Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

What are peoples thoughts on portable sight screens? I think it'd help the game and considering the cash flying around at the moment, they aren't that expensive.

What are peoples thoughts on portable sight screens? I think it'd help the game and considering the cash flying around at the moment, they aren't that expensive.
With the majority of blokes bowling 110-115km/hr do you really think they're necessary? Keep in mind, presumably the batting team will need to move them if a bowler changes sides of the wicket. At most grounds that would be a big pain in the ass at at least one end!

How much would BU have to pay you to wear a white shirt and stand behind the bowlers arm all day?

In all honesty, it would be good to have, at some grounds more than others (Panton Hill is awful), but I don't think its a viable option for a couple of reasons.

1. The cost to purchase and maintain.
2. Where would they go during the offseason?
3. Damage every week. Lets be honest, it would happen.
4. A pain to move them every over etc.
5. There is money better spent elsewhere.

In saying that, its not a stupid idea. I just don't think it would be something clubs would look at.

Like the idea but it will be a beacon for vandalism.

True, but that's why you go with the portable ones on a wheeled frame so you can store them at the end of the day.

With the majority of blokes bowling 110-115km/hr do you really think they're necessary? Keep in mind, presumably the batting team will need to move them if a bowler changes sides of the wicket. At most grounds that would be a big pain in the ass at at least one end!

I think it would certainly help. I know our ground gets pretty dark, even during day light savings and it's not just for the seniors, think about the juniors playing in the evenings. They are cheap enough that you could buy several to set up to cover both sides of the wicket and if properly looked after, they should last indefinitely.

I should have clarified that it wouldn't be viable for lower grades, I was more talking about any game played at a main ground.

Lets just think about this for a minute. The link you sent, they are 3820 pound each. That's $6328 per sight screen, or $12656 for both, because you wouldn't have one. Would your club have a spare $13k laying around to be able to fork that out?

Then, where the hell would you put these 8m x 4.8m (plus the width of the frame, say another 3m) at the end of a game? Thinking about the logistics of clubs ground layouts (ie Research couldn't really take theirs off the ground) So do you then have to build a room for them? Or do we leave them out to be damaged?

As said earlier, it would be great to have, but its just not a feasible idea for local clubs.

12 grand isn't a lot of money, not when far more than that is thrown at players by clubs. Even if you don't like that design, I reckon you could make your own that's modular and breaks down better for storage. If it would be great to have, as you say, the difficulties you mention aren't insurmountable. It would only take a little bit of drive and talent.

Its 4.5m high, as close an to impossible to store as you're likely to get for a piece of cricket equipment. I do like the idea though, theres a few places that have back background that at 555pm can be a nightmare.

12 grand isn't a lot of money, not when far more than that is thrown at players by clubs. Even if you don't like that design, I reckon you could make your own that's modular and breaks down better for storage. If it would be great to have, as you say, the difficulties you mention aren't insurmountable. It would only take a little bit of drive and talent.

How about we start with every 1st 11 providing a scorer each week first......

Maybe just highlight which grounds are the ones that need it badly the most and help put it there. Dont need to have sightsreen on every ground.

Surely we should be able to start games when everyone is ready before 1pm this year. Yeh, yeh it won't happen for top sides because everyone has to score ************ points by doing ever more complex yet equally useless warm ups, but for lower sides where you just rock up, smoke a cig, scull a V and get your whites on, it should be game on at 12:20 and back to the club to catch the last hour or more of cricket.

Surely we should be able to start games when everyone is ready before 1pm this year. Yeh, yeh it won't happen for top sides because everyone has to score ************ points by doing ever more complex yet equally useless warm ups, but for lower sides where you just rock up, smoke a cig, scull a V and get your whites on, it should be game on at 12:20 and back to the club to catch the last hour or more of cricket.
What about the blokes that work Saturday mornings and also will have kids player either junior cricket or basketball on Saturday mornings and going by history most blokes don't turn up to lower grades till 12.45

I'm sure this has all been brought up before. But why doesn't the DVCA have a midweek T20 season to try and tackle participation drop off. I know so many guys who can't commit to weekends and training so they are lost to the game. It doesn't make sense.

Back