Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

3 metres and not necessarily a DVCA enforcement...

Apparently it's written into the JLT insurance guidelines that any boundary must be marked/coned off 2.74m from the fence. If this isn't done and someone cops an injury due to colliding with the fence, etc. the home club is liable for any damages.

Correct.

It was actually enforced as of last season. Most clubs just didn’t read the “fine print”.

A teammate of mine suggested we should have the 'BigCricket T20' where we get two teams from the regulars here and just sledge the crap out of each other. lol

I think the association have some thinking to do with this 50 percent rule. Apparently we have a rule that’s says if your main ground is unfit for play if you have another ground that is, you must move your Shield side to that ground in order to play a game. Don’t have an issue with that, except we have to disenfranchise our seconds and they have to play in a different shire instead of playing at home, our ones play at a ground that has no facilities (apart from a toilet block), we lose money due to not having a bar or canteen facility to sell food or drinks, we have hastily organise marquee’s etc to provide some form of shelter and comfort, get started on time with a ground that is in perfect condition, get through till 4pm when we are informed that all our efforts are a waste of time because we are the only ones that even got a start. Now judging by what happened in the other Shields, I’m a little bit surprised by the lack of action in Mash and think that some clubs and perhaps umpires didn’t go to as much effort to at least get a start. I understand there needs to be a degree of fairness in these situations but if your going to apply rules that force clubs to prioritise that their Shield side plays at an alternative venue if available at short notice, thus forcing your seconds to go elsewhere which wasn’t confirmed until about 11.45am Sat morning, then don’t penalise the club again by making their efforts void. Simple solution is the Association has until 11am to make a decision on play, by either carrying out inspections or making a judgment based on current weather conditions and a likely continuance or otherwise of those conditions worsening or improving. If no decision is made then an effort by clubs to get a start is required. Those that do get a start can play as per normal with results to stand provided minimum overs are reached. In this day and age I don’t think we need the 50 percent rule and I think if all clubs are aware it’s always game on regardless of how many get a start, then we’ll see a bit more preparedness and urgency to get on for some play.

If you get a game going it should stand after minimum amount of overs have been bowled, regardless of the other games in the division. It was a bit of a strange day, I mean Loyola was an inch deep at the back end where Telfer was perfect, it'd have been difficult to make an all sweeping decision about weather to play or not at 11am yesterday.

That time of year conversations about the ground allocations for Grand Finals start.

These are all made on the assumption that the following grounds will be available and clubs will be willing to host, this is also assuming Eltham don't have rooms atm? If the rooms are suitable, I'd have them for Mash instead of Diamo.

Barclay Shield - Plenty
Money Shield - Lower Eltham
Mash Shield - Diamond Creek

Mernda is a great ground with great facilities, but it makes no sense to have a grand final so far away from other games. The DVCA could make the 2 weekends a real event with all games played within 10km of each other, people could pick and choose and float between games.

That time of year conversations about the ground allocations for Grand Finals start.

These are all made on the assumption that the following grounds will be available and clubs will be willing to host, this is also assuming Eltham don't have rooms atm? If the rooms are suitable, I'd have them for Mash instead of Diamo.

Barclay Shield - Plenty
Money Shield - Lower Eltham
Mash Shield - Diamond Creek

Mernda is a great ground with great facilities, but it makes no sense to have a grand final so far away from other games. The DVCA could make the 2 weekends a real event with all games played within 10km of each other, people could pick and choose and float between games.
Spot on I reckon. Good call Savage

If you had finals played at Mernda and Plenty, that would meet your requirement of grounds being close to each other. You even have South Morangs grounds to choose from if you wanted to be closer. Viewing and atmosphere wise it'd be good to have the top two GF's in one location.

If you had finals played at Mernda and Plenty, that would meet your requirement of grounds being close to each other. You even have South Morangs grounds to choose from if you wanted to be closer. Viewing and atmosphere wise it'd be good to have the top two GF's in one location.
Its a no from me

Unless you play for Mernda. NO ONE wants to go to Mernda.

How many clubs are over that way though, it makes much more sense, at least in the first 2 shield comps to have the grannies closer together around the DC/Eltham area. If there was a suitable ground set up with 2 adjoining ovals, that would be amazing though it's a good point, SM or Mernda is just a bit far.

If your clubs playing in a granny, you'll go anywhere, but I'm thinking the DVCA is missing the boat a bit with their showpiece grand finals so far apart.

Whittlesea, Laurimar, Mill Park, Thomastown, Thomastown United, Old Paradians, Bundoora, Bundoora United, Greensborough, Lalor Stars, Riverside, Epping, Mernda, South Morang, Plenty....over half the DVCA clubs are over my side, so I don't think having the top two grade finals at Mernda is out of the question. I'm guessing you live out Eltham way, so perhaps we are both being biased to where we live respectively (I'm in Bundoora).

In any case, whatever the ground selected, it's not really a long drive is it?

Whittlesea, Laurimar, Mill Park, Thomastown, Thomastown United, Old Paradians, Bundoora, Bundoora United, Greensborough, Lalor Stars, Riverside, Epping, Mernda, South Morang, Plenty....over half the DVCA clubs are over my side, so I don't think having the top two grade finals at Mernda is out of the question. I'm guessing you live out Eltham way, so perhaps we are both being biased to where we live respectively (I'm in Bundoora).

In any case, whatever the ground selected, it's not really a long drive is it?

We’ve tried to South Morang and Mernda GF experiment, no atmosphere and just not good for watching cricket, especially finals.

Mernda is a beautiful surface, but it just doesn’t suit.

Plenty and Eltham hands down best for atmosphere, if we were to look anywhere else then possibly Parade as that is a great ground also.

Last edited:
We’ve tried to South Morang and Mernda GF experiment, no atmosphere and just not good for watching cricket, especially finals.

Mernda is a beautiful surface, but it just doesn’t suit.

Plenty and Eltham hands down best for atmosphere, if we were to look anywhere else then possibly Parade as that is a great ground also.
Mernda pitches are only 6 feet wide. Too small for finals cricket.

Atmosphere is what you make it and as for 6ft pitches, you mean bowlers might have to bowl to the batsman rather than bowling 4ft wide of off stump....geeze, what a burden....

Atmosphere is what you make it and as for 6ft pitches, you mean bowlers might have to bowl to the batsman rather than bowling 4ft wide of off stump....geeze, what a burden....
If you have spent the whole year batting and bowling on wider pitches then have to adjust to a narrower pitch. It is a big deal.
PS the run ups on the North oval at Mernda are substandard and don't have shoulders. After spending so much money on the facilities, they real skimped on the pitches to satisfy the football clubs.

Back