Subbies Thread

What are you on Westy, getting your comps mixed up

Unfortunately, I am now at an age where I can claim a seniors moment and it is accepted without question!!
BTW, from a Premier Cricket source is that CV's Geoff Tamblyn has suggested HMU get into discussions with W,bee.

Unfortunately, I am now at an age where I can claim a seniors moment and it is accepted without question!!
BTW, from a Premier Cricket source is that CV's Geoff Tamblyn has suggested HMU get into discussions with W,bee.

I don't believe for a minute that the failed HMU-Dandenong merger will slow CV's desire to get Premier clubs into Werribee, Melton, and the Diamond Valley. CV probably see Werribee as the weaker of the 3 shortlisted clubs so are pushing HMU in that direction. But, it just doesn't work. The HMU players will not travel to Werribee so it really isn't worth pursuing. Plus, isn't Werribee groundless next season? I don't like the merge with Noble option that they are apparently chasing, too close to Dandenong and I don't think CV will sign off it. Noble have great facilities and a lot of coin so I understand HMU's interest but why wouldn't they re-open dialogue with Kingston or approach Beaumaris, Bentleigh, Hampton or Moorabbin. There is a massive underrepresented triangle between St Kilda/Melbourne/Prahran south east to Dandenong and South to Frankston. HMU sould be talking to those clubs where there is at least some chance of convincing CV of approving.

I would think that South Caulfield would have a better list and facilities than those you mentioned, great ground and are in their second Grand Final in a row.

I don't believe for a minute that the failed HMU-Dandenong merger will slow CV's desire to get Premier clubs into Werribee, Melton, and the Diamond Valley. CV probably see Werribee as the weaker of the 3 shortlisted clubs so are pushing HMU in that direction. But, it just doesn't work. The HMU players will not travel to Werribee so it really isn't worth pursuing. Plus, isn't Werribee groundless next season? I don't like the merge with Noble option that they are apparently chasing, too close to Dandenong and I don't think CV will sign off it. Noble have great facilities and a lot of coin so I understand HMU's interest but why wouldn't they re-open dialogue with Kingston or approach Beaumaris, Bentleigh, Hampton or Moorabbin. There is a massive underrepresented triangle between St Kilda/Melbourne/Prahran south east to Dandenong and South to Frankston. HMU sould be talking to those clubs where there is at least some chance of convincing CV of approving.

Somewhere like Oakleigh makes geographical sense from the South's perspective. But both the West and North have better claims imo. Agree that Hawthorn-Werribee doesn't sound too convincing for anyone who knows Melbourne's geography.

If they weren't groundless i'd say a swap of HMU and Plenty Valley makes more sense to the long term goals of CV.

What a waste of a good wicket table and grounds down at Monash.

The gap between Premier first XI clubs and Sub district clubs is too great to conceivably have a promotion relegation system. Not to mention the gap between premier 2s and subbie 2s.

After talk about players at sub district level who are good enough to play premier cricket but are not able/willing to commit. Would they all leave an Oakleigh or Caulfield when they get promoted? If you want to play premier and test yourself against the best cricketers in the state, join a premier club.

I agree with your point about the existing clubs geographically being a historical representation of melbourne's cricket playing population. CV should turf HMU out of the comp (they don't even have a ground ffs.) and promote PV to service JIKA and the DVCA.

This has been partially addressed. (NM to Greenvale, SM to Cranbourne, Richmond to Glen Waverly, Firzroy to Doncaster, Collingwood to Camberwell and now, wanting to kill off HMU and introduce a club to the Northern suburbs or the West).

If you have a situation where you are aspiring to get promoted into premier cricket, you are creating a conflict of interest detrimental to CV's objectives of identifying talent and getting them playing premier cricket and eventually hopefully state/international.

You're Caulfield, you've got a talented 16 year old legspinner and a young opening batsmen and you're there or thereabouts. You won't want them to head off to St Kilda next season, as you're in the hunt to promotion and losing them will weaken your side. Keeping them may not be what is best for their development.

Somewhere like Oakleigh makes geographical sense from the South's perspective. But both the West and North have better claims imo. Agree that Hawthorn-Werribee doesn't sound too convincing for anyone who knows Melbourne's geography.

If they weren't groundless i'd say a swap of HMU and Plenty Valley makes more sense to the long term goals of CV.

What a waste of a good wicket table and grounds down at Monash.

CV will have sides in Melton, Plenty and Werribee in the near future, I just don't think Hawthorn is a suitable relocation for any of them. I don't see St Kilda, Prahran, or Melbourne merging any time soon so a 22 team comp is where it is heading. Oakleigh is a bit too close to Monash/Richmond for mine.

The "gap between first XI clubs and Sub District club is too wide" is an urban myth usually espoused by people who have never played in either competition. I have no problem stating that under a promotion/relegation model, any of Werribee, Plenty Valley or Melton would win enough games to "stay up" after their debut season.

I think you're right about the lower sides, eg. 3rds and 4ths struggling initially, but the clubs can build from "the bottom up." quickly, as long as the First XI can stay up. And all will quickly expand their talent ID programs, and the prospect of having Premier Cricket on their doorstep will alleviate the "travel factor" for both the players and their parents.

The concept of foisting struggling Premier clubs in growth corridors hasn't worked for perennial strugglers like South Melbourne/Casey and North Melbourne/Greenvale. Communities want to embrace their own clubs, not some hybrid organisation.

As far as the mythical "16 year old spinner" is concerned, I think SS has got it spot on, and in any case. i'm not big on hypotheticals to support an argument.

This maybe all irrelevant now with the HMU fiasco, but I think the Subbies should continue to be a stand alone competition until CV can present an acceptable alternative, and what they have delivered so far is a million miles away from that.

The "gap between first XI clubs and Sub District club is too wide" is an urban myth usually espoused by people who have never played in either competition. I have no problem stating that under a promotion/relegation model, any of Werribee, Plenty Valley or Melton would win enough games to "stay up" after their debut season.

I think you're right about the lower sides, eg. 3rds and 4ths struggling initially, but the clubs can build from "the bottom up." quickly, as long as the First XI can stay up. And all will quickly expand their talent ID programs, and the prospect of having Premier Cricket on their doorstep will alleviate the "travel factor" for both the players and their parents.

The concept of foisting struggling Premier clubs in growth corridors hasn't worked for perennial strugglers like South Melbourne/Casey and North Melbourne/Greenvale. Communities want to embrace their own clubs, not some hybrid organisation.

As far as the mythical "16 year old spinner" is concerned, I think SS has got it spot on, and in any case. i'm not big on hypotheticals to support an argument.

This maybe all irrelevant now with the HMU fiasco, but I think the Subbies should continue to be a stand alone competition until CV can present an acceptable alternative, and what they have delivered so far is a million miles away from that.

Agree 100% with that statement. Transplanting clubs hasn't worked yet. Although, perhaps they need more time to develop an identity in those communities.

Don't agree about the standard. I still believe the gap is too wide. I peg subbies at somewhere just below premier 2s standard. With less depth but guys who could play 1s. You may disagree, that's fine that's your opinion. But this would be exacerbated after a promotion. Does Sean Ayres want to run around playing premier 1s at ~43 years old. I doubt it. Sheedy, Jaensch? They pulled the pin on premier cricket. If they want a club in the North, do it properly. Give them a spot, allow them to plan strategically and build the club up without the threat of relegation. If they were relegated, suddenly CV has lost its representation for the Northern Suburbs. It might be 5 years before they get back up (Grand Finals are hard to win... ask PV).

As for the hypothetical, it is to merely highlight where a perverse situation may arise that a club wants to keep their young talent as they push for promotion (under the promotion/relegation scenario). Detrimental to CVs idea of how it would wish to develop talent.

And nor would Hoppers be any more appealing geographically. Geoff Tamblyn's statement may be indicative they were never in the hunt for Premier. I imagine Hoppers will be not be pleased at this development. What a shambles!

Predictions - Qualifying Finals

North / West

RPB
v Ivanhoe
Plenty Valley v Yarraville
Melton v Altona

South / East

Oakleigh
v Malvern
Caulfield v Endeavour Hills
Ormond v Noble Park

An exciting qualifying final round awaits.

In the North / West, the game of the round is clearly Melton v Altona.

With the lower ranked side having to force a result, the challenge lies with the bowlers in having to be able to get the 10 wickets. Altona had that problem in their qualifying final last year.

In the South / East, the game of the round is Ormond v Noble Park. Ormond have held a top 3 spot pretty much all the way but have struggled recently and Noble Park were considered almost certainties to not make finals a few rounds ago, which makes this quite an interesting matchup.

Noble have generated great momentum in their past few wins having match winners with bat and ball and I'm tipping them to beat Ormond here.

Last edited:
10.25 saturday night and 2 of the 3 finals in south east firsts have no scores on my cricket - shame shame shame
Not good enough. Went down to Ormond and they started well on a good track, then watched a few overs at the VTCA final where south Caulfield were under the pump, but still going. Not much difference , except the fielding by Yarraville Club was a class above the rest

Looked at the results , but what happened with the Fields

Looking at mycricket only two blokes got double figures for EH with King carrying Caulfield yet again. He would have to be the quickest bowler in the comp.

As for this weekend, I'm expecting Oakleigh to bounce back against Caulfield. That is going to be some semi final.

Looking at mycricket only two blokes got double figures for EH with King carrying Caulfield yet again. He would have to be the quickest bowler in the comp.

As for this weekend, I'm expecting Oakleigh to bounce back against Caulfield. That is going to be some semi final.
An away game against the number two side is a decent size penalty for Oakleigh by losing to Malvern.

Back