Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

I'm sure this has all been brought up before. But why doesn't the DVCA have a midweek T20 season to try and tackle participation drop off. I know so many guys who can't commit to weekends and training so they are lost to the game. It doesn't make sense.
I suspect less people would be able to commit to midweek play. Replacing a lot of the saturday games with T20 comps might work. Personally? I think all the lowere grades should be one dayers at least, because it increases the flexiblity.

Host of issues here I would have thought. Being: 1) How many people would actually play, 2) cannibalising people who would otherwise train during the week 3) increasing the burden on club volunteers.

I think the issue you raise is an important one, just not sure that casual T20 would be the way to address it.

I suspect less people would be able to commit to midweek play. Replacing a lot of the saturday games with T20 comps might work. Personally? I think all the lowere grades should be one dayers at least, because it increases the flexiblity.
Why make the lower grade one day games. Not good for anyone having to smash or get smashed each week.
Having the lower grades one day comps enables higher grade cricketers to take games off and play in the one day comps and bully the regular lower grade cricketer.
From the scores coming from Barclay and Money, most teams in these divisions can't bat longer than 40 overs. Maybe change this completion to the one day comps.
DVCA cricketers should watch Kane Williamson bat. He leaves balls that aren't going to hit the stumps. Too many batsmen think bat on ball is the key. There is a disproportionate number of catches taken by the keepers and slips fielders.

I just think local cricket has been really slow on the uptake with T20 cricket. The current northern region thing is for current A/B Grade players who are happy to commit 20 hrs a week to cricket per week. The majority of people can't make that commitment. No other social local sport asks more of its players. I want to be clear, I'm not talking about the A grade stuff. T20 is clearly the future of social cricket in our busy world. 50 kids rock up to Milo. 30 to U12's. 20 to 14's. 12 to 16's. Some of those give seniors a go for a year or 2. Let's be honest, of those 50 kids that love their Milo cricket, only 2 are left at the club by the age of 20. We offer nothing to a young guy who can only give 5 hours a week of their time. Just sayin.

The drop off in juniors to seniors is nothing new. Of my under 16 team mates, I'm the only one still at the club. It'll always be the case though as there are so many competing sports that are easier to play. You don't have to be that good to play footy, soccer or the big one, basketball, to be on the court most of the game. As we all know, you have to be good at batting and/or bowling to at least enjoy cricket and even then, especially for the batsmen, you could end up getting a blob and then not touching the ball all day in the field! A lot of kids these days can't handle that.

While I do agree that one day cricket will probably be the way of the future, I don't think it'll be T20. Actually, I think T20 would be detrimental to the game if it were to become only that, as I think it takes more skill to slog than it does to sit on the bowler and wait for the bad one. Rather, I think getting 50 over 1 day games is the way to go. Saturday morning junior cricket is dead, even though the DVCA said they'd look into getting it going again, it's dead boys. Start senior matches earlier and play 50 over 1 day games. If we are worried about the extra time, do the junior trick of bowling 5 or 10 from one end before swapping.

I don't know about 100 overs in a day though? Maybe for the higher grades. A maximum of 40 over innings for the lower grades?

The heat on Saturday would be another reason a one day comp would be a good idea. With the day being called off, it spoils two weekends. Otherwise it would mean one round was called off and there would've been results the previous weekend.

The heat on Saturday would be another reason a one day comp would be a good idea. With the day being called off, it spoils two weekends. Otherwise it would mean one round was called off and there would've been results the previous weekend.
I do like the idea of more one day games and with the restructure of the comp there will be many more one dayers next year.
However it's rare to have matches called off during the year for heat. It's not like it happens every 2 weeks or anything.

I have to say I'm quite impressed to see women's cricket now being televised on channel 10. Hopefully, this will help all of us attract and retain more girls in the sport (especially for the junior competition).

Is it time for the DVCA to bite the bullet and appoint a full time administrator...?

We currently pay token salaries to the Exec 'volunteers' of around $40,000 a season (???)
That covers Sean Winstone (admin), Mash ( Juniors), Bowden ( fixtures - gone), and not sure of the rest but i might assume Volders as Treasurer... and some assistants...
All of these people, even though they get some reward for their time, are basically volunteers who work full time during the week and so only donate token parts of their spare time to the job...

My suggestion is the DVCA charge all clubs an additional $1000+ per season and pay a full time admin to work 38 hours a week in a full time dedicated role.
The role could then pay maybe $70-80K a year.
Someone who can do all the grounds, fixtures, Mycricket admin, Cric Vic stuff, Junior carnivals, website, sponsorship, tribunals, radio show, etc..and answer emails and phones when you need them to, not days or weeks later, if at all...

Thoughts...?

Rather than resorting to the tax and spend philosophy faster than the labor party in government, I'd be looking for a few retired (from full time work) cricketers who want to keep busy and earn a couple of bucks on the side. That provides someone available almost all the time and doesn't cost too much more.

Rather than resorting to the tax and spend philosophy faster than the labor party in government, I'd be looking for a few retired (from full time work) cricketers who want to keep busy and earn a couple of bucks on the side. That provides someone available almost all the time and doesn't cost too much more.

Aren't you retired?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/942841f0e3709a81f7311a826e6b14c9

Seriously, what is wrong with the people running the clubs in the DVCA , how could most clubs knock back a pitch that closely resembles a cricket pitch.

Did you actually read the article? I didn't see anywhere in there mentioned that any club knocked back the pitches.

The issue that most clubs have is the councils have said that the costs will be $24k to replace the pitch (which is shared with the council), then it would cost the clubs a further $1500 per season to have the pitches uncovered and stored. That's a huge financial burden on clubs. That's what clubs have issues with.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/942841f0e3709a81f7311a826e6b14c9

Seriously, what is wrong with the people running the clubs in the DVCA , how could most clubs knock back a pitch that closely resembles a cricket pitch.

Possibly because replacing two pitches per year means that 19 clubs pitches are changed over a 10 year period. Ridiculous for clubs to be playing on different surfaces week to week.
And (possibly) because the proposal would not include changing training facilities over, which would be at clubs expense, would not include storage facilities for the covers, which would be at clubs expense,
Not sure as we aren't in Nillumbik, but this is not in line with the other two councils, so before you read an article and start bagging clubs, do a bit of research.

Possibly because replacing two pitches per year means that 19 clubs pitches are changed over a 10 year period. Ridiculous for clubs to be playing on different surfaces week to week.
And (possibly) because the proposal would not include changing training facilities over, which would be at clubs expense, would not include storage facilities for the covers, which would be at clubs expense,
Not sure as we aren't in Nillumbik, but this is not in line with the other two councils, so before you read an article and start bagging clubs, do a bit of research.
So before the trampoline pitches were installed , did each club have storage facilities and paid a levy of $1500 per anum ?

$1500 per annum is not a burden considering the amount of money waist
ed in player payments.
It's only 4 registered members fees per anum

That's just the ongoing costs - which I suggest the DVCA should spread across all clubs and raise subscription fees.

The bulk upfront costs, which could also include going from a 6ft to an 8ft pitch, at the clubs expense, as well as the share of the pitch itself.

And then there would be a doubling of these costs when you put in that the 2nd ground for each club would also need to be done, as this is where most of the junior kids play, which is the major issue.

So before the trampoline pitches were installed , did each club have storage facilities and paid a levy of $1500 per anum ?

No, but since they were introduced, advances in technology has shown that these new pitches need covers that need to be stored, unlike when councils simply dumped dirt on the concrete and left it there for 6 months.

Back