teams the pitch at Murrumbeena on the first weekend was below standard. A neutral ground policy means it is the Association that is responsible for selecting the venue, and it is on their head if is not up to standard.

I like the home team grand final in Subbies cause it gives the first round much more importance for the number 1 side with the double chance to win their qualifying final cause if they lose, they lose their home rights as we have seen with Oakleigh this time.

I like the home team grand final in Subbies cause it gives the first round much more importance for the number 1 side with the double chance to win their qualifying final cause if they lose, they lose their home rights as we have seen with Oakleigh this time.

You have made a valid and thoughtful point and in so doing made me appreciate differences brought about by starting the final series with 6 rather than 4 teams. BTW, I am making a comeback this week to curating at the Yarraville Oval where I will be assisting the club's curator at McIvor prepare the pitch for the 3rds final as the club's curator at the Oval is this week unavailable. At least we have till Sat am to, hopefully, get the pitch to match hardness. As to matches commencing on Friday morning, I wish the curators all the best, given Thursday's forecast.

Some surprising results on the weekend, would have backed Melton to get over Plenty Valley but Ayes has just taken the yellow out of them, Ormond knocking off Malverns 232 was also an upset in my book, didn't think they had the batting!
Caulfield will be pretty disappointed to once again miss out on a flag, they looked the best team all year for mine but as usual they have stalled in the finals, caught a bit of the game and Dorey was much slower than I thought, not very effective either.
Who knows whats going to happen at RPB, terrible deck so its a toss of a coin who gets the chocs there.
Oaks should feast on Ormond this weekend, Pinwell should go through them relatively easily.

guys i got a question i m gonna play turf next year as i m playing on synthetic atm. should i buy spike shoes or will by rubber shoes suffice. Take into consideration that i bat only. Any help would be appreciated. Like is it compulsory to buy spike shoes on turf?

guys i got a question i m gonna play turf next year as i m playing on synthetic atm. should i buy spike shoes or will by rubber shoes suffice. Take into consideration that i bat only. Any help would be appreciated. Like is it compulsory to buy spike shoes on turf?
Subbies page probably isn't the place for this question. But get some spikes. You won't find a piece of chalk or a texta behind the stumps to take guard with on turf. You can wait for the annual cricket sale they have in cheltenham in about september, they'll be half price there.

its the $80 question everyone would like answered.

I think it would be necessary for there to be geographical limitations. You could be forgiven for assuming that would be common-sense, but as you know the VTCA has a neutral ground policy, yet, last season saw fit to stage the final between SthCaulfield and Y'ville Club at Crofts Reserve, North Altona, despite SC finishing higher on the ladder. The Feb 2015 edition of Leading Edge says this decision was much to the ''chagrin'' of Sth Caulfield. This season, there were complaints from both teams the pitch at Murrumbeena on the first weekend was below standard. A neutral ground policy means it is the Association that is responsible for selecting the venue, and it is on their head if is not up to standard.

I agree they would be responsible but a little common sense should come into it when choosing the location and quality of the ground but unfortunately it hasnt happened in the subbies this week.

I was yesterday shown images of the RPB pitch taken by the smartphone of a Y'ville firsts player who attended the final. What pitch! It was as green as the outfield and seems to have played accordingly. I have long believed that, irrespective of the method adopted by an Association in selecting finals grounds, cricket administrators need to take greater interest in ensuring that pitch preparation for senior grade finals matches are of a standard that will result in these matches being a good advertisement for their Association. Can that be said of the final at RPB?

That was one of the great chokes by Oakleigh

Give us a spell Scratch. Yesterday you said Ormond by 80 runs, was that a typo. Any side chasing 250 in a GF that gets to within 10 runs with 10 and 11 at the crease can hold their heads up. Yes they were in a winnable position but runs on the board have to be got. Not sure how many people were at Murrumbeena last weekend but the crowd at Ormond yesterday was massive. Great advertisement for the subbies home final model.

The crowds and standard were about the same. Choke might have been a bit harsh , but the run outs were dumb and they got about 2 bad lbw's

That was one of the great chokes by Oakleigh
I agree, terrible choke at 2-175, did they actually win the toss and bowl? unbeaten home and away season gone to waste, you have to wonder about Oakleigh's ability to handle finals pressure.
Plenty Valley deserved winners against RPB, RPB will be back though great squad.

Back